Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this $2.01B in common stock offering, who gets first (or all?) dibs exactly? How does it work, or does that vary on a deal by deal basis of each offering?

The underwriters have a small army of brokers who today called all their biggest and best clients and asked them to buy these new shares at a slight discount to the current price. See below for the list of underwriters:

Goldman Sachs & Co. LLC and Morgan Stanley are acting as lead joint book-running managers for the offering, with Barclays, BofA Securities, Citigroup, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank Securities, and Wells Fargo Securities acting as additional book-running managers, and Societe Generale acting as co-manager.

Also, is it a good thing that the SP the day of the offering went above the offer SP (are these extra shares available only today, and then the options they announced for 30 days?)?

Presumably. As to what the exact price clients of the above brokers got, someone more knowledgeable than me will have to answer that. Presumably that'll be disclosed in another filing at some point.

To be clear about Elon, I don’t believe he has a classic stutter. It’s just that he’s constantly interrupting himself and thinking five sentences ahead of what he’s uttering. Maybe Elon is just like other guys where our brains shut off when talking to a beautiful woman, which allows Elon to then talk normally :)
Exactly! Normally people gets fluent by rehearsing a number, however great, of sentences and they use it over and over again. Elon has so many things in his head that he doesn't have a set of *talks*; everything he says is new, relatively speaking. He's so nerdy that it's freaking satisfying for us to *get* him while others can't.

Not sure the recall should be claimed as the day before the cap raise. I received my recall email letter from Tesla back on Feb 6th, and although I like to think Tesla considers me really special, in reality that's probably not the case, so I assume that 15,000 other people got it at the same time. So 8 days before the cap raise. Not a secret if 15,000 people are in on it.

I (I thought innocently) mentioned on the Icelandic Tesla FB group that I thought it was weird that news that came out a week ago was suddenly all over the place as if it were new. Nothing more than that, just that it was weird. I was called a conspiracy theorist and told not to be so sensitive on Tesla's behalf. *Sigh*... :(

someone once said Elon doesn’t stutter around beautiful women. Fascinating trait haha

That scene of course had nothing to do with stuttering or flirting. That was Elon turning a question into a zing at a competitor's expense ;) I don't remember exactly what the zing was, but I remember that it was a pretty clever way to invert the question.

people nervous about a repeat of last Tuesday here

Bring it on. :) I love these ups and downs!

Depends what you sold and when. I've one $805, sold yesterday morning peak for $1500. At that moment the SP was clearly under the thrall of the MM's for the week; the cap raise turned the tables, but I still expect it to expire tomorrow because the MM's won't countenance a Friday close above $800. I could be very wrong, but I also don't mind to sell 100 shares for @$805 either, never forgetting that the pricing in the premium make the sale effectively @$820.

For me, it's simple... just buy on the way down, sell on the way up. Nothing more complex than that, no "decisions" to make. No risk of being "left behind" from the stock taking off, as every sell corresponds to a previously made buy; if we go all the way back up, I'm back to having the same ratio of bought / sold calls that I started with. The only difference is that each time I buy/sell, I shift the strike up (paid for by the volatility). Buy back a sold $1500 for say $52x100 on the way down, re-sell a 1550 for $52,02x100 on the way back up (a couple dolllars added to pay for fees ;) ). If we get a big jump premarket, I may sell a higher strike.

After the stock price collapsed from the $900s, I started out with 32 sold $1500s (the uper / short legs of of 32 spreads). I've so far bought back six (26 left) and resold 4 - two to $1550, two to $1700. Nearly resold another $1550 today. If I'd managed it better I would have shifted a lot more strikes by now; I was initially way too ambitious with how dramatically to try to move each strike, and a couple times I got left behind by the stock moving too quickly). But I can't complain! :)

The only risk for me is if the stock goes down and doesn't go back up for a year. IMHO, not much of a risk, and regardless, it's anything but a "bet it all" bet even in that situation; I'd just end up out some stock that was used to pay for the option buybacks on the way down.

Last edited:
Morten ⚓️Grove on Twitter

upload_2020-2-13_22-32-52.png

I have no clue how he'd know this...

I have some big issues with posts such as this one:

This post, which seems to receive a lot of Likes and Loves despite being at best aggressive in language and at worst straight-up offensive towards a fellow forum member, was a direct reply to @Singuy , who said
Not "thats the dumbest thing I have heard in weeks". Be more like Zach.

We get a lot of commentary here on what Elon means when he makes certain statements. And then later, when some of the actions the company makes seem to directly contradict those previous statements, we again see commentary (oftentimes from the same forum members) claiming that those statements Elon made previously were misunderstood by other forum members, who obviously are haters etc., and should obviously have been understood in a way that perfectly matches the new reality.

A very specific example may help.

During the CC on Jan 29, there was the following exchange:
Dan Levy
Hi, good evening. Thank you for taking the question. Just want to follow-up on the question on capital raise. So given the cheaper cost of capital – and this is a real competitive advantage for others – why wouldn't it make sense to raise capital to either pay down debt or to pursue acquisitions especially bolt- ons that could help you accelerate capabilities and autonomous and battery technology?

Elon Musk
I mean, if you know of any acquisitions, we'd love to hear about them. Yes, sure. Sounds great, whom should we acquire?

Dan Levy
Well, given the importance of autonomous I imagine that this is an area that you would want to accelerate, if you view it as a crucial competitive advantage?

Elon Musk
We're not aware of anyone that we'd want to acquire.

Dan Levy
And debt pay down?

Elon Musk
Diluting the company to pay down debt, doesn't sound like a wise move.

Dan Levy
I think the broader... there's been a couple of versions of this question over the course of the call. I think what we're saying more broadly is that as we look forward on the cash generation from the business relative to what our plans are, we are not constrained.

Elon Musk
Yes, we're going to pay down the debt just as time goes by and we paid down $0.5 billion worth the debt last quarter. So we'll just keep steadily paying it down and... yes, so... yes. But, yes, I don't think we have any more say on that part, all right?

Here are some posts from Jan 29, "live" commentary from the CC:

@Artful Dodger (among many others) Loved this post.

This below refers to the exchange quoted above, Elon replying to Dan Levy's questions:

@Artful Dodger (among many others) Loved this post.

So, on the night of the conference call multiple forum members agreed that Elon's comment on the suggestion of a capital raise was equivalent to calling that suggestion dumb, even though not using the exact word. Elon said "[it] doesn't sound like a wise move". Easy to imply he thought the idea was dumb.

And now here we are, a capital raise has indeed taken place, many forum members celebrate it as a great idea (and whether it is or not is not actually relevant to the discussion, I personally believe it helps that Tesla improved their cash reserves), and when someone mentions Elon's comments with their at-the-time agreed-upon meaning, they get dumped on and called names.

Can we please be kinder to each other, particularly when things are otherwise moving positively with Tesla? Do we really need to flex so much and claim intellectual superiority vs. other forum members while being borderline insulting? It seems to happen fairly frequently these days, and it only contributes to a toxic atmosphere where you risk being called out as ill-intentioned, self-loathing, frustrated, or even plain dumb for saying something slightly wrong or not entirely factual. It's ok to point out incorrect quotes etc. but I fail to see why we need to follow that up with personal insults.
Nice. I will make a potentially more awkward point:
Given that TSLA is now untouchable, we should in addition to being kind, perhaps tolerate bulls making less than bullish points on occasion. The search for the truth will increasingly be important as the SP rises. Devils advocate is often the only way to the truth.
Why did Tesla decide to raise capital? Because they thought it was a good decision to. Thus the company should be worth more than it was before the raise. It could however indicate that things were not so well as we thought before the raise, but it could also indicate that things were better than we though, we don’t know.

What will they use it for? We don’t know, but here are some plausible ideas:

1. Secure the company. Be prepared if Covid-19 kills FCF the coming quarters or for some other reason the company has a difficult time
2. Use cash to acquire some company or part of a company, for example Panasonic GF1 cell production, some Semi truck manufacturer, some Lithium miner, some taxi/ride sharing company
3. Build another battery gigafactory with own cell production
4. Build more car factories for Semi, Cybertruck, Model 2 or more 3/Y in China/Asia/Europe
5. New product line for example bicycle, Escooter, boat, EVTOL
6. Some combination of above
How about using the money to buy batteries? It would force the OEMs to invest which is the best thing for them in the long term. And it would guarantee supply for years to come.

I don't believe this - I just sold off my Feb 21 calls yesterday at market close, thinking Thurs and Fri will be down days, and I can use the cash to add more stock. And today the stock jumps up by $40!!! Missed out on 28K in additional gains:mad:

Even worse, I didn't place any orders to buy more stock since I was busy in meetings all day. So now my account is flush with cash, but the stock has shot up over $800.

Tomorrow better be a red day. So just for 1 day, I am rooting for the shorts and manipulators :eek::eek:

Ford up .03 today. Adam Jonas is getting a Mach E.

Papa - my friend’s dad has a Tesla and it can go 300 miles and it has video games and cartoons and he can even make it fart! His dad got the super fast one because he made a lot of money with Tesla stonks or something. Do you have Tesla stonks? Why didn’t we get a Tesla? Papa why are you crying?

I don't believe this - I just sold off my Feb 21 calls yesterday at market close, thinking Thurs and Fri will be down days, and I can use the cash to add more stock. And today the stock jumps up by $40!!! Missed out on 28K in additional gains:mad:

Even worse, I didn't place any orders to buy more stock since I was busy in meetings all day. So now my account is flush with cash, but the stock has shot up over $800.

Tomorrow better be a red day. So just for 1 day, I am rooting for the shorts and manipulators :eek::eek:

I don't recommend short term calls. The occasional fun lotto ticket, sure, but...

Reactions: lklundin and dw4ngg

So, work can get in the way of making money. That's one more disruption right there. ;)

Yikes - that would've been worth a sick day right there.

• Funny
Reactions: hoang51

I have enough shares to retire if the SP gets to $7k one day, but I wouldn’t mind having more shares, so I sell puts. Worst case scenario: you don’t get the shares, but you pocket a nice premium. Best case scenario: you get shares at a discount from today’s price, and you also get to pocket a nice premium.

That scene of course had nothing to do with stuttering or flirting. That was Elon turning a question into a zing at a competitor's expense ;) I don't remember exactly what the zing was, but I remember that it was a.

The zing was about SLS being late.

My favorite part is his expression after he states about the stainless steel being 2% of the cost. Hilarious

Last edited:
I have enough shares to retire if the SP gets to $7k one day, but I wouldn’t mind having more shares, so I sell puts. Worst case scenario: you don’t get the shares, but you pocket a nice premium. Best case scenario: you get shares at a discount from today’s price, and you also get to pocket a nice premium.

Just to educate us, can you give an example of where it worked and didn’t work for you and what happened? Approx. values for prices...

Euh.. because selling 70,000 $100 puts at $1(?) earns you an easy $70,000, because no way they're going to be exercised at current prices?

(Noob too, so I may have missed a clue or two.. :D)

70k Puts with a premium of $1 gets you $7M (7M shares covered by those 70k put options). Of course, you have to be ready to spend $700M if you get exercised (7M shares * $100/share) - I for one wouldn't mind acquiring 7M shares at that price, but my bankroll is a little light.