Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you elaborate as to his exact quote on Tesla (link is paywalled)? I googled around but could not find any other mention of it and he has not updated his blog.

Damodaran has a very big following amongst value investors (and he has been both short and long on Tesla at various times based purely on his financial model). If he is long Tesla at this point it would be amazing.

He bought his first TSLA share at $180 back in June: Musings on Markets: Tesla's Travails: Curfew for a Corporate Teenager?

Considering his focus on valuation, I'm sure he has sold it by now. Say what you want about him, but he's disciplined and honest about it. When his opinion turned on Tesla, that was the point when the bears should've taken a hint.

Expect to see his next follow-up in 4 months.

Indeed, he appears to be a Luddite. Politicians often are. Nevertheless, I suspect that even this sort of publicity for Tesla is net beneficial. :cool:

As a guy who made his millions in tech, I'm not sure "Luddite" is the right term. He's very smart, and he "gets it", so my guess is he's trying to resonate with most Americans (Luddites;)). The sad fact of American politics is you either have to be a Luddite or fake it a little in order to get enough votes to win. :(

He bought his first TSLA share at $180 back in June: Musings on Markets: Tesla's Travails: Curfew for a Corporate Teenager?

Considering his focus on valuation, I'm sure he has sold it by now. Say what you want about him, but he's disciplined and honest about it. When his opinion turned on Tesla, that was the point when the bears should've taken a hint.

Expect to see his next follow-up in 4 months.

In an article I found he actually said he still held it (which I was very surprised about) "I own Tesla now, bought it six months ago"

About time India’s family businesses model themselves on Amazon: Damodaran"

This was published on Jan 15th (but interview could have happened earlier)

Indeed, he appears to be a Luddite. Politicians often are. Nevertheless, I suspect that even this sort of publicity for Tesla is net beneficial. :cool:
Not exactly. Yang's thing is a universal income; basically a paycheck for not working to offset the unstoppable march of automation of certain jobs. He isn't so much advocating for stopping technological advance as trying to create a response to job loss due to it. No judgment intended here, just noting the luddite label doesn't fit.

You really need to look at his positions. He DOES understand technology and automation and is not against it. He does want to both encourage it and tax it to pay for universal income. He is very much for Tesla.

The original Luddites were skilled British weavers who in the early 1800s unlawfully destroyed machines and burned mills, because they feared for their jobs. Some of them even murdered mill owners.

I don't think we can call a billionaire who is warning about the job loss caused by automation, has policy responses to address it, and most emphatically doesn't want to destroy machines, a Luddite.

By that standard Elon would be a Luddite too. :D

Everytime someone drags up 'but Elon said they were close to bankruptcy' I want to know in what scenario someone with Elons trackrecord couldn't have dug up a couple of billions when it was basically a question of ramping up M3 production in time.

At worst Elon could have used his SpaceX stocks to get that money. I know he wouldn't want to but he could have.

Would any of those solutions have been good for the rest of us stockowners? No, obviously not, but Tesla as a company certainly wouldn't have ended in bankruptcy.
I completely agree that Tesla was in no danger of going belly up but I think the point he was making was, as someone mentioned, an overdramatization of the dire financial health and overall vulnerability the company was in at that point in time.
If it were most other automotive companies that are not as leveraged, and with such bullish deep pocketed supporters, they most likely could have called it quits.
If those same conditions and outlook were currently the narrative at GM or Ford, do you think Wall Street would be supportive? I seriously doubt it as they've squandered the AVTM monies as Foghat spelled out to what end? I imagine a public outcry if the government tried to pull the big three out of financial ruin again. Fool me once, shame on …….how's that go again. Whatever.

But we can muse about what might have been and I suppose the what if GM or Ford scenario mentioned above may come to pass sooner rather than later the way things are going.

Not exactly. Yang's thing is a universal income; basically a paycheck for not working to offset the unstoppable march of automation of certain jobs. He isn't so much advocating for stopping technological advance as trying to create a response to job loss due to it. No judgment intended here, just noting the luddite label doesn't fit.

He is not stopping it, he is taxing it. Teslas will be 10% more expensive under Yang's policy. However, I see people spending that 1k/month of extra cash on a Tesla..lol.

Anyways, his policy wouldn't pass until our deficit is under control, which means rolling back Trump's tax cuts at the very least.

upload_2020-1-27_16-2-33.png