Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not surprising at this point. Hopefully Tesla will be allowed to get back up and running, but the consequences economically could be big. Have to imagine similar shutdowns will have to happen across the country.

Tesla closed production because suppliers were not meeting the orders. Opening the production line will require all suppliers are back to work. Hard to see if this is possible without Tesla commenting on it.

The action here at the close and into after hours looks very suspicious to me. You’d expect a bigger recovering based on the volume of the green bars (disclaimer: E*Trade doesn’t provide the best of graphs)

E35F988F-4FDF-4998-B457-5D6BCB94D5EE.jpeg

Tesla closed production because suppliers were not meeting the orders. Opening the production line will require all suppliers are back to work. Hard to see if this is possible without Tesla commenting on it.

Tesla Fremont factory isn't closed because of the order.

I know. But it might be a harbinger for difficulties in other areas of the country / world. Maybe not. Hopefully not.

But that's just the production component. Again I think folks here are vastly underestimating the potential hit on demand this upcoming recession is going to take.

Tesla is better, but not fundamentally different from other Auto companies.

Coronavirus drives U.S. March auto sales off a cliff

Car buying in April is going to plummet.

After people are back to work around the globe, demand will come back month by month, but it may take a while (3, 6 months?).

Remember I was always noting how Model Y was underhyped to reduce hurting of Model 3 (maybe S/X too). This was intentional. So fear of Model 3 drop in sales / ASP was real, even before any COVID recession issues.

It's mindboggling to think that demand is not going to be significantly affected.

There are estimates that EV sales will approach 8-9 million a year by 2025. If Tesla has a demand problem with 400-500k cars a year now, EVs are not the future.

Demand for EVs, ICE vehicles, vacation trips and many many products will have major demand issues this year.
You can’t extrapolate from one year with a pandemic and the associated global economic slowdown with which products will and won’t be “the future”.

Medium is an open blogging platform that anyone can post to. The author here cites no scientific study, just conjecture. I can post a hundred SeekingAlpha articles with charts and graphs proving Tesla is doomed - did you read this article with the same skepticism that you would them? If not, it's worth asking yourself why.

The entire country of South Korea believes that fans left on overnight kill people. There are plenty of blog posts to support this, and fans in South Korea are legally required to have timers that automatically switch them off to protect people. There is no science to back this either.

Man, I don't know when we've become so lazy.

There's a trend that I've been noticing lately. When I state something I read and says that the result is certain outcome. So many people asks for a link or just says that the proof is not credible because it is from such and such website.

If you only bothering googling it (and I am just pulling it out my behind here) "Scientific studies on effectiveness of masks for protection against influenza". You'd find numerous studies that are done according to PHD standards with peer reviews. In fact I know this to be true because I did exactly this when people didn't believe me at the beginning of the outbreak.

Now this is not a post about COVID19. This is a post about ppl being lazy. Especially recently. It might be due us being pampered by people like Fact Checking who always provide perfectly reasoned post with links to various research. But seriously, it is up to each individual to research claims and to choose who to believe. People who provide more research and links might be easier to believe because it doesn't take effort to verify, but the biggest profits are from statements that are hard to verify. Do your own due diligence. Because ultimately, your investment decision should be your own choice to make.

After people are back to work around the globe, demand will come back month by month, but it may take a while (3, 6 months?).

China is already back to work, 2 months after lockdowns began there in Wuhan. Tesla's Wuhan store reopened today.
Tesla reopens Wuhan store as China regains footing after COVID-19 outbreak

USA sheltering in place began 2 weeks ago. Your guess of 3-6 months more to go seems unlikely.

It's mindboggling to think that demand is not going to be significantly affected.

Depends how you define "significant." Enough to affect TSLA traders looking for any excuse to sell or delay buying? Of course. Enough to affect buy-and-hold investors? No.

Last edited:
China is already back to work, 2 months after lockdowns began there in Wuhan. Tesla's Wuhan store reopened today.

USA sheltering in place began 2 weeks ago. Your guess of 3-6 months more to go seems unlikely.

While nobody knows how long this will last, it's misleading to compare any other place to Wuhan. People were basically nailed to their flats for weeks in Wuhan. There was a period when it wasn't allowed to leave home at all. All food was delivered by three express services (China post, JD express, SF express) operating during the lockdown. There is no comparable lockdown currently even in Spain or Italy, let alone US.

European or US version of lockdown might work too, but measures taken in Wuhan were completely next level.

Is that tesla Q1 delivery?
Elon Musk on Twitter

In all seriousness, I think Elon is a fan of S-curves (especially as they pertain to technological innovation). The image shows exponential graphs, but his text is "Logarithm graphs coming soon" which means he's expecting the top-half of the S-curve to arrive shortly for infections.

BF-AN227_CARSAL_16U_20170104180605.jpg
?

You can't just ignore the temporary effects of a recession just cuz you want to.

Prior to corona, let's say Tesla has worldwide S3XY demand of 750,000 a year. The corona has hit, and we can estimate a 40% drop in demand (a lot). That's still over 400k a year of demand.

I'm not saying that Tesla is safe, but it's definitely safer than a lot of OEMs.

Depends how you define "significant." Enough to affect TSLA traders looking for any excuse to sell or delay buying? Of course. Enough to affect buy-and-hold investors? No.

So car sales there are back to normal?

While nobody knows how long this will last, it's misleading to compare any other place to Wuhan. People were basically nailed to their flats for weeks in Wuhan. There was a period when it wasn't allowed to leave home at all. All food was delivered by three express services (China post, JD express, SF express) operating during the lockdown. There is no comparable lockdown currently even in Spain or Italy, let alone US.

European or US version of lockdown might work too, but measures taken in Wuhan were completely next level.

European and US versions are already working. We know more about the virus than China did two months ago, so we don't need to duplicate the measures they took because they were hit first.

Last edited:
European and US versions are already working. We know more about the virus than China did two months ago, so we don't need to duplicate the measures they took because they were hit first.

I hope so too, but it's far from clear.

Europe (and probably US too) are seeing a decrease in cases, but I cannot see numbers going to zero anytime soon. Wuhan has had zero domestic cases recently. We don't know yet what happens in Europe&US if cases are above zero and quarantine measures are loosened.