Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Random thought: does anyone think that during the next GM bankruptcy they could get part of the agreement to allow them to finally cut the strings (contracts) with all their franchise dealerships, to allow them to sell direct? In states that allow it now, of course.You have to think they would love to get a bigger slice of the pie. Dealerships could still buy cars from GM to sell, but GM would also be allowed to sell off the web.
The dealers that sell the majority of the cars (my understanding) are large dealers with multiple brands (separate locations, and often multi-state). None of those would be all that hurt if they closed the GM ones. The problem with GM selling on the web is that there is virtually no hope they will get the kind of enthusiastic customer support that Tesla gets.

Good news for GF4 Berlin: Today the period for public objections against GF4 ends. Environmental organisations (including Grüne Liga which caused the temporal stop of tree cutting by going to court) have made a press release that they generally support the construction and will not generally appeal the building permit. I think that makes the it much more likely that the permit will be issued. They do have some criticisms of details though but this doesn´t sound like it should delay the project as a whole.

Exklusiv: Umweltverbände billigen Bau der Tesla-Fabrik, üben allerdings scharfe Kritik am Planungsverfahren

Press release of BUND Brandenburg: Naturschutzverbände nehmen Unterlagen zur Tesla Gigafabrik unter die Lupe

There they don´t talk explicitely about support of GF4, so it seems the interpretation by business insider comes from the lack of fundamental opposition in the release. There is link at the bottom to the complete formal letter to the state government which is their contribution to the formal objection process.

Looking at the local twitter feeds the site seems incredibly busy, even more than before. That bodes well for what´s to come!

Last edited:
Good news for GF4 Berlin: Today the period for public objections against GF4 ends. Environmental organisations (including Grüne Liga which caused the temporal stop of tree cutting by going to court) have made a press release that they generally support the construction and will not generally appeal the building permit. I think that makes the it much more likely that the permit will be issued. They do have some criticisms of details though but this doesn´t sound like it should delay the project as a whole.

Exklusiv: Umweltverbände billigen Bau der Tesla-Fabrik, üben allerdings scharfe Kritik am Planungsverfahren

Looking at the local twitter feeds the site seems incredibly busy, even more than before. That bodes well for what´s to come!

Here's an article in English:

Solar Roof now taking deposits for installation in 45 States + DC.

Order your Solar Roof

Dang these quotes are incredible:

upload_2020-3-5_12-57-11.png

I like it - deliver Model Y's without a delivery event! Totally casual. Nothing for the media to see here. Don't want to drum up more interest, that will just increase the order backlog and increase wait times too far into the future.

If that's not giving the middle finger to the media and naysayers, I don't know what is! :D

What Tesla could do is to deliver the first Model Ys out of Fremont to buyers who already have a Tesla (and thus know everything needed to take delivery), using the summon feature:

One buyer at a time goes (alone) to a spot where they can sync their phone with their car, then their car drives to them, buyer verifies that the car has no damage, signs off on delivery (under a web-cam, so Tesla can see they really sign?), drops signed papers in a mail slot and drives away.

Buyers could sign a waver that their delivery event may be streamed later, and those deliveries that look good can then be uploaded to social media.

That should get Tesla some attention....

Wow, I didn't know I was anyone's favorite.

My comment as partly in jest, but I actually work at one of these SIFIs. I can tell you that financial institutions have become much more heavily regulated, largely in response to the financial crisis that forced these bailout mergers. Could such a thing happen with auto makers? I can't rule it out. Crises can lead to abrupt policy changes.

If Tesla becomes nearly monopoly in this country, especially a monopoly for robotaxis, it may find itself deeply regulated. The political risks go up, the more economic distress and worker displacement there is. Vehicle autonomy could kill off large numbers of job, while becoming a technology of strategic importance to national security. If enough people are upset and frightened, politicians will arise to try to fight for them.

So I'm not saying any of this will happen. These are just scenarios. But with scale comes political risks.

I figured your comment was somewhat in jest (and thus my "jesty" footnote) -- you are my favorite after all!

Unfortunately, some on this forum tend to have some serious misunderstandings of how our government works and what it is capable of (understandable for our foreign friends, less for our domestic ones).

I just wanted to clarify your point so that no one would run too far with it. (Like you, I have quite a bit of professional expertise in these areas).

On substance, you and I might have a modest disagreement on the likelihood of political risk for Tesla or frankly any industrial company. (Heck, I'd argue that banks don't even have that much political risk relative to other countries). In tech, for example, we don't yet regulate Microsoft, Facebook, Google or Amazon and those are all certainly problematic. Obviously, it's been talked about this campaign season, but it's still quite a ways off.

That all being said, if Tesla becomes a regulated monopoly, I'm not sure I should care about what the government forces it to do. As an investor, I'll be happily on a beach at that point. ;-)

This market is hilarious.

Day 1 "OMG stonks down virus!"
Day 2 "OMG stonks cheap go buy"
Day 3 *go to Day 1
Dang these quotes are incredible:

View attachment 518353
It's not bad at all. With incentives it's quoting $5.60 per square foot for the solar roof. A cheap asphalt roof is in the $2-$4 range I believe. If I thought I'd be in my house for more than 5 years I'd probably be reserving today. Being in Kansas I'm not confident that my home value would increase enough to offset the cost. Home values generally being 1/2 or less than in expensive markets also contributes to this.

If these roofs work correctly and they can ramp production, this will bring in lots of money. Third row just shared one on Twitter and it's gorgeous. The ROI isn't super high but the ROI on a regular roof is almost zero.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Eugene Ash
Ugh, it is getting exhausting having to listen to these "media" folks like this Yahoo Finance guy who at the end of the clip is wrapping things up by talking about the obstacles to widespread EV adoption, citing (sigh) one of the issues being "reliability".

"You know, with batteries, you know, just making sure that they're you know, completely fire resistant, I mean, you know, that's still a CONCERN".

Where is the /facepalm Emohi here? This :rolleyes: will do for now.

Yes, you, dear reader, just like me, and that genius on Yahoo Finance, allow our loved ones to purchase, lease, or simply to just flat-out ride in vehicles today and yesteryear ONLY if and when we are COMPLETELY CERTAIN their guts are completely fire resistant!!! Until battery-powered EVs are too, I am telling you, a lot of the public out there (very smart people, the best people, tremendous people) will not make the switch.

Oh and yes, the title of said clip on Yahoo Finance is "GM looks to outpace Tesla with battery technology.":confused:

I believe you are talking about Rick Newman ... he is such a clown... he was a big time cheerleader last year for all the OEMs ...
TESLA KILLERS

oooh look out Tesla the competition is coming to eat your lunch ... I guess since that never materialized he is back to talking about all the battery fires :rolleyes:.. what a tool !!!

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I like it - deliver Model Y's without a delivery event! Totally casual. Nothing for the media to see here. Don't want to drum up more interest, that will just increase the order backlog and increase wait times too far into the future.

If that's not giving the middle finger to the media and naysayers, I don't know what is! :D

You know what I really like about it, it's cheap. No need to spend a bunch of money on a silly event. Just get the cars out.

link?
This market is hilarious.

Day 1 "OMG stonks down virus!"
Day 2 "OMG stonks cheap go buy"
Day 3 *go to Day 1

It's not bad at all. With incentives it's quoting $5.60 per square foot for the solar roof. A cheap asphalt roof is in the $2-$4 range I believe. If I thought I'd be in my house for more than 5 years I'd probably be reserving today. Being in Kansas I'm not confident that my home value would increase enough to offset the cost. Home values generally being 1/2 or less than in expensive markets also contributes to this.

If these roofs work correctly and they can ramp production, this will bring in lots of money. Third row just shared one on Twitter and it's gorgeous. The ROI isn't super high but the ROI on a regular roof is almost zero.

I am getting my roof replace right now and for GAF Architectural shingles I am paying $3.23 per sq.ft. and they are charging me $3200 to remove and reinstall my 16 solar panels.

Elon is becoming older, wiser, more experienced, less idealistic, more realistic. The only reason he relented is that he wants to win this game he is in. And he wants to win badly.

I love a man on a mission!
The difference is, he doesn't necessarily want to beat the other auto manufacturers, he wants to reduce the growth of climate change (and go to Mars) by increasing the use of electrically powered cars and renewable energy. It's great to be the leader, but that's not the mission.

That being said, I feel very very good having Elon in the driver's seat going forward!

Also, they'll want to make sure that they get a UAW endorsement when they run for reelection. Gotta do well in Michigan. California? Meh, it goes blue either way.

(Unrelated, and left with no comment and no need to reply: 11-03-20 14:00 ;) )

I wonder if Tesla would deliver the model Y's early just to spite you? :p

Oh wow, not until November? I'm so sorry.

You forgot the tongue-in-cheek emoji! Almost mistook you for a dumb american there! :p