Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another short manipulated stock, Overstock, tried to force the shorts out by introducing a "digital dividend" -- results were mixed: it did appear to trigger a short squeeze but it also attracted the attent".............

Overstock founder tried to squeeze short sellers, then sold out when the SEC cracked down
The comments to the article are revealing, it looks like amendments went in that make it extremely difficult for longs and opaque, so target the rule makers to become favorable to longs and less owned by shorts perhaps

Hey, I'm not "giving up" -- but I don't have the means to do anything other than buy and hold. I think an obvious option would be to force the SEC to change the rules. One (small) step would be to require disclosure of large short positions. Something like holding more than 5% of the short interest in a stock.

How to coerce the SEC into working against the interests of its owners? That would have to come from the government, so electing congressmen who support reining in those interests would be a start. But that is something I think more appropriate for a political thread.

But attempts to circumvent the SEC rules? That is just asking for legal action asserting stock manipulation. And its hard for me to see how it would not be. Circumvention isn't the answer, correcting the rules is. IMO.
Correcting the rules has already been done-----in 1938!. Spend some time reading the SEC Act of 1938. Due to rampant, manipulative short selling in the 30's, the SEC implemented the uptick rule. I.e., short sales had to be initiated on neutral or up ticks. The reason it was done was specifically to "protect investors from manipulative short selling". This wording, at least to me, pretty much rules out short sellers as "investors". So, in 2007, they decided to fix something that wasn't broke (worked for 70 years) and removed the up tick rule. To add insult to injury, the SEC has been gradually attempting to boost short sellers into the category of "investors", so that they can be accorded the same protections as real investors. You may have noticed over the last several years the SEC using the term "market participants" when referring to the shorts. Next step will be "market participants" are, of course, "investors".

Last edited:
I found this part interesting:
For some time now, I’ve been discussing Tesla’s valuation with fellow academics who specialize in finance and strategy: irresponsible skeptics trying to convince their students that the company is overvalued, that its price is the result of some kind of collective hallucination, and that Elon Musk is little more than a charlatan who has amazingly managed to fool a lot of the people for a lot of the time.

In addition to the misinformed Analysts, the MSM and Short Sellers trying to convince everyone that Telsa is a bubble stock that will pop, we have professors teaching students this lie.
Reminds me of the Woody Allen saying : those that can’t do, teach.
Those that can’t teach, teach gym.

Yeah, so this looks to me like a little bit of short covering (stairstep up at open), followed by a MMD, and there’s serious buying power to eat it up.

Looks more and more like, while this run is supported by some covering, it is heavily driven by big buyers.

Conclusion arrived at 821 pages ago. Keep up, please. :p

Well, here we go again...

upload_2019-12-26_16-16-4.png