Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PG&E’s Fire Victims Are Set to Become Its Biggest Shareholders | WSJ.com (15 hrs ago)

Blue sky'ing this here folks, not suggesting what could or should happen:

How much would it cost for Tesla to buy PG&E (the bankrupt NorCal Electric Utility)?

What are the advantages, disadvantages, risks to owning such a utility?

Thanks for your thoughts. All discussion warmly received... (NOT a fire season joke!)

Cheers!

I'm probably missing something, but this seems analogous to Netflix buying blockbuster. Why would they? Aquiring PG and E would be little benefit but bring a ton of liability. Meanwhile Tesla can sell solar and batteries and take customers away from PG and E

I'm probably missing something, but this seems analogous to Netflix buying blockbuster. Why would they? Aquiring PG and E would be little benefit but bring a ton of liability. Meanwhile Tesla can sell solar and batteries and take customers away from PG and E

The only problem with electricity grids are the utilities that run them.

There was some discussion here a couple of weeks ago about how often shares need (or often are) to be bought as part of an options deal. Can someone please fill in the missing info below:

• Buy Call (long, short or hedging)
    • Trader also purchases shares at some point: Yes if exercising
    • Seller also purchases shares at some point: ?
    • MM also purchases shares at some point:?
  • Sell Call (long, short or hedging)
    • Trader also purchases shares at some point: Often (none if naked)
  • Buy Put (long, short or hedging)
    • Trader also purchases shares at some point: Often if hedging
    • Seller also purchases shares at some point: ?
  • Sell Put (long, short or hedging)
    • Trader also purchases shares at some point: ?
My interest being that in most cases, shares get bought at some point in the cycle. Even if the MMs short the underlying stock, they have to buy back at the end. I'm aware that some of these are mirror images - just wanted to cover all the angles.

"I do think that my generation had the best of all this technological change," said Munger, 96, noting medicine has improved dramatically during his lifetime while inventions such as air conditioning have increased the standard of living. "I don't think we're going to get as much improvement in the future because we've gotten so much already."

I guess one can trust Charlie on innovation as he successfully missed all of them.

I (I thought innocently) mentioned on the Icelandic Tesla FB group that I thought it was weird that news that came out a week ago was suddenly all over the place as if it were new. Nothing more than that, just that it was weird. I was called a conspiracy theorist and told not to be so sensitive on Tesla's behalf. *Sigh*... :(

That scene of course had nothing to do with stuttering or flirting. That was Elon turning a question into a zing at a competitor's expense ;) I don't remember exactly what the zing was, but I remember that it was a pretty clever way to invert the question.

Bring it on. :) I love these ups and downs!

For me, it's simple... just buy on the way down, sell on the way up. Nothing more complex than that, no "decisions" to make. No risk of being "left behind" from the stock taking off, as every sell corresponds to a previously made buy; if we go all the way back up, I'm back to having the same ratio of bought / sold calls that I started with. The only difference is that each time I buy/sell, I shift the strike up (paid for by the volatility). Buy back a sold $1500 for say $52x100 on the way down, re-sell a 1550 for $52,02x100 on the way back up (a couple dolllars added to pay for fees ;) ). If we get a big jump premarket, I may sell a higher strike.

After the stock price collapsed from the $900s, I started out with 32 sold $1500s (the uper / short legs of of 32 spreads). I've so far bought back six (26 left) and resold 4 - two to $1550, two to $1700. Nearly resold another $1550 today. If I'd managed it better I would have shifted a lot more strikes by now; I was initially way too ambitious with how dramatically to try to move each strike, and a couple times I got left behind by the stock moving too quickly). But I can't complain! :)

The only risk for me is if the stock goes down and doesn't go back up for a year. IMHO, not much of a risk, and regardless, it's anything but a "bet it all" bet even in that situation; I'd just end up out some stock that was used to pay for the option buybacks on the way down.

In theory, to sell 32 covered calls you'd need 3200 shares, or uncovered 32x strike price in margin or capital. Right?

I only have around $160k to play with in my trading account, so I can do one, two calls/puts max. I'm not going to use margin, there lies madness.

This is something I could apply on my core shares account, where I could cover 5 calls - sell some high strike leaps, but then you need quite some volatility to shift the premiums back down on those. At least with short term calls/puts, you can pocket $5k a week just playing with one of each if you time it right.

Those who are from a different era may remember when those uppity Californians of the ...late 60s???...called PGE something like Pigs Grunts & I cant remember the third.
It has skewed my attitude toward that company ever since.

It seems my attitude was not misplaced.

Pigs, Goats and Elephants if I recall correctly. My late dad was a career IT person for PG&E, worked there for 35 years before retiring in 1987. I often wonder what dad would think about Tesla and the green revolution. I’m sure he’d be disgusted at what PG&E has become today.

If we add all the deferred revenue to be recognized this year, that is about $1 billion already? Does it convert to additional $5 EPS for the year?

from the 10-k

Deferred revenue related to sales of automotive regulatory credits was $140 million and $0 as of December 31, 2019 and 2018, respectively. We expect to recognize the deferred revenue as of December 31, 2019 in the next 12 months

"Of the total deferred revenue on automotive sales with and without resale value guarantees as of December 31, 2019, we expect to recognize $751 million of revenue in the next 12 months"

" We have net $151 million of deferred tax assets in foreign jurisdictions, which management believes are more-likely-than-not to be fully realized given the expectation of future earnings in these jurisdictions."