Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need help
I didn’t feel worse when it went 180
But this time... my parents asked me to sell at 750 and at 900 I didn’t listen.
Now I cannot focus on work and keep refreshing this forum/thread for good news

After hour price drop makes me even more nervous and uncomfortable.

I'm focusing on my long term goals.

In the short term, my only goal is to acquire as much TSLA as possible for as low of an average share price as I can.

I never planned on selling TSLA in the short term, so I'm not selling no matter what. The price of TSLA now actually has very little impact on the 5-10 year price.

Wondering if this weekend will give people time to calm down and reflect on the fact that even worst case this virus won't end humanity and that the market shouldn't drop 50% in a week.
Maybe, but based on development in China, we are still weeks away from peak in S.Korea, Japan, Italy. There is risk for community spread in other EU countries as well. And I dont think US is well prepared, if we see cases hiking in CA, NYC. Surely the market will continue to tank. And we will have super Tuesday next week. Wait for the Bernie effect. I kind of like this guy. But seems he doesnt like my portfolio.

• Funny
Reactions: phantasms
Highfliers and Downtrodden Stocks Alike Are Getting Hammered. It’s Fear, Not Capitulation.
“Tesla (ticker: TSLA) stock, however, is off 21% over the past week. Virgin Galactic (SPCE) is down 36% over the same span. The Dow Jones Industrial Average, for comparison, is down 9.1% and the S&P 500 has dropped 8.9%.

That might sound like capitulation. What's more, shares of large companies up more than 50% year to date are down about 16% on average over the past week.

But Tesla and Galactic shares are still up more than 85% and 100%, respectively. The average gain for stocks in the plus-50% year-to-date club is 86%.
This means, in part, the recent selloff appears based in fear. Investors are taking a sell first, ask questions later approach. It is painful, but it bodes well for stocks when coronavirus fears fade.”

FYI - Elon Musk will be interviewed on a livestream tomorrow at 10.55am as part of an air force conference:
3CEA383E-52BA-4A2A-9C90-C5DA375BF8B9.jpeg

Anybody can share Europe delivery no. so far this Q v.s. last Q? I think it's going to give us some sense of how delivery is going on right now. if Q1 lags, we might well see the stock tank with macros in Q1/2.

The ships started days later so first deliveries are later too. Earliest I've heard is people getting their TM3 March 4th in Norway. Since usually shipped trough the Netherlands I guess first deliveries even earlier there.

For some of the countries look here: EV registration statistics for The Netherlands, Norway and Spain

Yes, Sold to take profit from basis of 225$

So, whats your point ?

To rub it in: by choosing to not own your 200 shares of TSLA as they went from 317$ to 676$ you missed out on that price gain times 200, that's close to 72k$ of _extra_ cash you spent to own your 200 shares. You also had capital tax gains of 200 times your realized gains, that's 18400$ of taxable income - offset by your new and much higher cost basis, meaning that your future capital gains will be much less - which sounds kind of nice - but really is not, because it comes from the fact that your future profits are going to be so much smaller.

So with the relatively simple buy and hold strategy, you could have increased your holdings from 200 to 300 shares today, for about the same invested money (since those 100 shares would have cost 67.6k$, i.e. about the amount you would have available for trading today, had you not sold at 317$).

I think the metaphor 'trying to catch a falling knife' tries to convey that timing one's trades in a highly volatile market can turn out much worse than a simple buy and hold strategy.

Maybe, but based on development in China, we are still weeks away from peak in S.Korea, Japan, Italy. There is risk for community spread in other EU countries as well. And I dont think US is well prepared, if we see cases hiking in CA, NYC. Surely the market will continue to tank. And we will have super Tuesday next week. Wait for the Bernie effect. I kind of like this guy. But seems he doesnt like my portfolio.

In China people were unaware for two months, in EU everyone is ready for it, so italy should be contained faster.

Actually both....but if the first is not honored the second will happen:D

You clearly got invited, these are the exact words of @Krugerrand:

Hmm... I almost want to invite you to my island for a beer now. :confused:

And you and your friends kindly accepted.

(I'll be observing "Operation Beachhead" from a safe distance. @Krugerrand, please no warheads beyond 1 megaton yield, show restraint in your response.)

Last edited:
I fully expect it to bounce off 420.69 as this is all a simulation.

To keep it at 10% I presume, no? Same reason they sell when it goes up.

Nope. The sell when its above 10% because their set rules require it but if they buy or not depends on their assessment under the restriction the holding is below 10%.

Expect them to sell when its going up again which makes sense for their investors.