Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Deferred tax credits cannot be realized unless Tesla is 'more likely than not' to be profitable going forward. This is clearly not the case before virus is gone.

I think Elon Musk and his financial guys are in a much better position to determine when ongoing profitability is "more likely than not". The criteria leave so much to subjectivity, especially with the types of businesses they are ramping, it's irrational to pretend like you have a handle on when they might decide to recognize the tax credits as revenue. Since the standard is 50/50 (more likely than not), even going into losses after they recognize the revenue will not be evidence that they recognized it too soon because no one can predict the future. If they follow the guidelines to the letter, there is essentially a 50/50% chance they will have recognized it before solid profitability actually happened. They might spring it when the market least expects it. :)

Reactions: junas
I think it's relevant in that if the bonus is added back to Q1's financials, it can help it get closer to profitability and even SP inclusion. If the stock price rallies hard because of this, it will cement in place the $100B tranche bonus and maybe even the next tranche. At this point it's almost financial engineering.

You beat me to the response, and articulated the question much better.
That is exactly what I am asking, does this bring us closer to profitability for 1Q2020 and hopefully SP500 inclusion?

Oh, I am not questioning his pay in any way - he deserves every single penny, share and then some.

In 4Q2019 - as the market cap went above 100B, Tesla had to show a certain tranche of shares allotted to his compensation on their earnings. He doesn't get those for a while (average of 6months where market cap is >100B), and even if he does, he won't sell any. But for accounting this in effect went into expenses column reducing the GAAP profit shown in their earnings. Since we are talking about GAAP profit possibility for 1Q2020, my question is if those are still in 'expense' account or are taken off now just from accounting point of view?

I see your point now. I had forgotten that share-based compensation was considered in GAAP earnings. And I just threw that in there that he's worth every share he's granted as a side note.

Tomorrow's ceiling is more like $650 than $550.
Yes, the Upper-BB should open tomorrow near the 50-Day Moving Average MA(50) $650.44

sc.TSLA.50-DayChart.2020-04-02.20-00.png

So I won't be surprised to see a runup to those levels, followed by the usual 'macro-boosted' shorting.

Cheers!

Tesla Giga 3 Shanghai Model 3 Is The Only Highlight Of China’s Car Sales In March

According to Tesmanian, Tesla sold 3,900 M3s in China in March, which is much less than I'd have expected out of China considering the reports of 6.5k produced in Jan + Feb, and likely 6-9k produced in March.

Adding up all the numbers, Tesmanian says Tesla sold 9,367 M3s in China.

It's unclear whether these numbers are exclusively MiC M3s or include imported M3s as well.

Also oil is at $20-25.
The other auto companies are offering 72 months 0 interest loans, Tesla has yet to announce a “deal” on their vehicles.

obviously Tesla is much younger, but only the strong will survive this. Tesla is still chipping away at the market

Per normal, the other companies have ~70 days worth of stock at the old selling rate.

Tesla has ~2 weeks of inventory which is high for the start of a quarter.

Money is extremely cheap right now.

The Fed is stuffing liquidity down bank/corporate throats.

Reactions: Mike Ambler
Do cars sitting on Ford dealer lots count as sold, or do they remain in Ford's inventory fleet until sold?

For accounting purposes they are sold.

The traditional car companies report "sales" and "inventory."

"Inventory" is what is in transit and on dealer lots.

A car is reported sold and counts as a "sale" on public sales reports once the vehicle is titled.

Question/comment.

I looked at the past 20 or so posts of the great and wonderful @Papafox.

It seems that if you bought TSLA at 9:45am and sold it at 11:30am you would be in the green a large majority of the time.

Anyone else notice this?
Is there any kind of online tool I can use to verify these patterns?
Am I the last person here to notice this?
Am I wrong or is there something I’m not seeing?
Is this the kind of thing I’m supposed to keep to myself?
Can I quit my day job now? lol

Best,
Gene

PS...and what causes those early morning dips anyways?

Last edited:
My accountant told me it couldn't be carried forward after the tax credit expired. Which was true at the time. And, according to info here, still true...
So then why did you say:
My tax accountant told me the solar and EV tax credits must be used in the tax year they are earned (cannot be rolled forward to future years).
? You slandered your accountant and mislead people on this forum.

Question/comment.

I looked at the past 20 or so posts of the great and wonderful @Papafox.

It seems that if you bought TSLA at 9:45am and sold it at 11:30am you would be in the green a large majority of the time.

Anyone else notice this?
Is there any kind of online tool I can use to verify these patterns?
Am I the last person here to notice this?
Am I wrong or is there something I’m not seeing?
Is this the kind of thing I’m supposed to keep to myself?
Can I quit my day job now? lol

Best,
Gene

PS...and what causes those early morning dips anyways?
Well now I know what time to sell my calls tmrw :)

Please, I haven't eaten yet! :p

A Tesla Skeptic Lays It On The (Bottom) Line - AAH #503 LIVE (1:19:36)

I think this has been covered before but I can’t remember. Montana Skeptic is saying the order book for model Y is dried up cause people with RWD can now get there cars when it was supposed to be only AWD models being produced first. What’s the reason for this?

Montana Skeptic is saying the order book for model Y is dried up cause people with RWD can now get there cars when it was supposed to be only AWD models being produced first. What’s the reason for this?

All because of that stupid Electrek article about Tesla contacting RWD Y orders to get ready for delivery. Totally false. Tesla has not contacted RWD Y orders about delivery whatsoever.

All because of that stupid Electrek article about Tesla contacting RWD Y orders to get ready for delivery. Totally false. Tesla has not contacted RWD Y orders about delivery whatsoever.
Tesla has contacted people about AWD which implies smaller number of performance MY orders but I wouldn’t expect a large number for a CUV