Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
70k Puts with a premium of $1 gets you $7M (7M shares covered by those 70k put options). Of course, you have to be ready to spend $700M if you get exercised (7M shares * $100/share) - I for one wouldn't mind acquiring 7M shares at that price, but my bankroll is a little light.

If TSLA ever went to $100, there would probably be a very good reason for that and I don't think I would want to own it at any price. So there is no way I would sell $100 TSLA puts. On the other hand, some $650's might be nice if they were exercised.

Reactions: saniflash
Lol @ front page of the CNBC app....Elon Musk has coronavirus!

Screenshot_20200213-184213.jpg

70k Puts with a premium of $1 gets you $7M (7M shares covered by those 70k put options). Of course, you have to be ready to spend $700M if you get exercised (7M shares * $100/share) - I for one wouldn't mind acquiring 7M shares at that price, but my bankroll is a little light.

Ok.. I figured a 'put' is for one share.. and that only the word contract refers to the 100..

Anyways, if you have 700M laying around, I suppose a 7M premium is peanuts.. What's a little yacht more or less? o_O

Lol @ front page of the CNBC app....Elon Musk has coronavirus!

View attachment 510933

How could a supposed financial news journalist not know that the Risk Factors section of virtually every public corporation's annual 10-K filing makes it appear that they are on the edge of doom? Unless of course the reporter's goal is to spread FUD. :rolleyes:

I have enough shares to retire if the SP gets to $7k one day, but I wouldn’t mind having more shares, so I sell puts. Worst case scenario: you don’t get the shares, but you pocket a nice premium. Best case scenario: you get shares at a discount from today’s price, and you also get to pocket a nice premium.
I have never done anything more complicated than just buying and selling call options. I am not sure my account even allows me to sell put options- it is an IRA account not approved for margins. If TSLA goes to $7000, I would be happily retired as well.
Oh well, can’t complain. The IRA is currently 3.5x of its value from end of September 2019. Still annoyed at myself for not placing buy order yesterday for the stock - I have a target goal for number of shares in this account by EOY.

I have never done anything more complicated than just buying and selling call options. I am not sure my account even allows me to sell put options- it is an IRA account not approved for margins. If TSLA goes to $7000, I would be happily retired as well.
Oh well, can’t complain. The IRA is currently 3.5x of its value from end of September 2019. Still annoyed at myself for not placing buy order yesterday for the stock - I have a target goal for number of shares in this account by EOY.
Fortunately for you, one is not able to sell puts in an IRA account. There will be many on this board, unaware of the drastic ramifications of selling puts at the wrong time, that will be paying for the rest of their lives for failed put sales. Not pretty. JMO.

Fortunately for you, one is not able to sell puts in an IRA account. There will be many on this board, unaware of the drastic ramifications of selling puts at the wrong time, that will be paying for the rest of their lives for failed put sales. Not pretty. JMO.

I sell puts in my IRA all the time. You just need to have enough cash in the account in case of getting exercised.

I was also able to sell covered calls in IRA without issues.

I am not very experienced in options trading, however, I have sold puts in my IRA accounts several times. I have only done it for stocks that I actually would otherwise have purchased outright and for quantities that I was willing to purchase. More often than not, these options expired worthless.

Reactions: saniflash and ABCTG
Apart from the Hyperchange video I haven't really seen it discussed but isn't the change of planned CapEx spending in the 10-K from Q3 compared to Q4 a sure indication that they actually do have plans to invest in something?

Q3 estimate that capital expenditures will be between $2.0 to $2.5 billion annually for the next two fiscal years.
Q4 average annual capital expenditures in 2020 and the two succeeding fiscal years to be $2.5 billion to $3.5 billion.

That's a change of the average from $2.25 billion a year to $3 billion a year. Potentially from $2 billion to $3.5 billion. That's up to $1.5 billion more per year for the next couple of years. Consider that they only spent about $1.5 billion in 2019 that's 50-100% more.

Since the cost of China and Germany should have been clear already when Q3 was released they must be planning something they didn't know they would do for sure 3 months ago.

So yeah, either a new GF earlier than planned or they made the decision to build something huge for battery production.

Can't really see much else they could be spending that kind of money on.

By the way. That 10-K is something like 250 pages. At least the first 130 or so seems to be info that one might find useful as an investor. If I wasn't self-employed I think I would have to quit my job to keep up.