Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the dashboard page isn’t the issue at robinhood. at least they had the foresight
to show customers a status page. to be down a whole trading day is inexcusable. especially after last weeks rout, and then to happen on a rebound like yesterday. what a joke. i know RH is mainly small fish, but where does one think the big fish started? anyone in their right mind should be out of there asap, after that debacle.

to be clear...every broker has technical issues. sometimes it’s the exchanges, sometimes it’s the broker infrastructure. it happens.

BUT, what happened yesterday (and they are still having email comms issues) at RH was inexcusable. i’ve never seen a case like that with any other broker.

i’ve been telling people to read the yearly barrons report on online brokers. it’s helpful. IB (the cheapest of any ‘paid’ brokerage account) fidelity, etc are usually the best.
they talk about etrade and schw for beginners...but does anyone really want to be at a broker for beginners? and then what...change brokers again once you become more experienced? that doesn’t make sense to me.

everyone is doing 0 comm now. your order flow will be sold to MMs, and you will get mugged on trades by *sugar* executions. but it’s “free”

ib splits into lite (0 comm) and pro (paid commission with best execution, not selling that flow to MMs). whereas others say they give you ‘smart’ routing, you pay commission, then they sell your order to MM anyway. (this is why they all went 0 comm, because they couldn’t get away with it anymore). anyway, they are still cheapest when selecting ‘pro’ package. my stock trades are usually $1.00 and even less in my IRA. my options trades range from $2 to $4 depending if they are index, equity, regular or weekly expirations, but can be more if you’re racking up contracts.
if you trade options, you want the best nbbo. the spreads are too wide to get ‘free’ trading.
——————-

anyway, lkundin, what was your tech issue at IB?

Well, last Thursday while the markets were open I repeatedly got a message that IB could not connect to the markets, so I could not actually trade. Friday morning I called their helpdesk, that did confirm technical issues which by that time had been resolved. Also, on two previous occasions their SMS authentication was not working, which then caused IB to disable my password, so I had to call their helpdesk, answer their security questions so they could reset the password. Smaller issues is that they seem less interested in supporting Firefox, which therefore can only be used in Privacy Mode, and that sometimes a notification of theirs is repeated more than a dozen times. Also, I sometimes get a warning that my sessions has trading disabled along with a button to press to re-enable trading. This never works (and getting the warning a number of times and then pressing the fresh button will disable the login). My work-around is to logout and to login again. Since I am not a day trader, that's acceptable to me - at least so far.

PS. Today my German, now backup broker also displayed a warning about not all markets having connectivity for trading, so I guess this can happen to anyone e.g. if the problem is on the other end.

March 3, 4:00am EST

JMP Securities Upgrades Tesla (TSLA) to Market Outperform on Attractive Entry Point, Street High PT

"JMP Securities analyst Joseph Osha upgraded Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) from Market Perform to Market Outperform with a Street High price target of $1,060."​

The analyst comments "The recent market-driven pullback provides investors with a good opportunity to enter the stock in our opinion, and a perusal of offerings from competitors suggests that TSLA’s market position should continue to be dominant. Interestingly enough, revisions to our 2021 model put us only moderately above consensus, but a look at the longer-term potential for TSLA’s growth suggests the stock should be more highly valued on the 2021 outlook than it currently is. To be specific, we argue that the stock should be valued at 32x EV/EBITDA and 5x EV/ Revenue based on 2021 estimates, with the resulting valuation discounted back one year at 10%."​

Screenshot 2020-03-03 at 8.27.44 AM.png

Desktop exclusively, so no finger print/face. And I switch between my home computer and my work one, so I have to get a stupid text logging into both. Like, I can understand asking once for initial set up two step--but not every single time, ugh.

Given the amount of money I have on IB and the fact that each trade does not require authentication, I am quite happy with the two-factor authentication at every login. I would have liked the sessions to not time out so quickly, though. I had hoped to find a setting for the timeout, but there does not seem to be one.

Despite what you will hear....Europe Q1 sales will be strong
Other members have emphasized that Europe sales will have late deliveries this month giving the illusion of a weak start. I wanted to provide the numbers so that it is clearly understood.

Below are the numbers of ships that departed to Europe by quarter and the day in the quarter it departed. The days highlighted in yellow are the ships that will most likely have their cars delivered to customers in month 2 of that Quarter.

As you can see, there will be 2 ships likely delivered in February 2020 vs 3 ships in November 2019. As such, where November (month 2 of the Qtr) saw about 9,000 cars delivered, we will likely see 6,000 in February (month 2 of the Qtr). You’ll hear much FUD about this (as we did with the China January registrations) but don’t worry…Europe will be fine. With the 7 ships that departed in Jan & Feb, we should see sales of about 28,500 units in Europe this Quarter which will be awesome!

View attachment 517424

Great analytics and good to hear.

But don't tell anyone :)
Tesla & Shorts.png

we want to catch them again :D

@Cherry Wine Did you say that you received the 2020.4.11 update and it wasn't the update to include the higher range for your 2/2020 Model X?

Someone on twitter is saying that they got that same firmware and that he now has the higher range:

greg on Twitter

View attachment 517437

So I assumed there was no range update based on release notes, but it appears I was incorrect. (I have range displayed in terms of battery percentage so had to switch over to see the max range in terms of miles.) Just switched and checked max range in app - 353 miles.

Nice!

7DBCDE3D-93D6-46D7-B613-6C73874404BA.jpeg

Great analytics and good to hear.

But don't tell anyone :)View attachment 517438
we want to catch them again :D

Charlie Brown as TSLAQ

Charlie thinking, "China Sales registrations are down in January....Europe February registrations are awful"
upload_2020-3-3_9-4-6.png

Charlie: "This is the quarter Tesla goes Bankrupt !!!!
upload_2020-3-3_9-4-27.png

Tesla delivers a beautiful Q1
upload_2020-3-3_9-4-48.png

So I assumed there was no range update based on release notes, but it appears I was incorrect. (I have range displayed in terms of battery percentage so had to switch over to see the max range in terms of miles.) Just switched and checked max range in app - 353 miles.

Nice!

View attachment 517451

Do you remember what the old range was, before the upgrade?

The new EPA range for brand new Model X's is 351 miles - so this probably proves that there's no new, larger battery pack, and that cars build back in January are getting the full range upgrade as well. (This might be of interest to @verygreen)

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Do you remember what the old range was, before the upgrade?

The new EPA range for brand new Model X's is 351 miles - so this probably proves that there's no new, larger battery pack, and that cars build back in January are getting the full range upgrade as well. (This might be of interest to @verygreen)

It was right in line with the previous EPA estimate- 327 or 328mi.

March 3, 4:00am EST

JMP Securities Upgrades Tesla (TSLA) to Market Outperform on Attractive Entry Point, Street High PT

"JMP Securities analyst Joseph Osha upgraded Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) from Market Perform to Market Outperform with a Street High price target of $1,060."​

The analyst comments "The recent market-driven pullback provides investors with a good opportunity to enter the stock in our opinion, and a perusal of offerings from competitors suggests that TSLA’s market position should continue to be dominant. Interestingly enough, revisions to our 2021 model put us only moderately above consensus, but a look at the longer-term potential for TSLA’s growth suggests the stock should be more highly valued on the 2021 outlook than it currently is. To be specific, we argue that the stock should be valued at 32x EV/EBITDA and 5x EV/ Revenue based on 2021 estimates, with the resulting valuation discounted back one year at 10%."​

Cramer agrees with the call. He also said “people love electronic vehicles “ lol

Don't you want the newest MCU not just for the games but for reliability? I thought MCU1 had only 64gigs of flash memory and breaks eventually due to written daily logs.
If this is a real issue Tesla better fix it ... I am not buying a $2500 MCU because of inefficient operation... however it is really great to see this in general .. ICE vehicle you spend $2500 and get replacement parts with the same functionality .. with Tesla your vehicle is refreshed and upgraded ... o_O

I am spending my AP/FSD/MCU2 budget of $12,500 on TSLA shares when the SP drops again ...