Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need help
I didn’t feel worse when it went 180
But this time... my parents asked me to sell at 750 and at 900 I didn’t listen.
Now I cannot focus on work and keep refreshing this forum/thread for good news

After hour price drop makes me even more nervous and uncomfortable.
Do what the rest of do: screen your calls, especial those from parents.

Seriously, you'll be fine. The share price will be over $1000 next year, and you'll be a hero for picking up a few extra share when the market caught a virus.

We all have our challenges. As of today I am looking for a new broker, this is the third time that interactivebrokers.com disable my account access, claiming that I mistyped my password (which I never do, since I have a password manager).

Lars Kr. Lundin on Twitter

It may be because my browser of choice is Firefox (which only works with them in privacy mode - and IBKR seems to think I should use Chrome or their app) combined with SMS authentication.

My old broker (Comdirect.de) had no trading of TSLA options and higher fees, but at least their web-site worked.

6BAED86F-CA7D-494B-8804-03ECED2885F4.jpeg

I’ll ride this down into hell, who’s with me?

Looking to begin buying back some sold calls at $650 or lower tomorrow morning. Was originally planning to sit tight for the wash sale rule, but this opportunity is too good to pass up. Would not surprise me to see low $600s as a short term bottom on no significant new developments. Also would not surprise me if we rode down lower than that on negative virus news.

Still feeling zen AF.

How I cope with big red on my trading account today:
By the market close, I have big red on my account total today, and I was completely down. How do I cope with that? I transferred bigger amount from my Savings to my trading account. TD Ameritrade updates the account total immediately and counts the new fund as "gain". Now I get GREEN again. Feel much better now :)

Lol. Lower-BB is $634.44 right now. SP falling like a rock with 'uptick rule' in effect. This is either panic selling or naked shorting, or a combination of the two. I'll be interested to see the FINRA short report today.
Well, today's FINRA report (Reg. SHO compliance) confirms what I discussed here this morning: the 13% plunge today included a high proportion of naked short selling. Here's a chart of Feb-to-date, with days with the 'Uptick Rule' in effect highlighted in RED:

DailyShortSaleVolume.2020-02-27.png

More analysis later, but I'll get you started with these comments:
  • Today Thu, Feb 27, 2020 saw 4.64% FINRA "Short Exempt Volume" compared to "Short Volume" (this is short selling exempt from the SEC 'Uptick Rule')
  • This proportion of naked short selling allowed by the Market Makers Exemption* represents the 116th percentile rank compared to short exempt volume in Feb 2020 when the 'Uptick Rule' has not been in effect. This is abuse of priviledge
  • Notice that today is exactly 13 trading sessions since the last event of unusual short exempt volume (Feb 5, 2020)
  • As I have discussed here before, 13 days is exactly the reporting period allowed for MMs Failure-to-Deliver (FTD) reports, allowing max. mischief by MMs
  • The SEC has demonstrated clearly now that they intention to NOT enforce their own 'Madoff rule' governing Market Makers Short Selling Exemption - Regulation SHO (Rule 201) when it comes to TSLA. This is further dereliction of duty by the SEC, and is particularly egregious given their recent zeal in litgation against Tesla.
More analysis later. In the meantime, listen to Uncle Jack on parallels to 2000/08.

Regards,
Lodger

* To claim the exemption, the rule also says that compensation arrangements of persons who are engaged in market making must be designed not to reward or incentivize prohibited proprietary trading.Feb 4, 2014

Beware catching falling knives, especially with options/LEAPS. The big dogs make money when the market goes up and down. The market was recently at ATH. They love an excuse to drive the market down 20-50% and then make a killing after all the pigs have sold. Coronavirus is their excuse. If it is big on the Nightly news, we need to be careful, regardless of how big a threat it really is compared to the Flu. If a few hundred cases in Italy can do this much damage to our portfolios, just wait until we have thousands of cases in every country, including the US. TSLA at 500 in a month is not out of the question. Of course Model Y news could stop the fall, but I'm not counting on it. I'm waiting for a clear bottom and a slight recovery before I consider buying shares or options. Not advice, as a certain pilot stole my crystal ball, and then broke it.....

P.S. - I just saw that they are considering cancelling the summer Olympics now....

I see a lot of bloody hands.... This is not a drop from Tesla related FUD in a healthy market, where buying after a 10% drop represents a good opportunity. This is a drop because of Coronavirus fears, and I think it will last a lot longer than 4 days! Just wait until we have thousands of confirmed cases in the US. I sold Puts for July with 500SP. If we get to 500, I will sell more with 400SP. My goal is to pick up 2,000 shares at 500 and below, and sell them at SP1,000 for a quick $1Million gain.

P.S. - Because of tax reasons, and the small possibility of a quick rebound, I am not selling any core shares. I'm just not using ANY dry powder until we get to 500 and lower, which is looking likely IMHO.

Need help
I didn’t feel worse when it went 180
But this time... my parents asked me to sell at 750 and at 900 I didn’t listen.
Now I cannot focus on work and keep refreshing this forum/thread for good news....

Here's the good news:

1) You lost nothing if you held your shares.

2) You will lose nothing if you keep holding your shares.

3) This stock is eventually going to the moon, according to the highly intelligent and experienced experts here who spend all day every day studying Tesla from all angles.

4) Your parents know less about Tesla than our experts.

5) Most analysts and their victims know less about Tesla than our experts.

6) Your parents will eventually admire your intelligence and fortitude if you listen to the people who know the most about Tesla.

Quite a bit of after-hours trading - 580k shares so far.

I suspect this is the mirror image of the after-hours buying we saw after ATHs - this might be leveraged longs getting margin called, and maybe smaller options writers delta hedging.

Chamath was talking this week about how levered these hedge funds were, it’s probably true for some retail investors too I guess because the interest rates are so low. There’s too much action in the market.

• Informative
Reactions: Jovian and Dare
Just checking in to make sure nothing has fundamentally changed with Tesla (the company) this week. I've checked on TSLA but have missed the play-by-play here due to work.

I bought a few shares on the way down and will continue unless there is some type of bad news specific to Tesla or Elon or regulators. If this is all just Kung Flu hysteria it seems like a gift from above for those of us who wish we had a few more shares. When we were in the $900's I thought I might have purchased my last share. Now I can add a few more. My net worth has taken a hit but my future net worth looks even better.

Unless I missed something truly important. Break the news gently if I did.

Well, today's FINRA report (Reg. SHO compliance) confirms what I discussed here this morning: the 13% plunge today included a high proportion of naked short selling. Here's a chart of Feb-to-date, with days with the 'Uptick Rule' in effect highlighted in RED:

View attachment 515834
More analysis later, but I'll get you started with these comments:
  • Today Thu, Feb 27, 2020 saw 4.64% FINRA "Short Exempt Volume" compared to "Short Volume" (this is short selling exempt from the SEC 'Uptick Rule')
  • This proportion of naked short selling allowed by the Market Makers Exemption* represents the 116th percentile rank compared to short exempt volume in Feb 2020 when the 'Uptick Rule' has not been in effect. This is abuse of priviledge
  • Notice that today is exactly 13 trading sessions since the last event of unusual short exempt volume (Feb 5, 2020)
  • As I have discussed here before, 13 days is exactly the reporting period allowed for MMs Failure-to-Deliver (FTD) reports, allowing max. mischief by MMs
  • The SEC has demonstrated clearly now that they intention to NOT enforce their own 'Madoff rule' governing Market Makers Short Selling Exemption - Regulation SHO (Rule 201) when it comes to TSLA. This is further dereliction of duty by the SEC, and is particularly egregious given their recent zeal in litgation against Tesla.
More analysis later. In the meantime, listen to Uncle Jack on parallels to 2000/08.

Regards,
Lodger

* To claim the exemption, the rule also says that compensation arrangements of persons who are engaged in market making must be designed not to reward or incentivize prohibited proprietary trading.Feb 4, 2014

Thanks for the informative post. It’s so funny when you see the ridiculous articles everywhere saying the reason Tesla dropped today was because China Registrations dropped. This was obviously a coordinated attack to create panic.

I’m not sure I understand this 13 day rule. How are these crooks able to take advantage of the 13 day rule?

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I don’t think the posts suggesting markets are irrationally freaking out that “everyone is going to die” due to the corona virus are very helpful.

The markets are selling off from all time highs because there is already declining economic activity due to the virus, which is only going to get worse if outbreaks become more widespread, leading to a likely short term global recession, and with it lower corporate earnings and growth than anticipated, and the possible odd sector specific company collapse (unless governments bail them out).

While I believe the long term outlook for Tesla is fantastic, Tesla isn’t immune to the short term impacts of a recession. The launch of both MIC model 3 & Model Y is happening at the best possible time though. Reminds me of how iPhone sales were growing so much during the GFC - but it should be noted Apple stock price collapsed during the GFC (from $28 -> $12) even as iPhone growth was amazing.

Last edited:
That are words I listen to: fastest or biggest drop, panic, blood flows down the road.

This is good!

For people who are nervous, think if anything fundamentally changed between Tesla at $969 and today.

Epic buy opportunity and may get even better, you never know.:)
@avoigt
Years, decades perhaps ago, there was an article I _think_ in “technical analysis of Stocks and commodities” roughly titled “buy the notch” to accelerate gains when there is a sudden spike down that recovers
Sigh, I’m just 105% in tho

I actually wonder if those of you that are telling me to continue to hold because the stock will recover are accomplishing something for themselves when I take your advice? For all I know the "Hold it" advice could be just the opposite of the bears that try and get me to sell off with a reward for the pretend bullish that I don't understand?

• Disagree
Reactions: SpaceCash