Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Look at the volume (7,888) / open interest (105) on the 12/20 $380 strike puts. What is to be gleaned from this?

Maybe I'm not seeing what you're seeing (red).

upload_2019-12-16_19-1-44.png

Saw your post a few minutes ago and tuned in. Has it aired yet?
No, the program ended with no mention of TSLA. I thought I heard the host saying something like "TSLA coming up on The Exchange", but I may have misunderstood. That, or they decided 6.35% is already too high and didn't want to have anything to do with pushing it even higher.

Different time, same story.

View attachment 488834

I remember reading a book a year or two back (possibly Gladwell) where the David vs Goliath myth has actually been wrongly interpreted. It went into great detail describing that in the period of history it is set, David as a slinger was far more likely to win due to his technology advantage (having a ranged weapon). Essentially the battle was over before it even started.

So yes it’s actually a great analogy to today, with everyone seeing Tesla vs ICE automakers as an unfair battle that one adversary is very ill equipped to fight. (Unfortunately many investors have identified the wrong adversary as the ill equipped party.)

WHY sell
I am not selling anything for at least a year barring hypothetical small sales for life expenses

I sold at 382 because I am trying to recoup the number of shares I had back when I sold right before Q3 earnings and then jumped back in at 302 (missed the bigger pop). I will jump back in after a pull back(if there is one?). Don’t do what I do, I am a gambling degenerate.

“Tesla is likely ahead of others on batteries – the core of the electric powertrain,” Levy said.

Levy noted that last year Tesla had a total 44 gigawatt hours (GWh) of battery capacity, with 35 GWh from its Nevada Gigafactory and 9 GWh imported from Panasonic. According to Levy, that’s so far ahead of the industry that it is just shy of the 46 GWh of all other automakers in the world combined. GWh is a unit that measures energy output and represents 1 billion watt hours.

Yet, they still have the stock target at $200 :rolleyes:o_O:mad:

This is the level of stupidity the Brits invented the word Gobsmacked to describe.

And one or more execs at Credit Suisse "earning" a million plus a year are so dim they haven't fired this imbecile yet. o_O

I sold at 382 because I am trying to recoup the number of shares I had back when I sold right before Q3 earnings and then jumped back in at 302 (missed the bigger pop). I will jump back in after a pull back(if there is one?). Don’t do what I do, I am a gambling degenerate.

o_O So you are trying to fix a problem by doing the same thing that caused the problem in the first place? o_O

Maybe I'm not seeing what you're seeing (red).

View attachment 488859

There is a lot of data at the link below, but interestingly it differs from my broker's data (which is showing higher volume; for example ~7,800 vs ~4,000 at the 380 strike puts):

Unusual Stocks Options Activity - Barchart.com

Edit: As usual, I find it hard to glean anything useful from options data. A lot of new put positions were opened today, which reflects both bearish and bullish sentiment -- after all, someone was bullish enough to sell those puts, while someone else was bearish enough to buy them.

I use the one that Grand Papafox posts on his analysis page. I think it was floating at 363-something as of yesterday.
You can get live (updated every 15 sec) updates on Bollinger Bands for TSLA via this permalink: Stockcharts.com

Here are the Bollinger band values as of 14:00:15 on Dec 16, 2019: (see RED text in the chart below)
  • Upper 371.52
  • Middle 344.34
  • Lower 317.15
sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2019-12-16.14-00.png

HTH. Cheers!

No, the program ended with no mention of TSLA. I thought I heard the host saying something like "TSLA coming up on The Exchange", but I may have misunderstood. That, or they decided 6.35% is already too high and didn't want to have anything to do with pushing it even higher.

No you heard correctly. They made it seem like they were going to cover it coming up but there wasn't a peep after.

Man, for the first time ever, I spent some time reading through Mark Spiegel's twitter feed. I read tweet after tweet, on and on and on. One delusion after another. I was thinking to myself subconsciously - how far back (in time) have I gotten after reading a couple hundred tweets? Maybe 3 months? Possibly more. But, the tweets were about more up to date stuff so I was confused. Finally decided to look at the date and oh my, I only made it back to Dec 13th.

This guy is ATE UP!! I mean he has gone totally mental.

Your first hint should be him calling Elon “fraud boy.” If that doesn’t give away his mental state of mind then there’s nothing that will persuade you. This is why CNBC invited him on air, which says a lot about CNBC...

So CNBC Power Lunch just started and None of the lead stories are about Tesla. Amazing! Goes to show how their analysts failed their viewers by focusing on the short stories. Only tuned in to see how they were going to cover this.

yup. a Marketwatch story out in the past hour stated that Tesla is the top performing NASDAQ stock today. CNBC crickets.