Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another detail from the update letter:

"While we saw an increase in operating expenses in Q4 (driven mostly by $72M of non-cash SBC expense related to one more 2018 CEO award operational milestone becoming probable), higher gross profit resulted in a 72bp sequential improvement of GAAP operating margin to 4.9% in Q4."​

Put differently, Tesla and their PwC auditors now consider it probable that Tesla's market cap will stay above $100b for the next ~6 months, I.e. above around $554. :D
"Operational milestone", not market cap. I assume this means the 3.0b annualized adjusted EBITDA.

Listening to call now - "feature complete" now means an above zero chance of getting you from home to work without intervention. :)

From "not an advice" to giving advice. Did I wake up in an alternative universe?

my 2 cents as someone who has been through a LOT in the last 22 years-
as soon as you realize that you are on the wrong side of a trade the only thing left to do is liquidate your losing position and go long
i would personally in this situation NOT chase any call options, which are extremely richly priced currently, but instead go long with common stock and stop trying to time the market and instead keep shares long for at least another 10 years which will likely net you anywhere from 10X to 20 X ROI

Q: Shanghai, any opex reduction?

A: Shanghai has been very cost efficient. Labor, materials, capex, localizing supply chain, outbound shipping, all this plus more results in lower costs. So, significant cost reduction of Model 3 in Shanghai versus Fremont.

Opex will continue to improve, as well as working capital because of all this.

Q: why not raise money?

A; We are spending money as fast as it makes sense as it is. So no need to raise money. We are not limited by cash. We learned during Model 3 launch in that we tried to grow too quickly, wasted money, had wasteful processes. We are now smarter. We are launching 2 vehicles now (Model Y and Model Y shanghai I presume).

Q: Model S/X flat sales. When will they go to 21700 batteries.

A: Core chemistry of 18650 cells has been changing over time, so its just a form factor, not a big deal. Rapidly approaching a 400 mile range for Model X (I think he said X). Cell supply is an issue, so no need to monkey with that.

Range for current S and X are actually above what web site EPA range says.

Oh F: first analyst is Adam Jonas from Morgan Stanley. Asks question about cars and Starlink.

A: Could happen in future years, no plans this year. Starlink is meant for homes and businesses, boats. Could theoretically stick one on a car.

Jonas keeps asking about sticking a starlink on a car.

Elon: we'll just use 4G/5G. No real need for gigabit. So I guess it could be OK. But we really aren't thinking about it.