Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I got a few post deleted with regards to the Coronavirus and got a warning from the mods, but since I cannot review the deleted posts so I don't know if this is the reason my post got deleted (so mods, delete away if it is against the forumrules). But I believe this will affect the market so I am posting this.

Even though Xi came out and said that all official covering up the truth will face severe consequences. There are still high level of media censoring going on. After comparing all reported cases, video evidences and deleted weibo chats. I have concluded that this coronavirus outbreak is basically SARS on stereoids.

The quarantine and closing of the few inconsequential Chinese cities are just for show. What they need to do is actually shut down the bigger cities that have more economic impact like Beijin Macau and Hong Kong. What is probably evident on the ground (but not confirmed as this still need to be verified) is that the disease is highly contagious and super carriers exist. The virus can spread during the incubation period and are sometime not present. Yes, older people with pre-existing lung disease dies faster, but there are also reported cases of younger healthy people dying. Even if you survive, you can say goodbye to your lung as it is basically wrecked. It is not the kill rate that is scary, it is the fact that you will have to live a life with respiratory problems that is probably more scary.

The officially reported numbers are the official "counted" ones. There are many who are dying in their homes and many turned away from the hospitals because they are overwhelmed and full. People are literally dropping to the ground on the street and these are not counted. Like with any such disease, the quality of care decreases as cases overwhelm local medicare resources and death toll increases.

Then again, the other side of the spectrum is that the official Chinese stats are real and the quarantine will be effective and the death rate is only 3%.

But let's look at something else. The official stat for Chinese SARS outbreak is 10% death rate. But if you exclude all the cases for China because you suspect they hid a lot of the numbers (as their numbers count more heavily since they have more reported cases) and only count the death rate in countries outside of China who report more honest death rates. The SARS outbreak had about a 30% death rate.
Such posts should certainly not be deleted, it may be there is no greater threat to global macros right now.

this was an interesting ad. However, to note that the ad also featured very heavily the ICE line up of Porsche. Each of the vehicles, besides the humor added tractor, were presented as having basic abilities to keep up with the electric sports car.

It is normalizing the Electric part of the Porsche, true, but it is also not giving up their ICE history by having the Taycan leave the others in the dust.

"Your post in the thread Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable was deleted. Reason: Don’t react if you are too lazy to read back"

This is a message I got from the mods

Look, I read back, I tried to deduce which posts violated something. But I don't remember everything I post since I post on many thing. If you click on this link, it just goes to the first page of the thread so there's no way to check.

What will help is if you have that link go to the post that got deleted or if you actually say "the post got deleted because : <reason>" It'd help. Instead of just tell me to figure it out.

Haha, I love it! That's my home town at 1:26.
Funny thing is, from the Porsche Museum in Zuffenhausen, it's 120 km to Heidelberg, and from there, another 120 km (and lots of uphill) to the Schwarzenbach dam in the Black Forest, where the final scene plays out. Not taking into account a detour to another picturesque town in between, which I didn't identify (anyone?), the total race distance is thus at least 240 km. At the insane speeds of the race, there is no way the Taycan can make it without running out of charge. Taycan't!
Technically, none of the gasoline engine Porsches would have made it either? At least we are able to be consistent there. I don't know of any production street cars which can drive 240 km at let's say 180 km/h on average without running out of gas first.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
this was an interesting ad. However, to note that the ad also featured very heavily the ICE line up of Porsche. Each of the vehicles, besides the humor added tractor, were presented as having basic abilities to keep up with the electric sports car.

It is normalizing the Electric part of the Porsche, true, but it is also not giving up their ICE history by having the Taycan leave the others in the dust.
The Taycan Turbo S is electronically speed-limited to 162 mph, whereas the ICE Porsches famously have no speed governor. So, if we are just assuming the Taycan is running at it's highest governed speed and the ICE Porsches are not limited, then of course they can keep up.

At speeds below the Taycan's top speed, the lighter ICE Porsches would in real life be able to pass the Taycan in a road race. The Taycan is an extremely heavy car, tipping the scales at over 5,000 lbs. for the Turbo S. Sure the Taycan is a Porsche, but if you think a 911, Cayman/Boxster, or even a Panamera can't out-corner and outrun the Taycan in a road race then I'm not sure what to say. Weight is weight, and the Taycan basically only outraces it's ICE siblings in a straight line, and only up to 162 mph, after that the ICE Porsches will overtake and pass the Taycan in a straight line too.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DasBoot and kbM3
The Taycan Turbo S is electronically speed-limited to 162 mph, whereas the ICE Porsches famously have no speed governor. So, if we are just assuming the Taycan is running at it's highest governed speed and the ICE Porsches are not limited, then of course they can keep up.

That's silly. Nowhere were they depicted going anywhere near 160 mph!

At speeds below the Taycan's top speed, the lighter ICE Porsches would in real life be able to pass the Taycan in a road race. The Taycan is an extremely heavy car, tipping the scales at over 5,000 lbs. for the Turbo S. Sure the Taycan is a Porsche, but if you think a 911, Cayman/Boxster, or even a Panamera can't out-corner and outrun the Taycan in a road race then I'm not sure what to say. Weight is weight, and the Taycan basically only outraces it's ICE siblings in a straight line, and only up to 162 mph, after that the ICE Porsches will overtake and pass the Taycan in a straight line too.

Yes, but this was an ad for the Taycan. They should have focused more on the abilities the Taycan has over the others, which is from a stop to top speed.

The Taycan also had quite a lead on the others, since it left before they even were in their respective cars.

Not saying true facts should always come into play for commercials (ie, charging and range limit of 201 miles) but the commercial was for the electric car—but they neutered the key features of it in their own commercial.

They did, admittedly, nicely showcase the quiet creep of the electric vehicle sneaking out. But then then immediately followed with the typical, and often lofted, high rev of their ICE line to chase it.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Nafnlaus on Twitter

EPHI6L1XUAAYWxQ

Not saying true facts should always come into play for commercials (ie, charging and range limit of 201 miles) but the commercial was for the electric car—but they neutered the key features of it in their own commercial.

They did, admittedly, nicely showcase the quiet creep of the electric vehicle sneaking out. But then then immediately followed with the typical, and often lofted, high rev of their ICE line to chase it.

Yeah, Porsche has to walk the fine line of selling EVs while not selling EVs (i.e. selling gascars).

The everyday convenience and cost advantages of good EVs are overwhelming, so Porsche, pretty much by definition, has to undersell EVs in their commercials.

Last edited:
Hmm, "New York" is usually associated more with the city than the state. I'd go with Giga Buffalo.

So, calling the Sparks factory "Giga Nevada" should mean we call the Grünheide factory "Giga Brandenburg". BTW, it's 38.1 km from GF1/Sparks to Reno, and its 38.8 km from GF4/Grünheide to Berlin. Jus' sayin'...

Any one remember when the term "FSD Computer" officially replaced "HW3"? Lol, how'd that work out?

"Going forward “HW3” will just be called FSD Computer, which is accurate."

Elon Musk, Mar 29, 2019

Accurate, but not adopted into popular lexicon. Kinda like why the "F117 Nighthawk" is a "Stealth Fighter". :p

Cheers!

I wouldn't let him bag my groceries! He looks like a serial clown killer (that's a clown that's a serial killer, not a serial killer that targets clowns).

You would think they could find someone more credible to say bad things about Tesla but most people in the industry want to maintain enough credibility to stay in the industry. Because bagging groceries doesn't pay very well.

Beep beep!

upload_2020-1-25_9-15-11.png

BTW, it's 38.1 km from GF1/Sparks to Reno, and its 38.8 km from GF4/Grünheide to Berlin. Jus' sayin'...

That's a bit misleading: the city border of Berlin is not far away, on the other side of the highway, beyond the small town of "Erkner", a couple of km away. Erkner is well connected to the Berlin public transportation system. Line of sight distance to the closest border section of Berlin is maybe 5 km.

It's undeveloped forests, suburbs and outskirts, but part of Berlin - it's a big city, and a substantial percentage of Berlin's population is within convenient commuting distance to GF4.

Edit: better numbers

Last edited:
One of the issues the other auto companies have is underfunded pension liabilities.
Does anybody know what type of pension scheme Tesla runs?
Is it the type where they make one of payments or the type where the employer has a continuous liability depending on the actuarial calculations?
(I know this is not an issue now given how young Tesla is, but this could be a problem in the long run)