Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently I read an article about someone buying a used Tesla and having the autopilot disabled a couple of months after he bought it, due to the fact that he did not buy the Car himself. What is the autopilot software tied to? The car or the person that bought the car? Right now it just seems like it’s not tied to anything. Looks like it has to be bought every time there is a new owner.

AP/FSD is tied to the car. That car was returned to Tesla. Tesla strips vehicles of options before they resell them. A used-dealer purchased the stripped car from Tesla at an auction, and then sold it to a buyer, telling them that it came with FSD even though FSD had already disappeared before delivery - which the dealer tried to convince them was a "glitch" and pointed to the Monroney sticker (which only describes how the car was when the first buyer received it) to insist that it had FSD.

LG Chem is not delivering customers with enough batteries.

We know this to be the production problem at Daimler, Audi, VW, Jaguar and Porsche.

For many years it drove me nuts how short sighted this large automakers are and now all of it comes true. Billions are lost because they did not believe it. Its incredible

Jaguar halts electric SUV over battery shortages | Business | The Sunday Times

Autokonzern: SUV-Probleme mittlerweile gelöst

Or could be that LG chem is giving Tesla priority. Remember that Tesla was bottom tier when trying to get parts from OEMs which forced them to vertically integrate or die(according to Elon on third row podcast). Now in the EV world, Tesla is top dog.

If you look at the numbers, is it a coincidence that all these manufacturers are suddenly announcing battery shortage without any major signs of these EVs selling more (and in some circumstances, decreasing in sales especially in the US) Right after Tesla signed with LG to provide cells for Giga Shanghai?

I imagine a lot of brokers have been calling retail stock owners. I told mine when he called his firm should not have shorted the stock forcing him to call around and beg for share. My price target is when there are zero shorts left.

When my broker called and wanted to borrow my shares I said " Give me a letter saying I can get on the IPO for Starlink for up to 1000 shares and you can borrow my shares".
He said "What's Starlink ?".

I hung up.

Tesla vehicles sell themselves... they are the winning combination of technology, efficiency, convenient fast charging, future proofing, and ultimate safety...

P.S. Anybody else planning on participating in a Starlink IPO?

You could add - Tesla turned the dial up to 11 on fun with ludicrous mode, streaming Netflix, classic video games, fart mode, dog mode, camping mode, etc.

I do plan to put my 40% of investments that are not in $TSLA into the Starlink IPO. :)

Vs. ABRP's auto-collected real-world data from a wide mix of vehicles and owners:
Tesla_3_LR-Tesla_P3D-Tesla_S100D_range_imperial.png.cffda5dec533198d44fcf2d30aee83e7.png

180-190 miles range at an average of 80mph makes no sense. These aren't cars being driven in "controlled conditions"; these were just random people who had ABRP active when driving down the highway.

I have to admit, I find it really weird how auto magazines manage to extract abnormally poor performance from Teslas when comparing them. :Þ

They probably drove at very fast speeds (100mph +) for a big part of time, then much slower the rest to average out at 80 mph. Of course the nonlinear penalty of drag does not average out, so losses will be higher compared to a constant 80 mph

There may be some strange things coming to deal with the legacy supply issue. I could imagine new base versions of S & X continuing to use 18650s from the existing Panasonic lines (while offering the current range), while new pricier LR and Plaid versions get entirely new pack designs with new cells, whatever the cell format turns out to be. The margins would be enormously better on the LR and Plaid versions in that case. But Tesla energy is also a good bet to absorb the legacy capacity as long as it makes financial sense. Tesla under Musk seems to be less susceptible to the sunk-cost fallacy than any other company, so this may not be an issue for long.

Another reason why we can expect Tesla to continue to use the available supply of 18650 cells from Panasonic is to deny this supply to the competition, which seems to be under supplied with battery cells.