Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has long pooh-poohed the notion of pairing ultracapacitors with li-ion cells, and IMHO with very good reason. Maxwell appears to have been focused these past several years on adapting their electrode tech for li-ion cells (see the above link), and it looks quite useful.

Yup, year back I heard the same talk. But I think they are gonna do more R&D to research and integrate.
Also what Tesla says in public might not be what it is really doing in reality.

My understanding is Ultracapacitors can charge/store energy faster, but they cannot hold the energy as efficiently as Li cells. So I think there are good efficiencies to be derived from using them both.(charging time&efficiency) ..

Maxwell Technologies Transportation Solutions: Automobile

~ cheers

The Offer will value each share of Maxwell common stock at $4.75 per share. Pursuant to the Offer, each share of Maxwell common stock will be exchanged for a fraction of a share of Tesla's common stock...

Read: dilution, not cash.

equal to the quotient obtained by dividing $4.75 by a volume weighted average price of one share of Tesla's common stock as reported on the NASDAQ Global Select Market for the five consecutive trading days preceding the expiration of the Offer...

Hmm, what is "the expiration of the Offer"? Today? Or five trading days from now? If it's the average over the past five days, they're getting a rotten deal on Tesla stock :Þ

, and which is subject to a floor that has been set at 80% of a volume weighted average price of Tesla common stock calculated prior to signing.

• Informative
Reactions: humbaba and Lessmog
Yup, year back I heard the same talk. But I think they are gonna do more R&D to research and integrate.

My understanding is Ultracapacitors can charge/store energy faster, but they cannot hold the energy as efficiently as Li cells. So I think there are good efficiencies to be derived from using them both.(charging time&efficiency) ..

~ cheers

It's almost always better just to use more li-ion batteries in place of whatever ultracapacitor you might considering using. You end up with a better, cheaper vehicle from almost every perspective.

Note that even Maxwell has been shifting their ultracapacitor electrode tech into li-ion battery electrodes.

~ cheers
Caps have terrible energy density, pack capacity is much more important than regen potential, and charge speed will not be improved by adding caps because it's still limited by how fast the batteries can accept the charge.

It's almost always better just to use more li-ion batteries in place of whatever ultracapacitor you might considering using. You end up with a better, cheaper vehicle from almost every perspective.

Note that even Maxwell has been shifting their ultracapacitor electrode tech into li-ion battery electrodes.

(Final thoughts..)
I'm thinking more like Semi (where we need to reduce charging time), or roadster (where coast doesn't matter but super performance does)
Also other scenarios more in storage space. But ya not needed for 35K SR M3 ;)

• Helpful
Reactions: immunogold
I've owned Maxwell (hundreds of shares) for years as it's share price has slowly decayed. There was an announcement a month or so ago that it was going sell its division that makes ultra-capcitors. Interesting arbitrage opportunity?
So have I---about 5 years. I'll lose a point or so. but will be adding about another 400 TSLA. Thank you very much.

Edit: MXWL has recently talked about getting potential design wins with major OEMs. I believe this merger is a pre-emptive move on TSLA's part.

Last edited:
(Final thoughts..)
I'm thinking more like Semi (where we need to reduce charging time)

It does not do that. Your li-ion pack is your limit, and all that space / weight you dedicated to an ultracapacitor could have instead been more li-ion cells to spread the charge out among for a lower C-rate.

or roadster (where coast doesn't matter but super performance does)

Nobody wants a Roadster that can only accelerate but can't maintain speed. The more space / mass you dedicate to ultracapacitors, the less sustained power the pack can provide (to say nothing of range or cost - ultracaps are crazy expensive)

It's not just not a reasonable solution, to anything. Run the numbers.

I don’t understand your numbers panasonic just reported that their new battery lines will be running by next month and will produce 36 GWh worth not 22 to 23 you report in your comment
I think we need a reminder of what 36 GWh of production in 2019 means:

(This is from February 2014.)
Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 8.04.55 AM.png

And it is only at 30% of its planned footprint today. I thought Elon was never on time and never kept his promises.

Maxwell doesn't have any silver hamers do they ?

Okay, if we're cracking nerdy jokes: I imagine that rather than distributing the TSLA shares evenly, the vast majority of MXWL shareholders will get a low number of TSLA shares, but there will be a "long tail" and some shareholders will end up with vastly more TSLA shares than average. ;) Unfortunately for them, they'll be so excited that they'll run into other shareholders at such high speeds that their TSLa shares will quantum tunnel through their accounts and fuse together into TSFl, releasing gamma radiation and killing them.

Last edited:
Caps have terrible energy density, pack capacity is much more important than regen potential, and charge speed will not be improved by adding caps because it's still limited by how fast the batteries can accept the charge.

Out of Box thought, but the UC can act as reservoir, and then can discharge into the battery even as the Semi is moving ;) cheers !!