Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't actually know much about Goldman except that I think they are snakes in it only for themselves. If you were smart enough to buy Tesla, I don't think you need anyone else to help manage your money. Buy either more TSLA, Berkshire Hathaway (BRK), S&P 500 index, or sit on cash. No need for any options beyond those in my opinion.
Stay in TSLA; avoid BRK.

When you do a deep dive into BRK, you can't help but realize that too much of their money comes from companies doing "not good" things: animal abuse (lots of animal products), human abuse (using those animal products to feed massive sugar addictions), and then there's Nevada Energy as well--working hard to kill solar.

It's hard to be an even remotely ethical investor and own any part of Warren's empire of evil; stay in TSLA!

Automakers' Report Card: Who Still Owes Taxpayers Money? The Answer Might Surprise You

That $5.9B loan by Ford is still owing.

Ford Motor owes the government $5.9 billion it borrowed in June 2009, the same month GM filed for bankruptcy. By Sept. 15, Ford needs to start paying that money back. In a government filing, the carmaker said $577 million is due within the next year, and the full amount must be paid off by June 15, 2022.

And with COVID-19 they will have an excuse not to pay back the rightful Taxpayer and most likely ask for much more. Their loan was specific amoung other items to built out EVs. How are they doing with that? Ford sqaundered it all away during the good times. All OEM will go bankwupt without Government intervention. Tesla will be the only stand out.

And that means the raid on taxpayers money will benefit oil companies and legacy car makers that dragged their heels and not Tesla who did the right thing. Not that it matters in the long run. Sad to see the trajectory of how it gets wrongly allocated though.

No I didn't know!
Thx... new equation but want +miles I think.

And the Y can tow 3,500 lbs! That's a 21' ski boat (barely), or a nice camper. I read just a few months ago about only being able to pull maybe 1,500 lbs. This is great news for us! Hopefully there's some range yet to be unlocked too.

Demand for Y is solved IMO. But should I wait a few months for a few more upgrades I wonder? I definitely want this more than our Model 3 now. Geeze, trade-up maybe? How did I miss that news? (OK, I skip pages, too much news).

If I trade up to a Y with many others, we'll create a nice used inventory of 3's. All good!

Macros cntd:

I can echo these sentiments from a few hedge fund internal calls I've heard that the the big guys are aware of a few blowups (or at least rumors of blowups) or "positions of stress" from the smaller (still many $billions AUM) funds. Due to the big guy's understanding of sizing and positions of their smaller competitors, they're using this information to make trades in an offensive/defensive nature that has nothing to do with reality and we're seeing some of the aftermath like a bully pounding on a little kid and the rest of us watching getting blood splattered on us.

Example: "Top 10 Big Fund has a strong suspicion that Mom's Basement Funds Ltd is long/short out to wazoo on ABC, they're getting slammed with redemptions and/or margin calls, so Big Fund is going to curb stomp them in this current climate because... well, why not?"

I'm not suggesting this is happening everywhere or at a level that's big enough to explain +/- 5% days in the broader markets, but it is happening. On the calls I've heard, the funds aren't even sure themselves if "other funds are actually blowing up" or if this is more of a weird self-fulfilling prophecy, but it would seem to make sense that there are investors looking to pull money out (like during 2008) ASAP, causing some smaller funds to have to force-liquidate, which could further trigger margin calls, triggering forced-selling, etc. UNLIKE 2008 when everything seized up, there's still plenty of flow for the big guys to make money.

I have to keep telling myself that "everything eventually reverts to the mean" and "this too shall pass" but it's hard to see it when you're in the thick of it.

Cirrus, could you (or anyone) please try to translate this into plain English? Are you saying that big hedge funds are deliberately trying to crash the stock market and destroy their own performance so that small hedge funds will have destroyed performance and lose customers?

If that is your claim, it seems to me about as likely as Tesla losing production because their suppliers can't fill out paperwork.

However, that article is 7 years old. I'd sure like to know if they still owe on it today...."

Right you are. My rookie mistake citing an aged article.

$80.7 Billion bailout of Autos between 2008 - 2014 Was the Big 3 Auto Bailout Worth It?
Ford

The most recent article I found (still Sept 2016) states Ford still owes the government $3.5 billion and isn't scheduled to pay it off until 2022.
Trump Should Be Asking: Will Ford Pay Off Its Government Loan Before Moving Small Car Production To Mexico?

GM with massive bailout and grants is no better and continues to get free money from other governments. Canadian taxpayers’ secretive $2.6-billion gift to Chrysler - Macleans.ca

My last post on this, as going off topic.

Cirrus, could you (or anyone) please try to translate this into plain English? Are you saying that big hedge funds are deliberately trying to crash the stock market and destroy their own performance so that small hedge funds will have destroyed performance and lose customers?

If that is your claim, it seems to me about as likely as Tesla losing production because their suppliers can't fill out paperwork.
No, not quite. I don't think big hedge funds are "crashing the stock market" in the sense that it's actively hurting them. Many of the top-performing funds are flat to up this year and are taking on new investor money for the first time in a while.

Some smaller funds are getting killed and I think it's naive to assume that there isn't a feeding frenzy going on behind the scenes that's exacerbating their problems of poor performance, redemptions, forced selling, repeat. (These were just the immediate public links I found in a 30 second Google search.)

Is this the explanation for everything happening in the markets right now? Of course not and I cannot make any claim as to the proportion of this activity compared to everything else going on, but it is happening.

And it's totally fine to disagree that a smaller supplier could cause major headaches to Tesla's assembly line (I hope I'm wrong and I probably am). Here's an older link from 2018 for Tesla's Model 3 suppliers:
https://s3-prod.autonews.com/s3fs-public/CA116489730.PDF

Just about all of these are large global names for the big important pieces, but it doesn't account for every single part in the car. Tesla makes a lot of them in-house, but it doesn't make everything (yet). I don't think it's wrong for folks to consider the fact that a single unavailable or delayed component anywhere in the assembly can degrade the entire line anywhere from 1% reduced throughput to full shutdown until it's resolved. All I'm suggesting is that it could be the dumbest, smallest, most seemingly insignificant little thing that causes havoc on Tesla being able to get back to full production. I think it's less likely to be a large international manufacturer (like Panasonic) and more likely to be some small shop nobody has ever heard of who makes 50% of Tesla's Part# 41234JASJ453 (I made this up), of which, 4 of them go into every Model 3 or Y.

Nice video ...thanks for sharing.
But man that bit at the end as he is trying to action off the tires and stands:eek:
Sounds like he is a bit desperate for cash!
I don't see who would purchase one of the tables unless they intended to use it outside. That tire will give off stinky VOCs like nobody's business.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unpilot
Did i miss anything here-- Tesla just released a Chinese built M3 with 400 mile range!? Was this expected or a non event, given the relative lack of news. I admit to not paying attention to the M3 US built range, but last i checked just now is 322 miles. Wasn't range the achilles heel for EVs? How would a 400 mile range M3 do in the US? Is this a 400 mile range with asterisk--only achievable in China?
Different testing is what I've heard.