Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla didn't 'blast' the customer complaints as claimed in CNBC's title, they 'blasted' the petition. CNBC has very little regard for the truth and takes every opportunity to make Tesla look bad.

Laura Kolodny :(

I guess it's better she's reporting on this than the Model Y acceleration. I'd rather have a bigger pop from the ER.

Last edited:
I doubt this blog post will do anything. [...]
The time should have been "immediately or never". At least "immediately" would have gotten denials into the original stories...

On first glance it looks like Tesla could (and should) have published the blog on the same day as the story broke (Friday), or at most a day later. But on closer examination it becomes clear that they had a thorough look at all the cases that were presented in the petition, which made it possible for Tesla to state that most of them had already been reported, looked at and found to have been been caused by driver error.

Also, given the importance of this case the blog may have needed the okay from several people in the higher echelons and from legal, who may not all have been available during the weekend. So it's understandable it took Tesla a few days to respond.

Also, given the importance of this case the blog may have needed the okay from several people in the higher echelons and from legal, who may not all have been available during the weekend. So it's understandable it took Tesla a few days to respond.
Ah, so you have finally noted to everyone why this report became news exactly when it did. It was obvious to me. The timing meant the longest possible amount of time before Tesla could respond given the weekend and they had hoped that Tesla Legal took Martin Luther King day off. They obviously didn't. Shorts thwarted! Now they have to work hard to push down Tuesday. Maybe Sparky will cover instead. (not)

For people arguing if $510 was the official Friday closing price or the $504 price afterhours, the options can settle on Friday afterhour price. Because the holders of the option have until noon on Saturday to exercise the option, the afterhour $504 was the price options settled at. So I would say $504 was the official Friday closing price even though that was the manipulated afterhour price.

Ah, so you have finally noted to everyone why this report became news exactly when it did. It was obvious to me. The timing meant the longest possible amount of time before Tesla could respond given the weekend and they had hoped that Tesla Legal took Martin Luther King day off. They obviously didn't. Shorts thwarted! Now they have to work hard to push down Tuesday. Maybe Sparky will cover instead. (not)

Well the petition was submitted on the 13th right? So the release date of the news was beyond the short's control and it's most likely a coincidence.

So if I'm getting this right, it sounds like VW had to officially delay the ID3 til Aug 2020 and now there's an email floating around saying it's much worse and will likely be mid-2021.

If this were Tesla, how fast would this email have been on the front age of every site in the business world? I'm not seeing a peep anywhere as of Monday morning.

Customer ordering VW ID will experience delays much longer than the entire Model 3 ramp. #IDh4ll

Tesla Model Y: Insider Information, Rumors, and Speculations

'According to our source, the Tesla Model Y is ahead of schedule and will begin deliveries in March. This falls in line with previous reports of Model Y part suppliers being rushed in order to begin deliveries this quarter.

The senior Tesla employee states that the Model Y is actually already in production as we speak. According to his information, the Model 3 production lines have been split in order to accompany the Model Y. The S & X lines have also slowed down to relocate resources. The Model Y train is full steam ahead.'

'Disclaimer: Our source has been reliable in the past but take this with a grain of salt. We understand that without naming names or showing documentation, credibility is limited. If we shared everything we had we’d no longer have a source. It’s the catch-22 of media.'

I don't agree with the title though. The driver can unintentionally press the accelerator pedal.
Case in point: When I was in my teens I broke my back in a dirt bike accident and had to wear a metal leg brace on my right foot. One night my Dad let me drive his prized Dodge A100 home from the shop and when we pulled into the backyard, I went to hit the brake with my left foot and accidentally landed on the brace, pushing down on the accelerator and hitting our beautiful 1966 Dodge Monaco square on the rear bumper at about 10 to 12 MPH! God bless his heart, Dad was more concerned with how I was than the vehicles, but that incident is the definition of "sudden unintended acceleration" and probably quite similar to most of the Tesla situations.

FYI, didn't hurt the Monaco one bit, covered the damage on the A100 (which I still own BTW) with a new bumper, and I'm still thinking of suing the manufacturer of the brace because they obviously should have foreseen something like this... /s

Teslas rebuttal seems to get much more traction than I thought it would. Lots of newswires have picked up the story including the shortseller angle. Even over here in Europe. And online sites like The Verge that is consistently negative to anything Tesla gave it it's own story. Despite skipping allegedly in their headline the first time around.

Now I'm thinking they should have waited until two hours before the markets open for better impact. Almost to early now.

Tesla Model Y: Insider Information, Rumors, and Speculations

'According to our source, the Tesla Model Y is ahead of schedule and will begin deliveries in March. This falls in line with previous reports of Model Y part suppliers being rushed in order to begin deliveries this quarter.

The senior Tesla employee states that the Model Y is actually already in production as we speak. According to his information, the Model 3 production lines have been split in order to accompany the Model Y. The S & X lines have also slowed down to relocate resources. The Model Y train is full steam ahead.'

'Disclaimer: Our source has been reliable in the past but take this with a grain of salt. We understand that without naming names or showing documentation, credibility is limited. If we shared everything we had we’d no longer have a source. It’s the catch-22 of media.'

Lets hope Model Y ramp is not hindering S3X production here. Elon said there shouldn't be any hinderance but this rumor of yours make it seem like it's hindering all productions at Fremont.

Tesla cars are accelerating without warning, prompting government scrutiny
Tesla cars are accelerating without warning, prompting government scrutiny

The headline is awful as there is nothing that merits an "are" statement of fact.

Worse, the author then promotes his own click bait article on Twitter with a click bait "uh oh"
View attachment 501383

According to his LinkedIn, these schools need to re-evaulate how they are teaching journalism.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/andrew-hawkins-992644a3/
View attachment 501382

Their graduates are just creating click bait articles and making the world a more stupid place.

The worst part is if you need clicks, there are ways to do it and still be honest about it.

Are Tesla cars are accelerating without warning?
Owners questions prompt Government scrutiny.

The answer of course is no, every time no, for not just Tesla cars.

But at least it is intellectually honest.

In the end, every false click bait headline creates a buying TSLA Long buying opportunity.

Now that Tesla has denied it, and in fact refer to the complaint being filed by a short-seller, the Verge inserts 'allegedly' in the original headline.
That headline appeared before last Friday market hours... where is the SEC when you need them? Oh yeah, they're supporting short-sellers.

Well the petition was submitted on the 13th right? So the release date of the news was beyond the short's control and it's most likely a coincidence.

It would not be surprising if the short-selling petitioner or those among his cohort waited until Friday afternoon to alert the media, on the assumption that Tesla management and lawyers would be off for the weekend. This just as LEAPS options were expiring.

Such action also would have taken advantage of second-rate news-hungry weekend "journalists" who might unquestioningly accept the petition at face value before properly investigating the complainant, involved drivers, the NHTSA or Tesla officials.

The NHTSA would not have routinely issued a widespread news release that they were merely examining (not yet "Investigating") a petition about a situation that similarly involves all car brands, and virtually always is due to a driver stepping on the wrong pedal. Especially since they previously had Tesla check the logs of cars involved in similar claims that were proven groundless.

Here's a description of how a manipulator likely involved the media in this particular incident.

And here's one of those clueless victimized media outlets, ABC no less whose reporter found the claims ALARMING!

Last edited:
My guess as to why the Tesla denial took 3 days to be issued.

The petition is 70 pages in length and discusses in some detail a significant number of the ~180 reported incidents.

If I was Tesla I would pull all the relevant data together. Confirm that none of the data is inconclusive. Determine which ones we had already discussed with the NHTSA.

If I were to issue a strong denial I would want to be able to defend the denial.

Even if I already had this all put together ahead of time I would still review it once more.

In my opinion, rushing out a denial would look like I wasn't taking it serious.

Such action also would have taken advantage of second-rate news-hungry weekend "journalists" who might unquestioningly accept the petition at face value before properly investigating the complainant, involved drivers or Tesla.

This is the issue here, the media beat up and exaggerated the story, many of them knowing it was probably groundless, but thinking the clicks and views were worth expending a bit more of their rapidly diminishing credibility...

If you want informed knowledge and both sides of the story, forums like TMC do a better job than mainstream media... sad but true...

Here is a fun quote from the petition..

"While attempting to park the vehicle and apply the brakes at 5 MPH, the vehicle picked up speed. As a result of the failure, the vehicle crashed into a school building . . . The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who determined that the accelerator pedal was depressed to cause the collision. . . The approximate failure mileage was 800."