Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Meanwhile, Diess calls the notion of 30% EV adoption by 2030 to be a "painful revolution" that must be avoided.

“There’s a misperception about the automotive industry.”

His main focus was trying to scare lawmakers into changing their minds. "A transformation at that speed and with those implications is barely manageable, because it would mean approximately a quarter of the jobs at our plants would disappear in a good ten years – a total of around 100,000 jobs.”
I could be delusional on this, but I think by 2030 more than 50% of new cars sold will be EVs. If 30% adoption is “painful”, that suggests 50% is lethal to the incumbent ICE manufacturers.

They are the walking dead.

Sad? I'm thrilled by this. How long has it been since we've had a decent buying opportunity? I'm just hoping it gets down far enough to hit my buy points...
A dropping price will increase negative news which will make retail investors nervous and start selling wich makes the latest short additions profitable within a few days. Let's hope there is some good support not far below the current level to prevent a panic.

A dropping price will increase negative news which will make retail investors nervous and start selling wich makes the latest short additions profitable within a few days. Let's hope there is some good support not far below the current level to prevent a panic.

Day traders profiting over a span of a few days is not something to be worried about.

Whatever news happens between now and the ER, short of Elon dying or a Tesla factory burning to the ground, will be forgotten after the ER.

That info is not easy to find, where did it come from?

Interactive Brokers has a huge list of all Tesla holders. Literally every single institutional holder is on there, even down to the ones holding a single share.

I'm actually not 100% sure I'm allowed to share it. I think I might pay some small monthly amount for certain data? I remember I signed something a long time ago about data and having to acknowledge I'm like a retail investor, and don't work on wall street and stuff. Don't remember if it said anything about sharing the data, but I wouldn't be surprised. I'd need to look into that to see if I'm allowed to share more of the list, but just these top 4 should be fine I hope. You can find 3 of those 4 on Yahoo Finance etc as well.

@uselesslogin @ZsoZso

Retail investors can’t move this stock with 20% of its float traded daily, believe me. We are insignificant

Sad? I'm thrilled by this. How long has it been since we've had a decent buying opportunity? I'm just hoping it gets down far enough to hit my buy points...

Yep, I am loading up again

Now the share price is higher, I am actually more confident about buying than when it was lower. When the share price was around $185, I didnt want to load up any more as there was a small but significant risk of bankruptcy.

Now that the share price is nearly three times higher that is much less likely so now happier to stick pretty much any money I have into Tesla long term. Much better than having it stuck in a bank at 1% interest!

Interactive Brokers has a huge list of all Tesla holders. Literally every single institutional holder is on there, even down to the ones holding a single share.

I'm actually not 100% sure I'm allowed to share it. I think I might pay some small monthly amount for certain data? I remember I signed something a long time ago about data and having to acknowledge I'm like a retail investor, and don't work on wall street and stuff. Don't remember if it said anything about sharing the data, but I wouldn't be surprised. I'd need to look into that to see if I'm allowed to share more of the list, but just these top 4 should be fine I hope. You can find 3 of those 4 on Yahoo Finance etc as well.

@uselesslogin @ZsoZso

It is weird though that Tencent doesn't show up on Yahoo Finance etc. Possible explanations:
  • Yahoo Finance / Nasdaq data is not 100% correct
  • Interactive Brokers data includes old data
  • Interactive Brokers data is more up-to-date and Tencent reinvested in Tesla in the last few months

@ZsoZso has been asking about it. What is the source of this?

ZsoZso, here are the original forms. There is no disclosure of a sale but I don’t know if that would be required if their amended ownership is under 5%.
Tencent Holdings Ltd. ADR (TCEHY) SEC Filings
Hmm, OK I found this.
Form 13G Requirements – Is Your Investment Adviser a 5% Beneficial Owner? - RIA Compliance Consultants
They filed the first form in March of 2017 and then an amendment in February 2018 disclosing their stake was under 5% as of December 31st, 2017. Interactive Brokers is showing 8.3M shares which is what was in the second filling. However, from the looks of it no one can actually know because as long as Tencent’s stake is below 5% they don’t have to report anymore. The only thing we know for sure is they own less than 5%.

A couple things to look for in the next two weeks:

-Short interest is rising on Tesla, expect some piling on, FUD, all the fun stuff they do. We’ve seen this plenty of times, let them blow their top

- Q4 earnings will be everything. A Wall Street profit beat, biggest quarter yet in terms of profitability, and if they release information for California I’d expect it to be higher than the -50% reported.

I believe if these two inevitable events take place that we will see an astronomical climb as “weak shorts” that just jumped in will quickly cover

If earnings is weak then just hold on, shut your eyes for a couple months and get ready to buy more. I anticipate this is unlikely though.

@uselesslogin @ZsoZso

no, you can’t post it here.

i’ve made that mistake a couple times and they have been deleted.

you can just google tsla inst holdings

incidentally, i noticed one of those on the list posted earlier may be new

i’ll look at bloomberg today and see the latest updates

Starting with buying back some $840 Jan '21 calls (upper ends of spreads) at $18,69 to start. More buybacks if it keeps going down. Will put sell points to sell them back at a higher strike at the same price if they go off.

Blah, wouldn’t have bought those shares yesterday if I could have anticipated this further dip. I’m keen to get some more LEAPs, but the prices were way too high.

That’s the wisdom to keep some cash at hand, I guess...

Another lesson learned. Many of them recently o_O

Blah, wouldn’t have bought those shares yesterday if I could have anticipated this further dip. I’m keen to get some more LEAPs, but the prices were way too high.

That’s the wisdom to keep some cash at hand, I guess...

Another lesson learned. Many of them recently o_O

You never know how deep a dip is going to get. If you adjust how strict you are with your leverage increase points, you'll regret missing out on opportunities, so it goes the other way as well.

So long as you keep a long-term perspective in mind, things will be fine :)