Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lol, there's gonna be tooth'n'nail drag'ur'mama'inna'streets resistance at $555, and for the next 6 months. :p

Above all else, Shortz are now driven by their emotions and need to strike out. To bad this is the top-of-the-Eighth, and Elon is pitching a no-hitter... :D

Cheers!
See what you've done Lodger! Ye shall burn in hell (at least until Wednesday afterhours)!

Definitely /s

I was thinking about the recent uproar with the discovery of the tape of Trump and his advisers/friends/cronies/whatever discussing Tesla. Supposedly, this tape was made in April '18 - right slap dab in the middle of the Model 3 ramp.

While I think these guys were (and still are) clueless about Tesla, when you REALLY look at it, there actually was some potential truth to what they were saying. If you don't think that's true, then you also don't believe Elon Musk - because Elon himself said that the company was within single digit weeks of bankruptcy in early 2018 trying to ramp the Model 3.

Which brings me to my real thought on this - that conversation would have been on the heels of this horrific period for Musk and Tesla. Is it possible that they were being somehow given inside information? It seems l also remember there being a big hoopla about leaks from the factory during this time. I HAVE to wonder if these people were getting fed information - and more importantly, did any of them profit from it (ie, go short the stock)?

Tesla was within weeks of dying because of Model 3 delays, says Elon Musk - Electrek

Last edited:
While I think these guys were (and still are) clueless about Tesla, when you REALLY look at it, there actually was some potential truth to what they were saying.

There is almost always a kernel of truth at the heart of every falsehood. So I'm sticking with the first part of your statement - those guys (and don't forget the gals) were (and still are) clueless about Tesla (and by extension electric transportation and energy).:)

OT (well kinda)

As is my recent habit, I was watching Person of Interest last night after I had gone to bed. In the next to last episode of the series, Finch was driven to the San Jose Airport in a first generation (faux grille) black and beautiful Model S! While this episode originally aired in June 2016, it was the first time I'd seen a Tesla in a popular TV series. I knew I loved that show for a reason other than it's excellent premise, intelligent writing, and superb acting.

In case anyone hasn't seen it, the series has just started again on WGN late night weekends. The whole series is also available on Netflix w/o commercials. Might be my favorite series ever and that includes Breaking Bad and ST:TNG.

Last edited:
If you don't think that's true, then you also don't believe Elon Musk - because Elon himself said that the company was within single digit weeks of bankruptcy in early 2018 trying to ramp the Model 3.
I never believed Elon and always knew he was being over dramatic. Tesla had access to capital if needed and would not have gone bankrupt.

Here's a look-see at Google Trends for the worldwide searches for the coronavirus v. flu/cold/pneumonia. Link

Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 12.53.31 PM.png

The searches just don't add up for this being a widespread, global pandemic. There should be a/an correlative/association back to other illnesses that mimic the symptoms as the coronavirus if this was getting bad, but it hasn't been that way over the past 7 days.

Attention all journalists: "Where are they now?"

Has anyone done a 10 year review story of the United States of America Advanced Technology Vehicle Manufacturing loan program?

How Tesla is the only company that has paid back the American government(tax payer) early and with interest? Not Ford, GM, Chrysler, Nissan, etc...? Who is essentially the most on the 'government cheese" who owes the most to American tax payers still?

Of those companies that took the American government loan, how many have produced electric vehicles beyond the federal tax credit limit? Who has produced and sold as many electric vehicles as Tesla since taking the loan?

Over the past 10 years, who has the highest growth rate of hiring American tax paying employees?

Over the past 10 years, who has the highest growth rate of vehicles sold over those 10 years? Highest revenue growth? Highest growth for carbon emissions off set? Highest growth of air pollution/smog reduction of total cars produced over the past 10 years? Cleaner air per tax dollar invested in these car companies?

Lastly, since the start of 2010, who's investors have seen the greatest return on investment in each company's stock? What has the market (of the tax paying public) said about these companies since then?

Bonus: Which company's vehicles are more American made? To note, I was in a mall in middle America where I noticed a sign on a raffle prize *Ford* in the entrance way that stated the vehicle had its engine from Spain and about 40% of its parts from Mexico and other assorted countries. How does that stack up to the "All American" made Teslas? Who is getting more "American made" products per tax dollar spent?

Last edited:
Push to Green at the close??
Lol, no but the Shortzes did manage to knock a buck off the SP in the last 15 sec b4 16:00 hrs. Luckily, NASDAQ Official Closing Price is calculated somewhat differently, but Google has the Close at 558.02 (they're usually right). NASDAQ should update the Close by 16:30 hrs or so... EDIT: Yes, 558.02

And I see Shortzes are up to dey trix in the After-hrs already: "When you're in the hole, STOP DIGGING!" Lol.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I never believed Elon and always knew he was being over dramatic. Tesla had access to capital if needed and would not have gone bankrupt.

Everytime someone drags up 'but Elon said they were close to bankruptcy' I want to know in what scenario someone with Elons trackrecord couldn't have dug up a couple of billions when it was basically a question of ramping up M3 production in time.

At worst Elon could have used his SpaceX stocks to get that money. I know he wouldn't want to but he could have.

Would any of those solutions have been good for the rest of us stockowners? No, obviously not, but Tesla as a company certainly wouldn't have ended in bankruptcy.

A couple of quick thoughts on macros / coronavirus. I am seeing some good news today: mainly, mild severity / lack of local transmission in countries where the virus has been imported; reports of a drop in persons within Wuhan presenting with fever at hospitals; estimations of lower reproduction numbers (~1.5-2.5) than previously estimated, and signs of symptoms presenting earlier than previously estimated (~5 days, as opposed to up to 14).

If (big if) the trend of good news holds through Thursday, the collective sigh of relief could be rocket fuel to a good earnings call for TSLA.

Adding one more piece of "good" news to the pile - the CDC is contradicting (for now) assertions from Chinese authorities that the novel coronavirus is contagious prior to exhibition of symptoms. While not an outright refutation, at least the CDC didn't issue a confirmation. Seems like the next several weeks will be instrumental in determining how this situation is most likely to play out. Fingers crossed for all involved that the toll is kept to a minimum.

CDC official: No clear evidence Wuhan coronavirus can spread before people show symptoms

There is not yet “any clear evidence” that people can transmit the Wuhan coronavirus before they begin exhibiting symptoms, Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the US Center for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, told reporters on Monday.

But, she said, it’s a possibility health officials are investigating.

Messonnier’s comment comes after China's health minister Ma Xiaowei said people can spread the virus before they become symptomatic, but offered no explanation as to why he believes that to be the case.