Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is energy being left behind due to reduced regen for every EV driving in cold weather. Whatever MIGHT be recovered with capacitors MIGHT mean something. Not sure about use of capacitors but there is clearly a loss of efficiency that begs to be solved..
That's a heat issue, which can be solved by dumping regen energy into pack heating somehow. That would need a huge pack heater, though, to absorb ~60+ kW of regen as heat.

Out of Box thought, but the UC can act as reservoir, and then can discharge into the battery even as the Semi is moving ;) cheers !!
Yes, but it's so much lower capacity that you'd need most of the pack to be ultracaps, and range would be shorter requiring more frequent recharging.

• Informative
Reactions: humbaba

Out of Box thought, but the UC can act as reservoir, and then can discharge into the battery even as the Semi is moving ;) cheers !!

facepalm.jpg

Okay, if we're cracking nerdy jokes: I imagine that rather than distributing the TSLA shares evenly, the vast majority of MXWL shareholders will get a low number of TSLA shares, but there will be a "long tail" and some shareholders will end up with vastly more TSLA shares than average. ;) Unfortunately for them, they'll be so excited that they'll run into other shareholders at such high speeds that their TSLa shares will quantum tunnel through their accounts and fuse together into TSFl, releasing gamma radiation and killing them.
Whoa!!!
That reply was so far over my head I need a telescope to see it! lol!
(why do I always end up feeling really stupid every time I visit this thread?)

Dan

• Funny
Reactions: dc_h
Wow:

DETROIT, Feb 4(Reuters) - Volkswagen AG unit Electrify America said on Monday it will install Tesla Inc(TSLA)battery storage packs at more than 100 charging stations across the United Statesto keep costs down for drivers charging electric vehicles.

I see it as a clever ploy to divert Tesla's batteries away from their cars and thus delay the BEV disruption. :)

Speaking of Superchargers and V3... I've been thinking for a while. Can the existing inverter cabinets be retrofit to charge powerpacks? I'd certainly think so; don't they use standardized inverter modules common between Superchargers and Powerpacks? If so, I think there's a direct upgrade path for existing Superchargers rather than a "tear down and replace" approach.

They'd need:
  • Enlarged enclosure for the battery cabinets (unless the existing enclosure is already large enough)
  • Possible zoning modifications for the enlarged enclosure and the new hardware (although possibly not)
  • To re-run higher gauge cable through the conduits to the SC pedestals
  • New SC pedestal cables, capable of handling V3 currents.
They wouldn't need:
  • New zoning
  • Paving
  • Trenching
  • New conduits
  • New pedestals
  • New enclosures
  • New grid connections
  • New inverter cabinets / racks
I'd think it well cheaper and far faster than building new Supercharger stations.

Powerpack's bidirectional inverters are 380V to 480V AC to a DC bus that the individual modules in the PP then DC-DC to charge/discharge the cells. Supercharger's one way AC-DC converters max out at ~277V AC.

At the least, the utility transformer would need replaced. At that point, swapping entire units is likely fast and cheaper than trying to in place retrofit.
Edit: forgot a Y setup is 480 L-L and 277 L-N, power is compatible.

Hmm, what is "the expiration of the Offer"? Today? Or five trading days from now? If it's the average over the past five days, they're getting a rotten deal on Tesla stock :Þ

Which price are you comparing to? $300-$310s is not a bad entry point. Maxwell would fare better with the $250, but any rise from here means less shares to them.

Last edited:
Wow:

DETROIT, Feb 4(Reuters) - Volkswagen AG unit Electrify America said on Monday it will install Tesla Inc(TSLA)battery storage packs at more than 100 charging stations across the United Statesto keep costs down for drivers charging electric vehicles.

Preliminary step before VW buys Tesla's battery division on the cheap.

Whoa!!!
That reply was so far over my head I need a telescope to see it! lol!
(why do I always end up feeling really stupid every time I visit this thread?)

Dan

Particles in thermal equilibrium follow a Maxwellian distribution; for a high-temperature Maxwellian plasma, the high-energy long tails can undergo fusion via quantum tunneling past the Coulomb barrier. :) Lanthanum (La) is the 57th element, so the fusion of two TSLa would be TSFl (the latter being element 114, flerovium) ;)

Okay, maybe that was too nerdy...

Utilities are not indifferent. Florida voted against a power grab by utilities against distributed Solar. It’s a morass, yes, but there are companies trying to do VPP’s (large aggregated PV & battery arrays) it is a death knell for some utilities. If the Australians succeed in their VPP of 50,000, they will essentially have a VPP of between 2.5 and 5 _Gigawatts_ powered by _sunlight_, not coal, gas, nukes

The relative indifference is to how the rates are allocated among the residential, commercial, and industrial customers of the utility.

Perceived encroachments on utilities' monopoly turf as granted by Certificates of Convenience and Necessity has been and will continue to be resisted, using the twin bugaboos of grid reliability and system stability.

I don't know anything about Oz's regulatory regime, but have the impression that it is somewhat different--do the individual states have their respective analogues to reliability councils here? Also, my impression is that the Australian grid may not have been built out with the same level of redundacy as here.

VPPs that do not connect to the US grid avoid the regulatory process.

• Informative
Reactions: humbaba
Read: dilution, not cash.

Hmm, what is "the expiration of the Offer"? Today? Or five trading days from now? If it's the average over the past five days, they're getting a rotten deal on Tesla stock :Þ

If I am doing this correctly, it looks like none of the dates you quoted have happened yet... from the Merger agreement on Maxwell’s IR page....

The exchange offer referenced in this communication has not yet commenced. This communication is for informational purposes only and is neither an offer to purchase nor a solicitation of an offer to sell shares, nor is it a substitute for any offer materials that Maxwell will file with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (the "SEC"). At the time the exchange offer is commenced, Tesla and its acquisition subsidiary will file a tender offer statement on Schedule TO.....

Edited because I am an idiot and don’t want to spread inaccuracies

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger