Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The corona virus is killed at 70C for 20 minutes. Set your oven to 105C for 35 minutes. That will dry the mask, kill the virus, and not harm the elastic. Yes, the mask won't last forever, but you can likely get 40-60 hours use. (Anyone who knows more than I do about this, please chime in).

Why not wash it thoroughly with soap?. We all know soap disintegrates the virus.

Why not wash it thoroughly with soap?. We all know soap disintegrates the virus.

I'm sure we will be able to identify a solution in which masks can be soaked for say 24 hours to kill the virus, put them though a regular machine wash and dry them at high temp in a clothes dryer...

Individuals using this method will need about 3 masks, 1 to wear, one being soaked, and one in the wash...

Some numbers: the entire N95 production output of the US is 50M per month. It would take 6 months just to equip healthcare professionals, per CDC estimates. We peons probably don't need N95.

I have heard that China makes 10 million per DAY. I had no problem ordering lots of FFP2 masks for friends, which are just as good as N95. But, Alibaba has now stopped any PPE sales, which makes it more difficult.

P

Please tell me this is a sarcastic comment. Soap doesn't kill or disintegrate anything. All soap does is facilitate the removal of bacteria and viruses from surfaces. The bilipid nature of soap means it stick to both hydrophobic and hydrophilic things. Soap never has and never will kills germs.

Alcohol bases things like hand gel do denature viruses. BUT SOAP DOES NOT. That is why you must thoroughly scrub and rinse.

If we can't get people to realize that after 3 months of this damn thing we are screwed.

The corona virus is killed at 70C for 20 minutes. Set your oven to 105C for 35 minutes. That will dry the mask, kill the virus, and not harm the elastic. Yes, the mask won't last forever, but you can likely get 40-60 hours use. (Anyone who knows more than I do about this, please chime in).

Unfortunately heat that dries the mask will decrease efficacy. Ethylene Oxide is used by hospitals to sterilize equipment and now masks. UVC sterilization can also work on masks and maintain their efficacy.

Repelling liquid droplets is an essential function of a mask, surgical masks have a water repellent that is not as effective after exposure to soap and water.

The most important function of a mask is to prevent airborne particles entering your nose and mouth. If you touch the mask, you are at risk. With every touch of the mask you need to cleanse your hands before you touch something else. I spend much of my day coaching my staff not to touch the mask. A well fitting nose piece is most important, if it slips, we all move it upwards.

Is this now the coronavirus and face mask sterilization thread? Unless you guys have something to contribute in terms of impact to TSLA.....

(takes off mod hat and tries to get the train back on track)

What do we think will happen next week? Given the short week I’m expecting lower volumes and higher manipulation for TSLA. Any updates on battery day? What other news can we expect? Looks like we continue to deplete inventory and deliver cars. But guys we have a demand problem....

No. Heating the mask kills the virus without damaging the filter of the mask. Washing ruins the mask.

Unfortunately heat that dries the mask will decrease efficacy. Ethylene Oxide is used by hospitals to sterilize equipment and now masks. UVC sterilization can also work on masks and maintain their efficacy.

Repelling liquid droplets is an essential function of a mask, surgical masks have a water repellent that is not as effective after exposure to soap and water.

The most important function of a mask is to prevent airborne particles entering your nose and mouth. If you touch the mask, you are at risk. With every touch of the mask you need to cleanse your hands before you touch something else. I spend much of my day coaching my staff not to touch the mask. A well fitting nose piece is most important, if it slips, we all move it upwards.
You guys will be rock stars over on the Coronavirus thread. :cool:

edit: @vikings123 beat me to it

Is this now the coronavirus and face mask sterilization thread? Unless you guys have something to contribute in terms of impact to TSLA.....

What do we think will happen next week? Given the short week I’m expecting lower volumes and higher manipulation for TSLA. Any updates on battery day? What other news can we expect? Looks like we continue to deplete inventory and deliver cars. But guys we have a demand problem....

Fair point..

I'm expecting Battery Day after Q1 earnings... I now think Q1 earnings might be delayed while they work out when and how to open Fremont.

This post is my big picture take on the year:-
Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

This is my take on S&P 500 inclusion:-
Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

There are so many unknowns that we are just guessing, I guess my main point is I expect Tesla to be proactive about solving problems and getting production restarted.

I'm sure we will be able to identify a solution in which masks can be soaked for say 24 hours to kill the virus, put them though a regular machine wash and dry them at high temp in a clothes dryer...

That would probably degrade the mask and the elastic straps. I think an alcohol soak and air dry is OK.

That would probably degrade the mask and the elastic straps. I think an alcohol soak and air dry is OK.

youre-killin-me-xxl4fd.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
At one time in my past, I had kids that had a problem contact with head lice. I figured out a lot of things about getting rid of them. To solve the problem described here, put the masks in the clothes dryer for about 20 minutes on high temp. I think that was 120 degrees on my dryer at the time. This should be within the design range of any elastic on the mask, which would be similar to elastic in clothing.

You probably don't want to run the masks through the washing machine or likewise get any liquids on them - just use the dryer.

Anyone think the influx of cash from the CARES loans will strengthen macros. Tons of small business owners that now get free payroll for two months, many of them may not looking at a 50% downturn can use their current cash for investments and the government loan for payroll.

P

Please tell me this is a sarcastic comment. Soap doesn't kill or disintegrate anything. All soap does is facilitate the removal of bacteria and viruses from surfaces. The bilipid nature of soap means it stick to both hydrophobic and hydrophilic things. Soap never has and never will kills germs.

Alcohol bases things like hand gel do denature viruses. BUT SOAP DOES NOT. That is why you must thoroughly scrub and rinse.

If we can't get people to realize that after 3 months of this damn thing we are screwed.

OT, but I think it’s important to clear this up. Apparently soap does destroy the virus by dissolving the lipid membrane.
7ED1064F-8700-4578-BB0D-8E6D64F60311.jpeg

Why Soap Works

Terrible cash burn has been priced in, if you have not noticed TSLA is down almost as much as travel stocks. What is not priced in is better than expected cash burn which is what q1 is providing. It also gives a good insight to overall demand and Tesla's ability to deliver cars since they were expected to miss any type of expectations by majority of shareholders.

Oh my bank account noticed the 40% decline in price :)

I dunno I've only followed TSLA stock since 2016 I think there are definitely times future cash burn has been priced in, but so the stock won't dip after those earning reports but won't have massive appreciation either. So I just don't see a big post Q2 earnings-related bump.

Now Battery Day on the other hand...

Any positive Q1 results I imagine would be a good boon. Deciding on whether to reenter before Q1 results, or after Q1 but before Battery Day.

Uh, sorry if I tried to ask a legit question about what the next catalyst for moving the stock is. I am relatively new to this board and sorry I picked a number similar to someone else. FYI, I put $2500 down last May for a awd MY and have been dollar cost ave into Tesla stock for last 18 months.

It's unfortunate because there are often concern trolls here, but many have an itchy trigger finger and will lambast anyone with any critical (even if legitimate) questions if they don't trust them. ;)

You your forgot to leave your posting history private (unlike @KSilver2000). And I see @ZeApelido "liked" your reply to me calling you out. What's strange is how thinly veiled your intentions are. ZeApelido sold the majority of his stock (per his own admission) and then immediately went from forum Jokester to forum Negative Nancy. Let me say it again. Thinly Veiled. Your intentions are transparent.

This is an interesting twist on the truth.

I began posting my little Google Trend findings days (or a week) before I sold stock. That was a real-time thought process that I shared here to bounce the ideas off.

Once I felt there wasn't really much rebuttal, (plus short term COVID market underestimation IMO) then I sold. And told everyone.

That's transparency. If I was trying to manipulate the market (lol) I sure did a bad job by being "negative" before I sold!

I am itching to get back in. But I still don't see clear refutation of my Q2 production / demand concerns. So it makes me hesitant because yes I would like to get more shares for my money. So I may still post on that topic until I get better clarity.

If we had all done the same by listening better to anyone talking about COVID (with data), would you not have sold stock at $900?

I am still bullish.

After-action Report: Fri, Apr 03, 2020: (Full-Day's Trading)

VWAP: $488.80
Volume: 22,608,126
Traded: $11,050,800,414.39 ($11.05 B)

Closing SP / VWAP: 98.18%
(TSLA closed BELOW today's Avg SP)​

FINRA Short/Total Volume = 60.32% (64th Percentile rank Shorting)
FINRA Volume / Total NASDAQ Vol = 48.93% (75th Percentile rank FINRA Reporting)

Comment: "Tesla beats; TSLA bleats: Separate Naked Shorting report later."

TSLA - SUMMARY TABLE - 2020-04-03.png