Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spotted on Twitter:

D180331A-02EE-4D5B-8656-7B4A058FC26A.jpeg

P.S. Anybody else planning on participating in a Starlink IPO?

Yes! Good prospects as an investment.
I fully expect the same level of volatility as TSLA from the start.

I will not be selling any of TSLA to get into Starlink.
Somewhere down the line, I hope there is a "Musk Enterprises Mutual Fund" ;)

PS: Taking any future posts on this to the Starlink IPO thread...

Starlink IPO

Last edited by a moderator:
Another reason why we can expect Tesla to continue to use the available supply of 18650 cells from Panasonic is to deny this supply to the competition, which seems to be under supplied with battery cells.

I expect Panasonic may increase the supply of 2170 cells form GF Nevada for Model 3, Model Y, energy storage and perhaps the semi....

18650 cells may continue to be used for Model S/X or those lines may eventually be re-purposed to make 2170 cells for Tesla energy....

Elon describes Panasonic as a good partner, and I think Panasonic is mostly making pouch cells for other car makers..

I’m suspecting Tesla may also do Solarglass production out of GigaBerlin. Notable amount of the GigaBuffalo equipment imported from Germany.

Also, Germany is very aggressive in transitioning grid to renewables.

Solar+storage growth ripe for big scaling here and across Europe and possibly Mid East out of GigaBerlin.
Its time for tesla to make more GF beyond just Berlin, really should push for GF with solar and battery production lines on other continents as well.

On the Maxwell science video, the biggest new news for me was faster charging...

Apart from any cost savings the functional benefits are:-
  • Faster charging
  • Higher peak output
  • Higher energy density...(more range)
  • less cooling required.
If I had to guess the cost savings it is perhaps 20-25% at pack level with the entire suite of pack improvements IMO Tesla is perhaps already 5-10% ahead of the competition at pack level....

The combination of costs savings and functional benefits is are advantages over the competition, but there is one additional likely advantage faster spin up of new production capacity.

My hunch would be something like 50% faster, 30% less space, 20% cheaper, of these 50% faster is the important metric...

I'm 99.9% confident Plaid Model S/X and the Roadster will have the new Maxwell pack...

I'm 80% confident all variants of Cybertruck will have the new Maxwell pack

Beyond that, 50% faster and 20% cheaper isn't instantaneous and zero cost, it will take time for all of automotive to migrate to Maxwell packs..

Think about the functional advantages above in the new Plaid Model S/X....

I’m suspecting Tesla may also do Solarglass production out of GigaBerlin. Notable amount of the GigaBuffalo equipment imported from Germany.

Also, Germany is very aggressive in transitioning grid to renewables.

Solar+storage growth ripe for big scaling here and across Europe and possibly Mid East out of GigaBerlin.

Since 2017 every second installation was together with a house battery so yes indeed the demand is really high here in Germany and we need a more decentralized grid too to consume all the renewable energy that right now is often even sold abroad as the high voltage lines are stuck for many years to come.

Battery storage systems at ‘the edge of profitability,’ as German households reach 1GWh of capacity

GF4 is a blue print copy of GF3 and Tesla will copy and paste them to other countries (Texas?) but solar is a separate business. I don't expect that they merge production and I don't think it would be a smart thing either as I do not see any meaningful reason for it.

Would a solar tile production in Europe make sense? Absolutely. I believe its just a question of time until a production facility will be built but US and Canada will come first and then they roll it out. Actually I would like to have one and can't wait until Tesla does offer here.

Having solar, a house battery and a Tesla is in my opinion the best of all worlds.

Its time for tesla to make more GF beyond just Berlin, really should push for GF with solar and battery production lines on other continents as well.
Absolutely. Will be cell starved for a very long time without more capacity.

Germany has a massive amount of solar, the next step is massive deployment of energy storage.

The strategic objective should be to meet both energy storage and vehicle cell requirements without starving either and that can only happen with more capacity.

Either more cells or more efficient tech... or both.

Regardless, massive opportunities are converging and the market is more than ripe.

Cells, cells, cells.

Since 2017 every second installation was together with a house battery so yes indeed the demand is really high here in Germany and we need a more decentralized grid too to consume all the renewable energy that right now is often even sold abroad as the high voltage lines are stuck for many years to come.

Battery storage systems at ‘the edge of profitability,’ as German households reach 1GWh of capacity

GF4 is a blue print copy of GF3 and Tesla will copy and paste them to other countries (Texas?) but solar is a separate business. I don't expect that they merge production and I don't think it would be a smart thing either as I do not see any meaningful reason for it.

Would a solar tile production in Europe make sense? Absolutely. I believe its just a question of time until a production facility will be built but US and Canada will come first and then they roll it out. Actually I would like to have one and can't wait until Tesla does offer it.

Having solar, a house battery and a Tesla is in my opinion the best of all worlds.

As Germany is at the forefront here, the greater the network of decentralized solar+storage, the greater the market value of demand respond, aggregation services, and peer to peer trading.

The software to run this new decentralized virtual power plant network system is the next big area Tesla is primed to monitize.

Robotaxi is software optimization, so is TeslaPower with regards to these connected energy networks.

Germany has massive capacity, just now have to get that scaling of energy storage to really open big doors on self sustaining energy independence.

When my broker called and wanted to borrow my shares I said " Give me a letter saying I can get on the IPO for Starlink for up to 1000 shares and you can borrow my shares".
He said "What's Starlink ?".

I hung up.
Why would a Retail Investor have or need a personal Broker when TD Waterhouse and the like offer electronic buy/sell transactions you can complete yourself your $9/trade?

• Helpful
Reactions: CanadaEV
A friend of mine in Dallas Texas went for a test drive of model 3 yesterday. They are really interested in an SUV but their current SUV ( Highlander) is on its last legs, so need a car by 3Q. The estimate for Model Y they got was July 2020 delivery, if they place order now!!!

How’s that possible? I know Model Y is ahead of schedule, but didn’t realize they were this far ahead. This is sort of worrisome to me as I ordered May 2019, but don’t really want the delivery till about end of the year. The Clarity lease is till Feb 2021, and we currently have 3 cars. Getting the Y so early would be 4 cars for 2 of us.

The sales guy in Dallas (not sure if that’s the right term to use for Tesla design center guys) did mention that it is likely some folks in the current list would delay their delivery dates, so my friend would get the car early.

Just very surprised. Good for out Stock price if true.
Maybe you could adjust your order for the 7-seat variation for a while.

• Helpful
Reactions: AZRI11
Latest news from the German financial newspaper "Handelsblatt":

Daimler is increasing their cost savings by letting go 15,000 employees (compared to 10,000 disclosed), decreasing innovation expenses and reducing model classes.

Translated article:
Google Translate

Interesting article:

In the group's finance department, a bitter power struggle is raging, according to company circles. The lack of battery cells in sufficient quality means that the electric offensive is becoming a “farce” and the diesel scandal is never ending.​