Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was just looking into this. I dislike it. I doubt it will effect Tesla much but the OEM's will be allowed to cling to dear life for a bit longer.....
https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi?Dockey=P100V26H.pdf

A few excerpts and I bolded some below:

"Manufacturer Impacts
Reduced regulatory costs and burdens.
Increased new vehicle sales.
•$252.6 billion reduction in regulatory costs through MY 2029.
•1 million additional new vehicle sales through MY 2029.
•Reduction from 56% to 3% in the percentage of hybrid vehicles needed to comply in MY 2030.
•37.0 mpg projected overall industry average required fuel economy in MYs 2021-2026, compared to 46.7 mpg projected requirement in MY 2025 under standards issued in 2012

2- 3% increase in daily fuel consumption
About 0.5 million barrels per day increase in fuel consumption

rest of info here - The Safer Affordable Fuel Efficient (SAFE) Vehicles Proposed Rule for Model Years 2021-2026 | US EPA
Are we also going to get back asbestos and lead paint ?

Well S**T! I've been stuck indoors for so long that I thought yesterday was the end of Mar!

My apologies to the forum for being ... words fail to even describe how utterly dumb this mistake was!
Didn't you know? You can use your knuckles to figure out which months have 31 days. [ducks]

"Manufacturer Impacts
Reduced regulatory costs and burdens.
Increased new vehicle sales.
I mean technically we could apply a carbon footprint to that regulatory process.

Either way it's a silly conversation because California and Europe can just keep the bar high in the courts until the EV transition is infull swing. That's about 3 years?

In the long run, companies designing cars purely for the US market are likely to die out anyway. Why design cars that can only be sold in the US, when every other company is designing cars for the global market?
Its like passing a law saying companies are allowed to continue making typewriters. Cute sure, but totally and utterly irrelevant in 2020.

I think many people outside of this forum with little knowledge of Tesla and EVs haven't realised the following:-
  • EV Adoption is an exponential S Curve
  • EV Production is an exponential S Cruve
  • EV and battery price declines are exponential.
In addition Tesla are doing all they can to speed up the process throwing lots of money, R&D and effort at the task..

Coronavirus should have taught people you can't ignore exponential growth.

No doubt Trump is just looking after the interests of his backers as he see it.

But allowing GM and Ford to "go slow" on EV adoption means more market share for Tesla, Chinese EV makers and VW.

I don't think the general public and other car makers will fully understand this until after Battery Investor Day.

IMO GM and Ford are already worried and Battery Investor Day will make them more worried and accelerate their plans.. Trump's policy will be totally irrelevant in 6 months, and he will not win the legal battles in 6 months.

Short term price movements are subject to manipulation and not always logical, the long term "big picture" is easy to understand, totally rational and beyond manipulation.

The CAFE repeal is insanely bullish. Manufacturers will be less compelled to produce electric cars. Not like they would sell well anyway. The next 10 years will be interesting
Isn't it irrelevant? "People don't want electric cars, they want Tesla's." We should welcome more BEV's, not less, I have zero concerns over "tesla killers".
I hope Elon sees this as slowing down the transition to electric (this is what I see) and doubles down on production. Seems we're going to have to do this alone. Mediocre BEV offerings from OEM's would be better than this outcome of incentivized ICE production. Better for our planet, our health, at least.

Other topics, so the factset consensus for Q1 2020 is 97,000? hrm. Tough for a big surprise win there. Would be really good to meet that number.

Reactions: abasile
The auto sales ndustry here in NZ has completely stalled since going into lockdown - auto loans were down 93% last week, with the 7% remaining mostly from car buyers having purchases arranged before the lockdown started.

Now the debate locally is about how much is demand deferred vs demand gone.

The auto sales ndustry here in NZ has completely stalled since going into lockdown - auto loans were down 93% last week, with the 7% remaining mostly from car buyers having purchases arranged before the lockdown started.

Now the debate locally is about how much is demand deferred vs demand gone.

Not unexpected and it will not change substantially until after the lockdown ends.

Demand gone = driving the old car for a few more years = more likely to buy an EV

A combination of good luck, great build quality and good management kept my old ICE going to for 18 years until I could get a Tesla.
Even I was getting worried towards the end, an old ICE car is a ticking time bomb.

Reactions: jw934
Isn't it irrelevant? "People don't want electric cars, they want Tesla's." We should welcome more BEV's, not less, I have zero concerns over "tesla killers".
I hope Elon sees this as slowing down the transition to electric (this is what I see) and doubles down on production. Seems we're going to have to do this alone. Mediocre BEV offerings from OEM's would be better than this outcome of incentivized ICE production. Better for our planet, our health, at least.

Other topics, so the factset consensus for Q1 2020 is 97,000? hrm. Tough for a big surprise win there. Would be really good to meet that number.
China has committed to EV and Europe is moving towards EVs. We all want more EVs, but US auto manufacturers are not the only ones making cars, and I would also like to see more EVs be they Porsche or BYD...

Reactions: Ameliorate

Where did this 97,000 factset consensus come from anyways? I don't think even the bulls are expecting numbers this high at this point. Is this just a bait to predict a crazy high number, then spread FUD that Tesla did not meet expectations?

This only matters if you are a day trader. If you believe in Tesla’s future, you simply buy and hold for x years. Do you think Ron Baron and Baillie Gifford obsess over the market makers every single day? Stocks don’t go up in a straight line. End of story. Stop pulling your hair out with this insane conspiracy theory that market makers are going to cause Tesla damage. They sure didn’t cause Tesla damage when Elon raised capital at $767, which was a very generous valuation
Again, you've asked a question, then ignored the answer. You asked 'what does it matter in the long run?'

The answer is for every 'Tesla' that successfully crosses the Wall St. "Valley of Death", there are a hundred or more that die trying. Why do you think Tesla is the lone mover in sustainable transport? The others are actively undermined by Wall St. short sellers. Why does China (with no state-sponsored short selling) have a growing EV industry?

Educating the uninformed is not 'hair pulling'. Conversely, sticking your head in the sand is asking to have your tail feathers *fluffed*.

BTW, the next time you use the phrase 'insane conspiracy theory', try to do so in a less obviously disengenous arguement. Look at what Market Makers are doing in S. Korea since short selling was banned on Mar 13. Due to their version of the MMs exemption, the volume of short selling has not decreased at all in S. Korean markets:

Short Selling Not Decreasing Despite Ban

That's actual data which shows who is conducting short selling: its the Market Makers. Through comparison, that shows the insanity of SEC rules, or rather belief that they have any effect whatsoever beyond providing legal cover and PR talking points.

Top%2BModels.jpg

Top%2BBrands.jpg

EV Sales: Global Top 20 February 2020