Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
very likely the NHTSA employee got it confused.

NHTSA Action Code DP20001
1/13/2020

nhtsa.png

Here’s the cause of the AH drop:

Late Friday, NHTSA released a redacted version of the lengthy petition that said “Tesla vehicles experience unintended acceleration at rates far exceeding other cars on the roads” & urged NHTSA “to recall all Model S, Model X & Model 3 vehicles produced from 2013-present.”

I guess they added that last bit to f with the algos and instill fear

Late Friday, NHTSA released a redacted version of the lengthy petition that said “Tesla vehicles experience unintended acceleration at rates far exceeding other cars on the roads” & urged NHTSA “to recall all Model S, Model X & Model 3 vehicles produced from 2013-present.”

Tesla should respond with “Good idea. We will be replacing all vehicles with a HW3 chip, remove the accelerator, and unleash Robotaxi...it’s time”

If so, that's what the petitioners request, and should not be surprising at all. However, in after-hours trading some traders (algobots) may have hurriedly misread that as NHSTA already having ordered a recall, which of course is not the case. After the three-day weekend, such misunderstanding may well be set aside. In any event, if indeed there is a flaw, I doubt a fix would be nearly as costly as some appear to have assumed.

Last edited:

I missed this report about unitended acceleration

anyone hear of an actual case(from a real Telsa Owner) of this happening or are the just figuring the Toyota debacle with the floor mats and the accelerator pedals could be used to get this sort of thing going

My Model S has never had unintended acceleration ... a lot of "intended acceleration" (which by the way does worry me as more dum-dums purchase Tesla's) ... too much power in the wrong hands problem... i am concerned about this ... really :(

That's what the petitioners request, and should not be surprising at all. However, in after-hours trading some traders (algobots) may have hurriedly misread that as NHSTA already having ordered a recall, which of course is not the case. After the three-day weekend, such misunderstanding may well be set aside. In any event, if indeed there is a mechanical flaw, I doubt a fix would be as nearly as costly as some appear to be assuming.
Wouldn’t the technical flaw be in the software? If this was an on going problem from 2013 then it would have surfaced earlier. A recall would be a waste of time.

Someone's butt selected those options, then selected payment, then somehow confirmed with another screen...….:rolleyes:

People today just cannot accept when they make a purchase they didn't end up liking or feel was worth it or they accidently purchased by meddling around in the app purchase menu. Just like the acceleration accusations. People can't own up to their own mistakes.

Also, quite ridiculous that the NHSTA would make something public before they even decide to investigate or not. Gee sure seems to bring up some integrity or foul play issues :rolleyes:

Wouldn’t the technical flaw be in the software? If this was an on going problem from 2013 then it would have surfaced earlier. A recall would be a waste of time.

The reality is the reported incidents are a very small percentage of Tesla cars, and Tesla probably has good data, which they have hopefully retained.

My hunch is Tesla's data is going to show "Driver Error", perhaps there are additional safety protocols that can be added to the software, and perhaps these have already been added.

Or in an extremely unlikely result the investigation may find some software or component problem which Tesla needs to fix, in that case they can fix software remotely and may be able to run remote diagnostics to determine which (if any) cars need fixing...

What is also likely is the investigation is inconclusive, the Tesla logs show "Driver Error"and the drivers dispute that, I doubt NHTSA can issue a recall without some definite evidence of a problem...

I don't expect this to go anywhere, I'm surprised it is getting so much attention...

I have a feeling Tesla will release new software that will make accidental acceleration more difficult. Maybe force creep mode on or take away the ability to make the car come to a full stop with one pedal driving . Basically if your feet is off the brake, and P is not engaged, the car will move. This will force you to have the feet on the brake, or put it in P when your feet is off the brake to have a full stop. ICE cars have been doing this for years and changing it probably screws with some people's routine.

At the end of the day, it's a nothingburger and there's nothing mechanical or software bug that is causing unintended acceleration besides user error.

Someone's butt selected those options, then selected payment, then somehow confirmed with another screen...….:rolleyes:

I disagree; I've "butt opened" all sorts of apps to weird screens (multi-click). I'm sure it was an accident. Multi-thousand-dollar payments should not be accessible without typing a password; that's just basic logic.

The reality is the reported incidents are a very small percentage of Tesla cars, and Tesla probably have good data, which they have hopefully retained.

My hunch is Tesla's data is going to show "Driver Error", perhaps there are additional safety protocols that can be added to the software, and perhaps these have already been added.

Or in an extremely unlikely result the investigation may find some software or component problem which Tesla needs to fix, in that case they can fix software remotely and may be able to run remote diagnostics to determine which (if any) cars need fixing...

What is also likely is the investigation is inconclusive, the Tesla logs show "Driver Error"and the drivers dispute that, I doubt NHTSA can issue a recall without some definite evidence of a problem...

I don;t expect this to go anywhere, I'm surprised it is getting so much attention...
Short sellers have been trying to get a recall since the beginning. They think it will end Tesla. Software updates have been the most frustrating thing to ever happen to them. While Tesla is fixing a software flaw it can say “here’s Disney plus also. Enjoy.” Now the story is disney plus and your car is better.
I’m with you though, I think this is nothing.

I have a feeling Tesla will release new software that will make accidental acceleration more difficult....

Unintended Acceleration Incidents have been going on for decades and every investigation has ended up identifying "operator error" as the cause. No matter what is done, short of ubiquitous RoboTaxi's, Joe Boatfoot and Betty Dumbtoes will continue to drive through garage walls and fitness centers while "braking".

@Runt8 provided a link to wk057's excellent post on the topic.

Last edited: