Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sorry but with Norway/Netherlands at about 30% of Q1 2019 (7k less deliveries) and Spain/Italy and certainly others not doing record numbers there has to be a significant inventory left here in Europe. If any other country has had year over year gains of thousands of cars delivered we would have heard of it.

They supposedly sent 7 ships this Q1 compared to 6 ships Q1 2019.

I'ld guesstimate somewhere between 5-10k cars not delivered in Europe in Q1. Some of these will be delivered in April
Umm, England?

Wasn't most of the "demand" problem last year attributed to the difficulties of expanding Model 3 distribution globally?
I think it was 2 factors, the biggest being getting the global supply chain started. That probably shifted 10,000 cars to Q2. The second factor was the rush to maximize US deliveries and get the full $7500 tax credit. That probably shifted demand from Q1 2019 to Q4 2018. Neither of those issues affect Tesla in Q1 2020 and we have tailwind from new MIC Model 3, and headwind of losing about one week of Q1 production from Fremont. My Troy estimate is 93,000 deliveries, but I think this may be optimistic. I do think that over 90,000 deliveries will be very close to break even for profits, depending on how much inventory is on hand. I'd guess inventory will be up at least 10,000 cars (production over deliveries) for the quarter and a significant chance of 15,000 or more.
I would guess that Tesla will shift a second Model 3 line to the Y by the time the plant is fully reopened. That will allow Fremont deliveries to decline, but ASP to increase. Improved pricing power and growing MIC Model 3 deliveries could allow Tesla to break even in Q2 or better. I would also expect VW, Ford, GM, BMW and Mercedes to post horrible results for Q1 and Q2 and losses will be disastrous, even if we bounce back by Q3, they will all be hamstrunqg and forced to cut back R&D & new development. In the meantime, Tesla will have doubled Shangha and on track to start phase 2 in Q4/Q1 MIC Model Y, Berlin GF will be on track for phase 1 MIG Model Y and likely an Austin plant starting up to build the Cyber truck. Assuming we're not all doomed by this virus and we bounce back in the second half of the year, I don't see how Tesla leaves 2020 at less then a 750,000 production rate.
I've been a worrier about C19 since January and still think Q2 could go in any direction. If the Bay area stabilizes and Elon can ramp up ventilators and get some enhanced safety protocols in place, I think the plant should be running at 50-100% of capacity by mid April. I think the ventilators are obviously critical and give him some negotiating power and credibility as a required service. I'd like to see if they can use the seat factory to make some PPE materials as well, or make a high quality glass face shield that can be reused. Face shields can extend the life of face masks and provide eye protection that can be a higher contagion vector point than the nose and mouth (for getting infected, not giving infection).
I read that VW is losing about 2 billion a week. Wonder how much the rest of the industry is losing, versus Tesla, which can cut back much faster.

Well, tomorrow is already next quarter, so that one car does not improve numbers for Q1. If many others are upgraded, that might move the needle a bit ;)

Well exactly - that is my point. :) He might be the first in Europe for all I know. But he will not be the last. I'm not into the details around FSD finances - but finally upgrading us old European FSD buyers could perhaps enable Tesla to move some FSD money around in Q2?

And if not - they will get my $$$ when it's my turn so that I can exchange the old MCU1 for a MCU2. I assume my $$$ include some profit.

Donald J. Trump on Twitter

"My proposal to the politically correct Automobile Companies would lower the average price of a car to consumers by more than $3500, while at the same time making the cars substantially safer. Engines would run smoother. Positive impact on the environment! Foolish executives!"

Politically correct Automobile Company... What is that exactly?

The point being, 60% short selling volume does not mean 60% of shares sold were shorted. Or that 60% of sales were at the bid. It means 60% of the volume of shares in blocks had at least one short transaction in them. If the blocks are 10 transactions (of all equal size), that gives a range of 6%-60% actual short activity.

I suspect that TSLA is benefiting today from end of quarter window dressing. That's the tendency of money managers to load up on the quarter's winning stocks and sell losers, so that the snapshot of their holdings at quarter's end makes them appear to have been smart all quarter long. TSLA shares are nicely up for the quarter, while the overall market is well down.

The rebalancing this quarter is enhanced by fund managers who need to match their prospectuses' requirements to own a certain percentage worth of stocks relative to fixed income investments. Due to the large drop this quarter in the overall prices of stocks, many fund managers need to buy more stocks before the quarter ends. That may be causing the overall market to be performing better than it might have today.

As I've reported before, I sold all my TSLA shares on March 12 and bought a large portion back on March 24. Mid-morning today, I again sold my TSLA shares. Yesterday I sold my other stock and ETF holdings, so am flat for now. I'll wait for the dust to settle, as a healthy 74-year-old who nevertheless is remaining at home in self-quarantine.

So, you’re a trader now. ;)

"My proposal to the politically correct Automobile Companies would lower the average price of a car to consumers by more than $3500, while at the same time making the cars substantially safer. Engines would run smoother. Positive impact on the environment! Foolish executives!"

Was just looking into this. I dislike it. I doubt it will effect Tesla much but the OEM's will be allowed to cling to dear life for a bit longer.....
https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi?Dockey=P100V26H.pdf

A few excerpts and I bolded some below:

"Manufacturer Impacts
Reduced regulatory costs and burdens.
Increased new vehicle sales.
•$252.6 billion reduction in regulatory costs through MY 2029.
•1 million additional new vehicle sales through MY 2029.
•Reduction from 56% to 3% in the percentage of hybrid vehicles needed to comply in MY 2030.
•37.0 mpg projected overall industry average required fuel economy in MYs 2021-2026, compared to 46.7 mpg projected requirement in MY 2025 under standards issued in 2012

2- 3% increase in daily fuel consumption
About 0.5 million barrels per day increase in fuel consumption

rest of info here - The Safer Affordable Fuel Efficient (SAFE) Vehicles Proposed Rule for Model Years 2021-2026 | US EPA

The entire sentence makes no sense. OI at work.

Summarized version is,

"Do better for less OEMs!"

Basically, be cheaper than an EV, but with the EV performance and positive impact on the environment. You know, the impossible.
It sounds more like the summary is "I'm going to reduce regulatory costs and you don't have to make hybrids anymore, would be cool if you passed some of the savings (252 Billion) to the customers" :/

Summarized version is,

"Do better for less OEMs!"

Basically, be cheaper than an EV, but with the EV performance and positive impact on the environment. You know, the impossible.

The summarized version is actually: “Car companies don’t actually want me to roll back pollution standards which will benefit my fossil fuel donors and friends in Russia and Saudi Arabia and damage the Earth!”

It sounds more like the summary is "I'm going to reduce regulatory costs and you don't have to make hybrids anymore, would be cool if you passed some of the savings (252 Billion) to the customers" :/

Which gonna be funny to watch when nothing changes for Trump because automakers still have to abide by California's rule since California's economy practically dictates the regulations for the country because it's so large.

Trump will go after California in the courts.

Good luck :rolleyes: California will fight it and draw out the case longer than Trumps presidency...even if Trump were to get re-elected

Edit: When other states joini n the court case against Trump, it'll add even more years to the court case

Last edited:
Last edited: