Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow #2, did you guys notice the following detail in the Model Y production line photos in the Q4 update letter:

View attachment 505748
That looks like a cast underbody to me ...

Patented high pressure metal casting/molding machine which lowers CoGs significantly already in action??

I think Elon had them include that picture specifically to freak out other automakers in their board rooms tomorrow. ;)

(Once the Y line scales, expect the 3's body line to go down for at least one week - hopefully not an abnormally long time - to adapt it to include the new manufacturing and hardware systems used in the Y)

Wow #2, did you guys notice the following detail in the Model Y production line photos in the Q4 update letter:
That looks like a cast underbody to me ...

Patented high pressure metal casting/molding machine which lowers CoGs significantly already in action??

Good catch. I don't know how to quantify this (any manufacturing engineers out there?), but presumably this will help margins. I hope someone asks about this on the call which about to start.

Well, this marks 300 dollars since I sold all 59 of my Jan21s calls and started a short straddle. I don't even know what to say or do or think at this point. Not only did I leave over 1 million dollars on the table because I ended up being weak long after all, but I actually lost a ton of money trying to short straddle it. Worst part of this is that I love this company and I want to hop back in and go long again, but I don't know if the parabolic movement will hold.

We need a "hug" emoticon.

Good catch. I don't know how to quantify this (any manufacturing engineers out there?), but presumably this will help margins. I hope someone asks about this on the call which about to start.

I think about ~100 parts that previously had to be stamped and welded/screwed together at great expense, are now replaced by ~4 cast parts, which are also lower weight.

This also reduces new production capacity capital expenditures: welding robots are one of the most expensive parts of a car factory.

~~From the Office of Lord Vetinari

YES. Someone who wishes to update this thread with the salient points being revealed on the verbal report, PLEASE DO.

HOWEVER: Let there be just ONE such set of inputs. That increase the S/N to an appropriate number. All others: please sit on your hands (see below).

To be applied right now. It is
@Cosmacelf who gets the nod. Thank you.

~~~Vetinari

Clarification: Posts other than a summary of the talk are fine!

Last edited:
Well, this marks 300 dollars since I sold all 59 of my Jan21s calls and started a short straddle. I don't even know what to say or do or think at this point. Not only did I leave over 1 million dollars on the table because I ended up being weak long after all, but I actually lost a ton of money trying to short straddle it. Worst part of this is that I love this company and I want to hop back in and go long again, but I don't know if the parabolic movement will hold.

The way millionaires are minted is by staying long and strong.

Do not sell even when it seems crazy over-valued. Unless you think the growth is over. Never try to time a gorilla!