Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It should be noted the final paragraph in that Bloomberg article:

There was also some initial enthusiasm around lawmakers negotiating for the revival of certain expired tax breaks, including for electric-car purchases. However, that optimism was fading on Monday among lobbyists, as negotiators weren’t considering including an expansion of the credits, and the White House was lobbying against it.

on the other hand...maybe that is BS unsubstantiated reporting:

--With assistance from Dana Hull.

EDIT: right on cue a mini sell off following the Bloomberg article dropping.

842D6FD6-CDAB-46BF-A67E-8A0C1357174A.jpeg

Last edited:
Someone either taking a lot of profit or shorts making their last stand lol. Very much feels like this is a proactive attack with selling pressure to avoid a run up in the final hour above 385/share

probably just prepping for that CNBC coverage people have been waiting for...

Breaking: Tesla shares dropping in afternoon trading, down 2% since the start of trading this week.

EDIT: I corrected some mistakes. So re-read if you have already read it.

So, here's the way I try to think about margins and squeezes. Your broker loans you 100 shares that you will sell at the current price because you believe the SP will go down. You get the proceeds from the sale of the shares. They want you to have enough money in your account at all times for them to be able to buy back the shares you borrowed from them. However, since they are smart enough to know there will be days like today and the day earnings were released, they not only want you to keep enough in your account to be able to buy the shares back TODAY, but also a nice buffer in there in case there is a big run-up. Typically, I think this number is like 25%.

So let's say you shorted 100 shares at $100. You would need to have $10,000 dollars (you got this from selling the shares) + $2500 ($12,500) in your account to do the transaction. If the stock goes down in price, obviously, you will hear nothing from your broker. However, if the price goes up, you no longer have a 25% cushion. So, if the price moves up to $110, you need to have $11,000 + $2750 ($13,750) in your account. They will send you a margin call for $1250 - if you don't deposit it, they will use the money in your account to buy the shares that you owe them. Whatever is left in the account is obviously yours.

Now, you can see from this where, if you made a bad bet, you better have deep pockets to keep your margin satisfied (not just the margin, but the cost of the higher priced shares). That is where the short squeeze often gets started. Obviously, when a stock moves up quickly as TSLA has over the last couple months, it requires short sellers to constantly increase the money in their account to cover the buyback (+25% margin). At some point, for a lot of people, they either don't have any more money to put in their account, or they just give up. So, they close out their short position (buy back the shares at the higher price). This creates demand for the stock, and in theory, will make the price go higher, which will in turn put MORE pressure on other shorts. Every time the stock moves up, it is "squeezing" SOMEBODY out. And that person (I'm saying person to keep it simple) causes the price to go higher and squeezes more out.

It basically becomes like an Avalanche - once the squeeze starts, it just starts gathering steam, the more steam it gets, the faster the stock rises and the more steam it gathers (because it will collect more and more shorts).

The problem with this theory for TSLA is that this stock, and its short sellers are like NONE I have ever seen. They are not betting against TSLA based on fundamentals or technicals - nope, this is an emotional thing for them now. It is to the point of war. They would rather their kids go hungry and live under a bridge than lose this war against Elon Musk. They will hold on as long as they can find the money to cover their margin calls. I believe it would take $1000 to $1200 SP to trigger a squeeze. One can only hope!
Or

Someone either taking a lot of profit or shorts making their last stand lol. Very much feels like this is a proactive attack with selling pressure to avoid a run up in the final hour above 385/share

That some big bear attack right there...

Today some Tesla bears are taking advantage of Forbes willingness to allow "contributors" to spread FUD on a big up day for the share price. The second article linked below appeared on my Thinkorswim newsfeed 16 minutes ago, about when algobots appeared to have picked up the story and initiated a quick TSLA drop that may have triggered the stop limits of weak longs.

Forbes - today: Congress Quietly Considers A De Facto Bailout For Tesla And GM

Forbes - today: Tesla Cybertruck Not Street-Legal In EU

Today some Tesla bears are taking advantage of Forbes willingness to allow "contributors" to spread FUD on a big up day for the share price. The second article linked below appeared on my Thinkorswim newsfeed 16 minutes ago, about when algobots appeared to have picked up the story and initiated a quick TSLA drop that may have triggered the stop limits of weak longs.

Congress Quietly Considers A De Facto Bailout For Tesla And GM

Tesla Cybertruck Not Street-Legal In EU

I think it was the just released Bloomberg article saying:

“There was also some initial enthusiasm around lawmakers negotiating for the revival of certain expired tax breaks, including for electric-car purchases. However, that optimism was fading on Monday among lobbyists, as negotiators weren’t considering including an expansion of the credits, and the White House was lobbying against it.

if this report in fact turns out not to be true, I would think there is a chance Dana Hull gets referred to the SEC for investigation. (LOL - like that would ever happen)

EDIT: democrat Senator from Michigan saying EV credit facing huge resistance from Trump, not likely to be included.

Last edited:
Someone bought 3000 contracts of 15 Jan 2021 400C at 11:11:47 PST. Then immediately, saw the 300K shares dump on TSLA. Does that mean someone bought 3000 contracts so that they can short sell 300K shares on TSLA?

good observation! Sounds like it, shorted 300k shares but capped their losses if shares move above $400.

those options cost ~$60 each, so that short isn’t in the money unless TSLA drops under $320 (probably more once you include margin costs)

So here's a question to ponder...and this is also the reason why I don't do any short-term plays in the market:

Why, specifically, today? What is different about today vs. Friday vs. Thursday vs. any day last week? There's no explicitly new news...
We got a new cat.

Trump cares more about big oil than big auto apparently:

House and Senate leaders negotiating a tax measure in government spending bills are unlikely to include an extension of a consumer tax credit for the purchase of electric vehicles after opposition from President Trump, Senator Debbie Stabenowsays in interview.

• “There has been extreme resistance from the president,” says Stabenow, a Democrat of Michigan and a strong champion of the credit. “It’s going to be very difficult”

TSLA being up ~$20 despite the above news is motherflipping amazing! Excellent strength!

I think today's rise was because everyone saw how great my Model 3 handled in the snow yesterday here in the Midwest.
Trump cares more about big oil than big auto apparently:

TSLA being up ~$20 despite the above news is motherflipping amazing! Excellent strength!
Well heck, if windmill noise causes cancer imagine what filling the country with EVs would do!

Funny, but also... this is the ridiculous level of indoctrination they have reached! Basically, no matter what happens, it's either bad for the company (which is bad for investors) or it proves corruption (which is bad for investors). But I do hope these guys end up paying dearly for making emotional-driven decisions in their investments.

Careful! Just a few different word choices and this post would have been moved to Market Politics!

• Funny
Reactions: Lessmog