Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3.3M of TSLA Tesla Shares Added by Legendary Hedge Fund

Lots of people follow what the big hedge funds are doing. This one is Renaissance.

I think it's too early to tell whether this is a legitimate long position or not. Here is their TSLA position over time:

renaisance.jpg

As you can see, they've traded in and out of a 500k-1M TSLA position a number of times. It is certainly possible that Q3's amazing financials made Renaissance decide to acquire a large long term TSLA position, but I can't count them among the long term bulls like Baillie, Capital World, ARK, etc. yet.

I think a lot of us have been banking on S&P500 inclusion after Q1 or Q2 this year to boost the SP significantly (even if it is short term). The coronavirus might hurt production (Tesla can't build cars if even a single part is unavailable) or delivery (if there is a global recession). It is very possible that Tesla will no longer be profitable in Q1 or Q2 because of world events that weren't on the radar a month ago.

You totaled your car or you are just enjoying the reduction of your portfolio value to the tune of an uno Cayman?
The latter. Oh well. Easy come, easy go when you play options. I'm still surprised by how numb I've become to this level of single day gains and losses in my portfolio, at some point it's just abstracted to the level of numbers on a web page getting bigger and smaller and you don't even associate it with money anymore.

So yeah, I want ARK to keep further evaluations and future potential SP raises to themselves for the time being. They won’t because nobody ever listens to me, so I’m expecting backlash for them to start to significantly increase and it to possibly weigh on TSLA in a negative way simply because this is how ‘those’ people roll. It’s just another way to try and slow Tesla/TSLA.

ARK Invest will adjust their projections whenever new data is available that indicates they should adjust the projections. And sometimes it might be upward or, if the data indicates, downward. They just follow the data.

The most recent upward revision was because sales data showed that competitors EV's were not eating into their market share as much as originally projected (by them). They are not about to sit on more recent numbers without changing their projections to reflect the most recent data.

Hydro-Quebec To Commercialize Glass Battery Co-Developed By John Goodenough

Full Page Reload

“It can be glass or ceramic, but it is not a [lithium] polymer,” Zaghib said.

It can also be unicorn horn. /s

That news dropped about a week or two ago. In fact, wait a minute, *I* posted a link to this news 20 days ago here:

Jan 2020 Ravindra Kempaiah Li & Solid State battery technology review

And it was completely ignored. Anyways, 1-2 years from commercialization, no specs.

It's not so much that the numbers are better or worse compared to this or that other virus, be it regular flu or ebola, it is the response of quarantine, lockdown and shutdown, to this new and as yet unknown virus that will already affect the global economy.

Empty streets in Wuhan, population 11 million.
China is now the 2nd largest economy in the world.

The Lombardy region of Italy which is now under shutdown is the industrial powerhouse of the whole country which is the 8th largest economy in the world.

These 2 YouTube videos I found are mostly non alarmist and more factual;

"it's not so much the virus, it's the response to the virus; Lockdown"

"in 2003 when SARS hit, China was 4% of global output, now China is 17%"

The red cross advises having 2 weeks supply of food and water. It wouldn't hurt to have that much on hand, maybe stock up a little just in case. I'm thinking might as well get it now, because it would suck to fight the panic buyers if it comes to that.
Survival Kit Supplies

Last edited: