Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OT:
jollytrolley1.jpg
How did you get pictures of the new Faraday Future offering?

Dan

I was strong believer in 'no-SW-locked SR pack" .. but ... it really just boils down to the cost of MR.

At the moment that Tesla can afford to sell a "locked MR" as SR for 35k (i.e. at low but positive profits) it will be losing money if they do not do that.
A HW SR will stay SR for the rest of its existence and no future revenue for Tesla.
And most of "locked-MR sold as SR" will be upgraded to MR sooner or later, if not before it happens at CPO sell.

Show me one guy that will pay 35k for a SR and will not be ready to pay 2k for unlocking to MR a few months or a year later.
A close encounter with "0-miles-left, charge now" changes minds fast.

This is the art of selling a $35k car, and earning $37k for most of them.
The sole criteria is the production cost of MR. It must be low enough that tesla can afford to "deffer those 2k/SR revenue"

And of course badges! An unlocked SR needs a new badge.

Haven`t read the Daimler ER, but they could be talking about a different metric. Tesla`s gross profit on the cars is 20%+, but their net profits after SG&A and other items factored in was around 4% in Q3.
Yes, wording can vary.
Normally when referring to "Gross Margin" or "Margin" they refer to direct revenue for vehicle sales less direct expenses which normally include marginal SG&A but not depreciation or amortization. As a general rule TSLA will report slightly higher Gross Margin than competitors because their sales revenue is retail, but will have slower income recognition for the same reason, and slightly higher SG&A, again because of direct sales.

Nearly all analysts fail to understand the implications of the direct sales model, consequently not understanding what WIP and inventory mean for TSLA vs all others.

Either way GM of >20% is an enviable place, ordinarily reached by only highly prized low volume manufacturers such as Ferrari and Porsche, both of which have many parts and other technology from corporate partners/parents which reduce all costs including capex. Almost unheard of vertical integration at TSLA also causes higher capex and higher GM, when at stable volumes. Obviously TSLA growth rates are also unprecedented, so tend to overstate current expenses and capex both. To the extent of Superchargers, stores, service vehicles etc being put in service faster than they would be in a steady state GM also is reduced on a current basis.

All the moving parts cannot easily be reconciled to any steady state because there is no way to know what a steady state would be for them. The gigantic unheralded story (by both bulls and bears) is that the combination of OTA updates, growing reliance on mobile service and fault anticipation plus rapidly improving manufacturing and design are yielding a virtuous cycle that is yielding increasing GM's in all TSLA products. Their accounting conventions are, IMHO, mostly understating their progress. At the present time we can estimate some of these items but there is not enough data or experience to do so accurately.

Overall in the US, roughly a third of MSRP goes to support dealer distribution systems. What is TSLA total distribution costs on a comparative basis? Truthfully we do not know. We do know advertising costs are nearly zero for TSLA vs ~7-10% for competitors. Nearly all of that goes to increased GM's for TSLA.

The US doesn't use VAT, but "sales tax", which is different. Part of the problem - and the reason that prices don't include sales taxes - is that it'd be far harder. US sales taxes vary from state to state, county to county, and even city to city. So, I mean, how do you advertise a price inclusive in tax when you don't know what the actual tax will be in any specific viewer's market?

It's not a consumer protection thing, it's a "US is a patchwork mess" thing ;)
True, then add that US MSRP is rarely the actual purchase price because of dealer negotiations, added "trash and trinkets" etc. I have purchased new vehicles in ten countries. The US is the only one in which I could not know my actual sales price prior to negotiation. Huge exception: Tesla. Only Tesla. We complain about the sales process with Tesla but it is far batter than any other vehicle purchasing experience in the US. I say that despite my complaints about the Model 3 purchase process.

So what's the argument - Tesla can't sustain 5+k/wk in just the US and Canada with no non-pup SR? Well no freaking duh. Who was arguing that they ever would? That said, the closer they get to non-PUP SR, the larger the percentage of their sales they'll move in the US and Canada, and thus the less international shipping and tariffs they have to pay to sell their production.

Lots of bulls here saying "Tesla is (and will be for long) production constrained, not demand constrained."

Because you’re Elon Musk and your sole purpose in life is to accelerate sustainable transportation, not gouge people and keep your EVs unaffordable. That’s why.

The lower prices get, the more people start to think about switching to an EV. Thinking becomes figuring out at what price it’s possible m. Figuring leads to budgeting and discovering true costs of ownership. And that leads to buying.

If you’re confused about the price reduction, its timing or anything else, you don’t understand Elon Musk or Tesla’s mission. You just don’t get it nor do you understand your fellow human and what will motivate them to change.

Sure. But it could be argued that the time to lower prices is when production is fully ramped and all car versions are on the market. If SR is going to be barely profitable, wouldn't it be nice to offset this with higher margin more expensive cars? Buck up the truck in advance, so to speak? Would that help accelerate the SR?

Anyway, I'm 100% confident that Elon & Tesla know what they're doing.

So this price cut got me thinking. The MR probably only makes (financial) sense with PUP right now, but in theory, a $43k PUP-MR means a 38k standard interior MR. If Tesla can pull that off in a few months, does a 35k SR still makes sense? The MR is so much of a better deal on the range/$ scale.

To introduce non-PUP interior at least the following would have to change:

- no heated seats
- no power seats
- textile seats
- no glass roof
- no premium audio system
- removed 2 USB ports

These changes may affect the GA line a lot (less / different wirings). I don't think they will introduce that before PUP SR, too many variables to change.

My guess is the ships continue onto Norway and unload more cars. Elon on the last earnings call - "our whole focus is, okay, how do we get those cars made, get them on a ship as fast as possible, get the ship as fast as possible to Zeebrugge in Belgium then get them over to Drammen in Norway and get those cars to customers as fast as possible."

Do we know if any Norwegians got estimated delivery dates? Belgians and Dutch have been getting text messages about ETA's for the last 2 weeks. I've now just learnt about ETA's in Germany for cars on the second ship. But haven't seen any info at all coming from Norway.. (not saying there isn't).

Johnson is really unlucky with her trading plan. Second month in a row that she's executing options for 1700 shares and selling the stock right away for a gain of literally pennies per share. Personally not so familiar with how these pre-approved trading plans work. Can't you set a limit price under which you will not convert? Her option purchase price is $319.57 and only expire in 2024. Shorter termed calls at that price are already worth $88 so any exercise price set today below $400 seems foolish. What do I miss?
The trading plan can basically be anything that is algorithmically valid*. Maybe her plan is just "exercise and sell 1700/month on the first wednesday" or something. I agree it seems silly, but it might have been set in stone with the expectation that the price would be much higher by now.

*: It can even depend on other stocks: "exercise and sell blah blah if General Motors declares a declining profit".

Can you provide a source?

Employee apparently is telling customers that Elon himself called yesterday with the message to deliver 150 cars today. They were totally unprepared for it which is why they are manning the phones trying to reach as many customers as possible to hear if they have insurance etc lined up. One guy who had to decline because he is flying tonight got a second call at the airport if he really isn't able to make it. So it seems plausible. But on the other hand : it's a story from Tesla employees so anything could be true or not. Witness : some are saying 150, some 200 and another one told a customer only performance cars are on this boat while there is at least one confirmed delivery of a non-performance tonight as well. So...