Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A VIN for the Model Y has been assigned:
VINs are in for the Y : teslamotors
200.gif

Giga Berlin Update: "Arikon” Will Officially Build Giga Berlin, First Crane Arrives : teslamotors

European customers are being told their Model Y will come from GF Berlin.

That makes perfect sense to me, it also seem s logical GF Berlin would make RHD Model Y for the UK market.

GF Shanghai makes Model Y for China ,and possibly RHD Model Y for Asia Pacific..

So Fremont only makes Model Y for US/Canada there, is a minimal wave for Model Y, and transport is optimised.

Fremont continuing to make RHD Model 3 for worldwide markets is no big deal...

The final step is GF Berlin making Model 3 for Europe and possibly RHD Model 3 for the UK.

Get to this stage there is a minimal wave, transport is optimised as far as possible and no factory is making an overly complex mix of products...

It also makes sense for any future high volume models to be handled in a similar manner.

Giga Berlin Update: "Arikon” Will Officially Build Giga Berlin, First Crane Arrives : teslamotors

European customers are being told their Model Y will come from GF Berlin.

That makes perfect sense to me, it also seem s logical GF Berlin would make RHD Model Y for the UK market.

GF Shanghai makes Model Y for China ,and possibly RHD Model Y for Asia Pacific..

So Fremont only makes Model Y for US/Canada there, is a minimal wave for Model Y, and transport is optimised.

Fremont continuing to make RHD Model 3 for worldwide markets is no big deal...

The final step is GF Berlin making Model 3 for Europe and possibly RHD Model 3 for the UK.

Get to this stage there is a minimal wave, transport is optimised as far as possible and no factory is making an overly complex mix of products...

It also makes sense for any future high volume models to be handled in a similar manner.

I guess the only downside is tracking ships will not be as exciting, "ship trackers" will need to find a new hobby.

I like it - deliver Model Y's without a delivery event! Totally casual. Nothing for the media to see here. Don't want to drum up more interest, that will just increase the order backlog and increase wait times too far into the future.

If that's not giving the middle finger to the media and naysayers, I don't know what is! :D

Or they could film the first surprise deliveries kinda like they did with the first European M3 test drives. Do you remember this video:

OT

Has Tesla ever brought up the concept of regen suspension? It could work very much like regenerative breaking in that anyplace where there is movement, it can be exploited into energy and vice versa, the energy could control the movement. On top of the potential energy to be collected, it could also be used to control the movement of the wheels and tires the same way the proposed Bose active suspension did some 10 or more years ago. I remember being blown away by that but it was never implemented to my knowledge.

What think y'all?

Not that I disagree with your point, but in my opinion a design is perfect not when there is nothing more to add, but rather when there is nothing more to remove.

I agree, but some folks like bling.

What seems missed by critics of Cybertruck aesthetics is the industry that will spring up to customize the badass look anyway you want... with colored wraps, decals, racks, lamps, or cages like the artist's concept above. The design is a blank canvas for folks to like to be exclusive and who equate luxury with lots of decorative fiddly-bits.

I plan to spray-paint my Cybertruck with graffiti so I can spot it quickly in parking lots.*

cybertruck13.jpg

*also to signal my unconcern with what corporate advertisers and their captive media tell me I should worry about.

Not enough energy to recover, unless you're going off road. Feel your shocks after a drive, they'll barely be warmer than the surrounding air, which means not much energy is being wasted.
I think you might be surprised... there are micro movements in the suspension whenever you're driving or stoping or starting or cornering, all of which could be converted into energy. Mongo recently forwarded me an article from an engineer at Maxwell describing various areas where micro energies can be captured and active suspension was listed, along with several others I had not considered. At least we know Tesla is aware of it and whether or not they take advantage of it will demonstrate it's viability.

Is it just me, or is there a different definition of Feature Complete (implying "Released") running around than the more conservative one I get from these:

View attachment 518321

There is the CEO/Product Marketing definition of "feature complete" and the engineering definition of "feature complete."

The former is what the CEO and product marketing people want to hear, therefore think they hear, therefore announce to the world, and the latter is what engineers say when they tell product marketing "hey we built everything you asked for in the spec, and now it has to be handed off to QA for testing and then we will fix the bugs that get reported but please understand that hasn't happened yet."

The CEOs and product marketing people of the world generally ignore the second half of that sentence, the way some folks ignore, for example, phrases like "a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State..." and only hear the part they want to hear.

Elon must know better than to utter "feature complete" out to the world but he clearly can't resist. QA and testing, being necessary for the proper and expected functioning of any piece of software, are a hassle and often take longer than anticipated, and Tesla is under intense pressure, both from external forces and internal, to ship, ship, ship.

Homework assignment: compare and contrast how "feature complete" is treated at Tesla and at, say, SpaceX.

Last edited:
I think you might be surprised... there are micro movements in the suspension whenever you're driving or stoping or starting or cornering, all of which could be converted into energy. Mongo recently forwarded me an article from an engineer at Maxwell describing various areas where micro energies can be captured and active suspension was listed, along with several others I had not considered. At least we know Tesla is aware of it and whether or not they take advantage of it will demonstrate it's viability.
Sure there is energy which could be captured. The question is there enough to be meaningful, and at what cost?

Corporate bailouts are not truly blind endeavors by the government. It's kind of a business transaction and as in any business transaction, you have to have a sound proposal. Last time GM got bailed out the economy was in free fall. The business proposal was still there; competition was more or less on the same level. All GM needed was money and new management. A bankruptcy due to inability to compete is a very different story. What's the government gonna do after? Where're the techs? There will be no bailout as it will just end up losing all the money again and again.
I hope you are right..but I don't think highly of the last set of bailouts...I mean, they didn't see this coming a few years ago?