Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is it about social distancing that it so hard to understand? It does not matter about the age of the person. 6' distance minimum, Wash your hands after every contact of any surface that anyone else can touch. Don't touch your face. Stay at home unless you are critical health care and/or safety worker. Otherwise you are adding to the outbreak and severity of the virus. Stay at home. Save lives. Stay at home. Save lives.
If you look at S Korea, they did not implement lockdown, and they were able to contain the spread very effectively. In place of lockdown, they started testing everyone from the very beginning and selectively isolated those that are infected.
The western world, including USA, did not take the virus seriously for a long time until it was out of control.

If you look at S Korea, they did not implement lockdown, and they were able to contain the spread very effectively. In place of lockdown, they started testing everyone from the very beginning and selectively isolated those that are infected.
The western world, including USA, did not take the virus seriously for a long time until it was out of control.

I believe that the other big thing they did was produce lots of masks early, and nearly everyone is wearing them, whether sick or not. I think I got this from one of Dave Lee's latest videos.

A Unpleasant Macroview:

1. guys/gals, I know this is a TSLA board but sometimes things are much larger than TSLA ,...this is a big picture post...I know many people think this is all about Corona but that was just the impetus but not the true cause for what's about to happen...you will see things that you couldn't even imagine over the next 6-18 months...this is about deflating the biggest credit/debt bubble in human history.

Bond mkt's gave defcon warnings months ago...I know people think the Fed's control the interest rates but they don't...they just react and follow 3 month treasuries yields if you graph this out its clear as day.

2. I was harping about Nasdaq 7300 for weeks on this board cause that was the potential stopping point for a int term bottom...when i see levels on charts get broken, I see recessions, another level breaks I see unemployment rates sky rocketing, another level i see a full on depression...unfortunately I see odds fairly high for a depression now...something we haven't seen in our lifetimes...wish this thing was just going to be a severe recession but I dont think this is the case now.

3. We have never had a systemic shut down of most businesses before...2008 was about the banks deleveraging and real estate imploding right before that...this is about deleveraging everyone and their grandmother this time...the Feds can barely put a bandaid on this wound but can't stop this avalanche ...during bears like this sure every stimulus will cause a gap up and rise for few days but then reality sets and the selling will resume.

GDP will shrink 25-30% next quarter, something that has never happened in modern times....unemployment may hit 20-25% within next 3 months...during 2008 when things were so bad unemployment prob only got to 10-12%....think about this for a moment.

4. I see SPX heading towards 1900 level and this doesn't hold(not likely to hold), that will confirm the depression scenario in my mind and we will head towards 1100-1300...if this happens, life will change as you know it.

-when pensions implode retired teachers, cops, fireman will protest hand to hand angry about the broken promises...many will go back to work
-many many small business will go out of business...yes the govt will try to bail out many businesses as they can but they can't bail everyone out...there are 100K's of small businesses that were barely making it during the good times.
-the larger sectors with paid lobbiests(airlines, Boeing, hotels, cruise lines) will get their money, but smaller businesses are not in this club
-food lines will be seen
-protests in the streets will be common place...the military will be involved unfortunately...govt of new york already calling for a military presence cause he knows what's coming.

Why do I say all this?...not to be over dramatic or to be fear mongerer, but everyone needs to hunker down and get ready for something they have never seen before ...the people that will be critical of this type of post are people who are not prepared or not ready to try to prepare...yes this is anxiety provoking...to try to just avoid these realities will be a very costly mistake.

I think this tragedy will bring people together as people who are doing well will need to help out family members and friends.

Could the govt have prevented this?...maybe yes, but now its too late...if we would have adopted Singapores corona policy where everyone wears a mask and abides by social distancing rules, then we wouldn't have needed to shut down the economy like this leading to probable depression...businesses could have stayed open imho...many will say there are no N95 masks hence we cant...thats BS...Elon just made 250K N95 masks over the past week...this is warfare and many factories could be making N95 masks and gloves...this would stop the virus if everyone abided by these rules...look at the rates of Corona in Singapore and Hong Kong....why go to lockdown or SIP when people could wear masks and gloves???...there will be huge irreversible repercussions to shutting down towns for weeks to months.

But in the US we(govt) didn't take it seriously fast enough, we didnt have tests available fast enough or in enough quantity...even today hospital workers will prob die cause they prohibit med workers in hospitals from wearing masks!...we only test people who need to be admitted and the 80% of the people with corona told to stay home and not come into the med clinics ...hence whatever number the news claims you have to multiply by at least 20!...I hope we are not italy where if your over 65 or have other underlying disease, they will not tube you and save you...you will be left to die if you get ARDS.

Yes what the Fed will do is inflationary but that pales in comparison to the loss of wealth/equity from mom and pop so overall, we are headed into a deflationary environment.

I hope I am dead wrong about all of this...final point, I would mentally prepare for something really ugly and frightening cause this isn't just another recession that I am certain of.

Secretary Steve Mnuchin said earlier today the goal is to have it passed by Monday, but everything is very fluid so I am not sure if he still stands by the statement.

Sadly, the hardening of both parties through a preeminent makeup of hard left and right make a deal much more difficult to attain.

These are not the Tip O’Neill-President Reagan days where a deal would be cut to benefit all constituents (big business, small business, workers).

I am not optimistic of a quick deal to get money in the hands of needy Americans.

A Unpleasant Macroview:

1. guys/gals, I know this is a TSLA board but sometimes things are much larger than TSLA ,...this is a big picture post...I know many people think this is all about Corona but that was just the impetus but not the true cause for what's about to happen...you will see things that you couldn't even imagine over the next 6-18 months...this is about deflating the biggest credit/debt bubble in human history.

Bond mkt's gave defcon warnings months ago...I know people think the Fed's control the interest rates but they don't...they just react and follow 3 month treasuries yields if you graph this out its clear as day.

2. I was harping about Nasdaq 7300 for weeks on this board cause that was the potential stopping point for a int term bottom...when i see levels on charts get broken, I see recessions, another level breaks I see unemployment rates sky rocketing, another level i see a full on depression...unfortunately I see odds fairly high for a depression now...something we haven't seen in our lifetimes...wish this thing was just going to be a severe recession but I dont think this is the case now.

3. We have never had a systemic shut down of most businesses before...2008 was about the banks deleveraging and real estate imploding right before that...this is about deleveraging everyone and their grandmother this time...the Feds can barely put a bandaid on this wound but can't stop this avalanche ...during bears like this sure every stimulus will cause a gap up and rise for few days but then reality sets and the selling will resume.

GDP will shrink 25-30% next quarter, something that has never happened in modern times....unemployment may hit 20-25% within next 3 months...during 2008 when things were so bad unemployment prob only got to 10-12%....think about this for a moment.

4. I see SPX heading towards 1900 level and this doesn't hold(not likely to hold), that will confirm the depression scenario in my mind and we will head towards 1100-1300...if this happens, life will change as you know it.

-when pensions implode retired teachers, cops, fireman will protest hand to hand angry about the broken promises...many will go back to work
-many many small business will go out of business...yes the govt will try to bail out many businesses as they can but they can't bail everyone out...there are 100K's of small businesses that were barely making it during the good times.
-the larger sectors with paid lobbiests(airlines, Boeing, hotels, cruise lines) will get their money, but smaller businesses are not in this club
-food lines will be seen
-protests in the streets will be common place...the military will be involved unfortunately...govt of new york already calling for a military presence cause he knows what's coming.

Why do I say all this?...not to be over dramatic or to be fear mongerer, but everyone needs to hunker down and get ready for something they have never seen before ...the people that will be critical of this type of post are people who are not prepared or not ready to try to prepare...yes this is anxiety provoking...to try to just avoid these realities will be a very costly mistake.

I think this tragedy will bring people together as people who are doing well will need to help out family members and friends.

Could the govt have prevented this?...maybe yes, but now its too late...if we would have adopted Singapores corona policy where everyone wears a mask and abides by social distancing rules, then we wouldn't have needed to shut down the economy like this leading to probable depression...businesses could have stayed open imho...many will say there are no N95 masks hence we cant...thats BS...Elon just made 250K N95 masks over the past week...this is warfare and many factories could be making N95 masks and gloves...this would stop the virus if everyone abided by these rules...look at the rates of Corona in Singapore and Hong Kong....why go to lockdown or SIP when people could wear masks and gloves???...there will be huge irreversible repercussions to shutting down towns for weeks to months.

But in the US we(govt) didn't take it seriously fast enough, we didnt have tests available fast enough or in enough quantity...even today hospital workers will prob die cause they prohibit med workers in hospitals from wearing masks!...we only test people who need to be admitted and the 80% of the people with corona told to stay home and not come into the med clinics ...hence whatever number the news claims you have to multiply by at least 20!...I hope we are not italy where if your over 65 or have other underlying disease, they will not tube you and save you...you will be left to die if you get ARDS.

Yes what the Fed will do is inflationary but that pales in comparison to the loss of wealth/equity from mom and pop so overall, we are headed into a deflationary environment.

I hope I am dead wrong about all of this...final point, I would mentally prepare for something really ugly and frightening cause this isn't just another recession that I am certain of.

Soooo what's stopping people from going back to work with N95 masks? I mean based on what you are saying, we are one big shipment of N95 masks from going back to work.

Elon didn't make the masks btw, they were probably overstock because the masks were from 3M.

A Unpleasant Macroview:

Musk just endorsed a plan by John Cleese:

"I'm not advocating uncontrolled panicking. If you panic for more than a couple of hours, you will exhaust yourself and you may well not have to energy to panic later, when you really feel you have to So try about 20 minutes panicking at 11.00 am, and then another spell at 6.00pm"

Soooo what's stopping people from going back to work with N95 masks? I mean based on what you are saying, we are one big shipment of N95 masks from going back to work.

Elon didn't make the masks btw, they were probably overstock because the masks were from 3M.

Seriously :rolleyes:. I'm not going to respond to that post because "you will see things that you couldn't even imagine over the next 6-18 months...this is about deflating the biggest credit/debt bubble in human history" is ridiculous. In the matter of months, we could make enough masks to start providing masks to every employer to get at least some of the workforce active again. Will it be weird to be served food by someone with masks and gloves. on? Sure. But you will be served food.

A Unpleasant Macroview:

-food lines will be seen

While I am sure this post is genuine and well meaning, the problem I have with "wall of worry" posts is the following.:-

What solution are you suggesting?

If you are telling people to panic, there are already plenty of people panicking

People with high levels of debt and an uncertain employment future should consider selling assets.. but the cost of servicing debt is low, everyone should get proper advice and do their own homework.

IMO don't sell everything at the bottom or a low prices if you don't have to... at least you should think carefully about what you do sell and why.

You are right about retirement incomes, but if that money is gone it is very unfortunate, but there is nothing any of us here can do about it.

So think before you jump, I'm certain panic doesn't aid rational decision making, it is best to be rational, especially when rational people are in the minority.

I'm sure life will change and every day will be different, life is always changing and every day is unique.

There was never a guarantee life would be easy for ever, but it is easier when you make rational decisions and only panic when you really need to panic.

A Unpleasant Macroview:

-food lines will be seen

Are you writing this stuff from your bunker? In your opinion how's this going to affect TSLA? Should I dump all of my shares now before it's too late?

Last edited:
...you will see things that you couldn't even imagine over the next 6-18 months...

China is getting back to work... after 2 months, not 6-18. Flu season is ending. Like other flu-like viruses (over 200 exist), Corona doesn't like heat and humidity.

A certain genius you may have heard of predicts the US infection curve will be similar to China's:
Elon Musk @elonmusk
Based on current trends, probably close to zero new cases in US too by end of April
2:38 PM · Mar 19, 2020
Elon Musk on Twitter

Maybe you don't want "to be over dramatic or to be fear mongerer", but you are.

China is getting back to work... after 2 months, not 6-18. Flu season is ending. Like other flu-like viruses (over 200 exist), Corona doesn't like heat and humidity.

A certain genius you may have heard of predicts the US infection curve will be similar to China's:
Elon Musk @elonmusk
Based on current trends, probably close to zero new cases in US too by end of April
2:38 PM · Mar 19, 2020
Elon Musk on Twitter

Maybe you don't want "to be over dramatic or to be fear mongerer", but you are.
The only way US cases can be like China is if US implements the national lockdown and quarantine China did. And China was literally enforcing stay at home, except 1 family member can leave every 3 days to buy food. Drones flew overhead everywhere to enforce it, if you were outside your house on a day you weren't designated to buy food you were subject to arrest. Travel between cities was entirely banned, everything was closed except supermarkets and pharmacies.

I don't think anyone here understands what China did. Thinking we can have the same curve as China is absolutely foolish without knowing what China did to get there.

A Unpleasant Macroview:

-food lines will be seen

I am thinking the same way you have, regarding to the Masks part

which one is easier and more effective? Spend billions of dollars to produce masks and force everybody to wear, and keep the economic activities, or spend Trillions of dollars to support businesses away from bankruptcy but shut them down, and hope the Coronavirus to go away miracles?

at the beginning of the spread, many Asians here in US started to wear masks but soon gave up, because of the society think them are weird, exaggerating, or are already infected.

This is the failure of both the President and the whole society, but I blamed e president because he was supposed to be th where to guide the ignorant people.

Reactions: Lessmog
A Unpleasant Macroview:

-food lines will be seen

See, this is where we need someone like FactChecking, to counter pessimistic, doomsday scenario posts like this one. Yes, GDP may go down by 24% in Q2 but will go up 12% in Q3 and 10% in Q4. At least according Goldman Sachs:

Q1: -6%
Q2: -24%
Q3: +12%
Q4: +10%
2020: -3.1%

It’s easy to spread doom and gloom when you only quote the 24% down and just forget to mention the recovery.

The truth is: nobody knows how this will unfold. According to our president, we will quickly bounce back and even come back stronger. While I believe he is a bit overly optimistic, this is not gonna end in a depression that last for years.

The only way US cases can be like China is if US implements the national lockdown and quarantine China did. And China was literally enforcing stay at home, except 1 family member can leave every 3 days to buy food. Drones flew overhead everywhere to enforce it, if you were outside your house on a day you weren't designated to buy food you were subject to arrest. Travel between cities was entirely banned, everything was closed except supermarkets and pharmacies.

I don't think anyone here understands what China did. Thinking we can have the same curve as China is absolutely foolish without knowing what China did to get there.
A) Korea didn't have one mandatory lockdown and slowed/stopped the spread more efficiently than China.

B) TAKE THIS NONSENSE TO THE CORONAVIRUS THREAD.

Last edited: