Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Particles in thermal equilibrium follow a Maxwellian distribution; for a high-temperature Maxwellian plasma, the high-energy long tails can undergo fusion via quantum tunneling past the Coulomb barrier. :) Lanthanum (La) is the 57th element, so the fusion of two TSLa would be TSFl (the latter being element 114, flerovium) ;)

Okay, maybe that was too nerdy...
Ever see the old Charlie Brown episodes with his teacher and the way she talked?

Yeah, that's what I just heard..."wah wah...wah wah wah...wah" lol

Dan

Recent V3 discussion has illuminated the sheer importance of range to me - there are so many primary and secondary order benefits for a larger battery. It is nothing like having a larger gas tank.

Tesla has been been hit IMO by announcing the $35k version years ahead of introduction. Of course it has had secondary benefits of meeting the mission requirements but I am not sure they outweigh the problems it has caused. My preference would be for MY to avoid the SR option completely if possible. This will force people to M3 if they need anything for much less than $50k. They can always announce a SR 2 years later if necessary. The $25k Golf competitor will also be unveiled by then most likely. Doing this would really ensure comparisons to MY are fruitless and provide a helping hand to Supercharger CAPEX etc.

To add: Taking to account the effect of FSD and the TeslaNetwork on the need/want for individual vehicle ownership.

Fire Away!

Did anyone catch the falling knife ?
It’s a bouncy ball sir!
Cool. Easier to catch.

True, but it's back above $310 again:

giphy.gif

(Sorry about this, I'll see myself out.)

Last edited:
No, because that's not going to happen. Too many people seem to have zero understanding of capacitors yet are speculating about their impact.

And to all of those people doing that: please take the time to do the math (range, sustained performance, peak performance, cost, weight, and volume) before posting on the topic again. Because right now this forum appears to be split by those who've actually run the numbers on a vehicle using ultracapacitors, and those who haven't. And the people JRP3 is referring to fall into the latter category.

Just caught up to the thread... whew

So regarding supercharger v3 and Elon's tweet about reduced capex, I was just guessing what if utilities own a part of supercharger infrastructure.

Wild guess. Utilities purchase PowerPacks and own them and install near supercharging locations. Utilities also own transformers to 480V. Tesla will own downstream equipment as usual but they have reduced capex by not purchasing high voltage transformers and not funding battery storage by themselves. Reduced opex by reducing demand charges.

Wild guess. Utilities purchase PowerPacks and own them and install near supercharging locations. Utilities also own transformers to 480V. Tesla will own downstream equipment as usual but they have reduced capex by not purchasing high voltage transformers and not funding battery storage by themselves. Reduced opex by reducing demand charges.

480V AC to DC converter application for Superchargers?

Looks like Elon is heading to Seattle.

Tesla is globally the largest producer of batteries and has the largest and best equipped R&D department in that sector.

Elon talked about so called break throughs from time to time and said he has not seen one really working outside a test environment and for high unit production. Since Tesla started they did build an amazing knowledge and moat no one ever came near and you see the results in the unchallenged range as well as charging ability of the vehicles. You can assume every start up with a promising technology does knock at their door one day and Tesla does test and validate and in the last years decline each time them to be helpful or even promising enough to engage.

One of my investment thesis in Tesla has always been that they will accelerate that competitive edge either by continue inventing as Elon stated that is all what matters or if a new challenger appears they will just buy it. The later happened now which gives me a very positive feedback that we will see further improvements none expect or called positive.

Despite all other automakers claiming having a group breaking technology developed but all the time disappointing us with reality range and charging speed and other Tesla did not over promise but deliver.

Let all be prepared we likely see another break through an unseen ability to deliver range, longevity and other which will make the competition look even more bad in the years to come.

Exciting times ahead.

As a final note, again a testimony of confidence from Tesla just to spend $200 m shows us that they continue what is required as a market leader that is invest in innovation and never rest.

I wonder whether Tesla fell early because some were selling Tesla to buy MXWL.

Maxwell Technologies Climbs 50% as It Agrees to $217 Million Acquisition by Tesla
MT NEWSWIRES 7:07 AM ET 2/4/2019

MXWL 4.6
light_up.gif
+1.53 (+49.84%)

10:07 AM EST, 02/04/2019 (MT Newswires) -- Shares in Maxwell Technologies Inc.(MXWL) climbed by nearly 50% in early trading after the company agreed to be acquired by electric car maker Tesla (TSLA) in an all-stock transaction.

Tesla will pay $4.75 per share, a 54.7% premium to Maxwell's closing stock price Friday of $3.07 per share, valuing the company at around $217 million.

Just caught up to the thread... whew

So regarding supercharger v3 and Elon's tweet about reduced capex, I was just guessing what if utilities own a part of supercharger infrastructure.

That wouldn't be unreasonable. My local utility (and my current client) basically has that model with the Chargepoint L2 chargers. KCPL built out a pretty sizable infrastructure of these using the Nissan EV grant money.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy