Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone here has some insights when Model 3 will become #1 best selling EV in terms of total cars sold and surpassing Nissan Leaf

Nissan LEAF Sales Hit 450,000: World's #1 Selling EV, But Not For Long

Already happened or a matter of weeks?

Since they're largely shipping vehicles the first half of the year, my guess is that it'll happen this month--and then reported with the Q1 numbers. If, of course, agencies actually report it. 90k+ from Q4, and say the same for this Q, means it'd pass the 450k mark by about 80k. I don't think Leafs sell more than 10k cars a month.

The link provided said Tesla sold a cumulative 448k Model 3's by Dec 19. if it hasn't happened yet, than it absolutely will by EOM.

For me Robinhood is disqualified simply because they deem it necessary to have this page:
Robinhood Status

Last week I complained about technical issue with interactivebrokers.com - since then it has been working well and I am starting to explore its plethora of trading functionality.

the dashboard page isn’t the issue at robinhood. at least they had the foresight
to show customers a status page. to be down a whole trading day is inexcusable. especially after last weeks rout, and then to happen on a rebound like yesterday. what a joke. i know RH is mainly small fish, but where does one think the big fish started? anyone in their right mind should be out of there asap, after that debacle.

to be clear...every broker has technical issues. sometimes it’s the exchanges, sometimes it’s the broker infrastructure. it happens.

BUT, what happened yesterday (and they are still having email comms issues) at RH was inexcusable. i’ve never seen a case like that with any other broker.

i’ve been telling people to read the yearly barrons report on online brokers. it’s helpful. IB (the cheapest of any ‘paid’ brokerage account) fidelity, etc are usually the best.
they talk about etrade and schw for beginners...but does anyone really want to be at a broker for beginners? and then what...change brokers again once you become more experienced? that doesn’t make sense to me.

everyone is doing 0 comm now. your order flow will be sold to MMs, and you will get mugged on trades by *sugar* executions. but it’s “free”

ib splits into lite (0 comm) and pro (paid commission with best execution, not selling that flow to MMs). whereas others say they give you ‘smart’ routing, you pay commission, then they sell your order to MM anyway. (this is why they all went 0 comm, because they couldn’t get away with it anymore). anyway, they are still cheapest when selecting ‘pro’ package. my stock trades are usually $1.00 and even less in my IRA. my options trades range from $2 to $4 depending if they are index, equity, regular or weekly expirations, but can be more if you’re racking up contracts.
if you trade options, you want the best nbbo. the spreads are too wide to get ‘free’ trading.
——————-

anyway, lkundin, what was your tech issue at IB?

China's Geely invests $326 mln to build satellites for autonomous cars
Reuters

"China’s Zhejiang Geely Holding Group said on Tuesday it was investing 2.27 billion yuan ($326 million) in a new satellite manufacturing plant, where it plans to build low-orbit satellites to provide more accurate data for self-driving cars.
Geely said low-orbit satellites would offer high speed internet connectivity, precise navigation, and cloud computing capabilities to cars with autonomous driving technology."

Look like a case of "Monkey See, Monkey Do" :)

The sell side is so empty

Edit: 818 premarket

Attachments

• B9D503BA-E533-46A6-875D-6AC749E7B1A8.jpeg
    B9D503BA-E533-46A6-875D-6AC749E7B1A8.jpeg
    688.5 KB · Views: 76
I got my Interactive Broker account set up--but man, do I hate the two step verification every time I log in. So far, I've not found a way to turn this off. I was going to shift my shares from E*trade to IB, due to Morgan-Stanley buying E*trade, but not if I have to get a stupid SMS message every time I want to check my stocks. You know how often I obsessively check those things?

Is there a decent brokerage out here who doesn't require two-step verification every time you log in?

(Robinhood is off the table because 1) I don't know if it's come up since yesterday still, and 2) they don't accept stock transfers, so it defeats the purpose of taking my TSLA out of E*trade and away from Morgan-Stanley).

that’s weird. you can’t just say “remember me”? or look in “read only” mode which uses your face ID to unlock the app? or are you desktop tws?

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
that’s weird. you can’t just say “remember me”? or look in “read only” mode which uses your face ID to unlock the app? or are you desktop tws?

Desktop exclusively, so no finger print/face. And I switch between my home computer and my work one, so I have to get a stupid text logging into both. Like, I can understand asking once for initial set up two step--but not every single time, ugh.

Despite what you will hear....Europe Q1 sales will be strong
Other members have emphasized that Europe sales will have late deliveries this month giving the illusion of a weak start. I wanted to provide the numbers so that it is clearly understood.

Below are the numbers of ships that departed to Europe by quarter and the day in the quarter it departed. The days highlighted in yellow are the ships that will most likely have their cars delivered to customers in month 2 of that Quarter.

As you can see, there will be 2 ships likely delivered in February 2020 vs 3 ships in November 2019. As such, where November (month 2 of the Qtr) saw about 9,000 cars delivered, we will likely see 6,000 in February (month 2 of the Qtr). You’ll hear much FUD about this (as we did with the China January registrations) but don’t worry…Europe will be fine. With the 7 ships that departed in Jan & Feb, we should see sales of about 28,500 units in Europe this Quarter which will be awesome!

upload_2020-3-3_8-5-28.png

SMS? For me I get a popup that asks for my fingerprint.

I'm pretty sure it's possible to disable two-factor authentication (I'd first search in iBot, and if you find nothing, contact service; I've found their service to generally be very helpful), but IMHO that'd be a pretty dumb idea.

My main criticism with IB is that they've gone too far in terms of trying to be feature-rich, which can sometimes make it hard to find the specific feature that you're looking for. But overall I've been quite happy with them.

Yes, after I found a work-around to last week's connectivity issues, I am also content with IB.