Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only question left for me is the degree of Tesla's future dominance. In 2040, will Tesla simply be the biggest player, or is 90% that moves over roads going to be in some way related to Tesla?

Huh? You need that question answered? Really?

There’s no answer to it that isn’t: WIN! Making the question irrelevant. If you buy all the stock you can get your hands on and hold it - ******* unbelievably rich. How hard is that? Not hard. Easy peasy. No questions need to be answered. Finish line!

It might still pull back. But it might not. That's why I invest on the basis of the future value I see in the company and don't worry about the short-term price action. Because once people figure out there is a lot of growth and margin improvement left, there are no more cheap entry points. I've made a lot of profit by buying "over-priced" companies like MSFT and SBUX in the late 80's early 90's. You pay the premium to get the steady growth for years. Unfortunately, I missed AMZN because I constantly thought it was too expensive. And I didn't know how much innovation was possible in the field of retail. Sometimes you just need to suck it up.

I am confused. In an earlier post, you stated you were 45% in cash. If you do not think Tesla will pull back from the current price, so that you can buy shares, what purpose do you have for having such a large amount of cash?

Reactions: UncaNed
Strong cash position.

We know Tesla has more than 8 billion as reserve
We know that with 60-65k delivered, their cash burn is -600 million but most likely way less due to furlough, EV credits, and FSD revenue(and this is a projected delivery number for Q2 IF they close the entire quarter).
We know their Q1 report is roughly break even.

So yeah that means after all said and done, Tesla will have 7.5 billion in the bank without any significant borrowing from the government AS THE WORST CASE. Tesla is extremely financially strong to weather this storm. During a financial crisis, cash is king. Wanna know why Carnival dropped 85%? Because they only had 500 million on hand as reserves. Their cash burn rate is roughly 0.5 billion/month for every month that's shut down.

Tesla may also be able to use this crisis to their advantage if they can get another already-built factory on the cheap for Cybertruck.

Nice video ...thanks for sharing.
But man that bit at the end as he is trying to action off the tires and stands:eek:
Sounds like he is a bit desperate for cash!

It's a lot better than when he was trying to auction off a bolt out of the trunk - said if Tesla replaces it, it will be super rare (cause rare bolts are a highly collectible item!). And what's funny is, he had just shown some random part, and said they were going to auction it off, along with other parts - all would be signed and annotated, then proceeded to sign this random part (that I have NO IDEA why anyone would want to own!). After that, he showed the bolt and said they would auction it off as well. I was thinking to myself, "I can't wait to see you sign that bolt!"

While driving recently, FSD did something new I hadn’t noticed before - it lane adjusted whenever vehicles, most notably tractor trailers, started to hug one lane line.

So, if I was in the left lane to a tractor trailer and it started to drift toward the lane line to the right of my car, instead of my car staying dead center in its lane, the car moved a bit left in my lane. If the trailer moved back to the right, my car would center itself again.

The car did this with vehicles from both sides. Maybe it’s been doing that for awhile, but I only just noticed it - perhaps because it can be real subtle at times.
I saw signs of that a while back, but it was rare so figured it was just me hoping. I will look for it now!

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
Tesla may also be able to use this crisis to their advantage if they can get another already-built factory on the cheap for Cybertruck.

Look how good Ford came out of the last crisis - got a tax payer funded $5.9 billion dollar loan, and goodwill from consumers for "not taking a bailout"! And what's worse, if you know the REAL reason they didn't take a bailout is because they had just leveraged everything they owned - including the blue oval trademark and headquarters for the first time in history, to avoid bankruptcy so a) simply didn't need more cash, and b) simply couldn't take on more debt.

Essentially, Ford was the luckiest company in the history of the world. Because they were doing SO poorly during good economic times, they had to mortgage the farm. All the other manufacturers had decent balance sheets, so they weren't borrowing. When the banking collapse happened, and no one was buying cars, the other manufacturers obviously needed money, but the banks had none to loan (they were getting bailed out themselves). So Ford, because they were in such trouble financially borrowed money just before it all disappeared. And then ran commercials saying how they didn't take the tax payers money. Biggest sham I've ever seen. Ford sold a TON of F150s to Chevy lovers after the 2008 collapse.

Macros:

I know several fairly big money institutional prop traders and brokers who see the flows. They're not a statistically significant sample but they all report to me that a) the recent market rally is the mother of all short covering rallies, b) long term money like pension funds are not accumulating stocks, c) the rally is largely on thin volumes and very low quality.

None purport to know when sentiment will change and what the trigger will be but they are all positioning for markets to find now lows before the year is out.

Take this on board or not as you will. If they are right, it is naive to think TSLA wouldn't be dragged down with the market.
Macros cntd:

I can echo these sentiments from a few hedge fund internal calls I've heard that the the big guys are aware of a few blowups (or at least rumors of blowups) or "positions of stress" from the smaller (still many $billions AUM) funds. Due to the big guy's understanding of sizing and positions of their smaller competitors, they're using this information to make trades in an offensive/defensive nature that has nothing to do with reality and we're seeing some of the aftermath like a bully pounding on a little kid and the rest of us watching getting blood splattered on us.

Example: "Top 10 Big Fund has a strong suspicion that Mom's Basement Funds Ltd is long/short out to wazoo on ABC, they're getting slammed with redemptions and/or margin calls, so Big Fund is going to curb stomp them in this current climate because... well, why not?"

I'm not suggesting this is happening everywhere or at a level that's big enough to explain +/- 5% days in the broader markets, but it is happening. On the calls I've heard, the funds aren't even sure themselves if "other funds are actually blowing up" or if this is more of a weird self-fulfilling prophecy, but it would seem to make sense that there are investors looking to pull money out (like during 2008) ASAP, causing some smaller funds to have to force-liquidate, which could further trigger margin calls, triggering forced-selling, etc. UNLIKE 2008 when everything seized up, there's still plenty of flow for the big guys to make money.

I have to keep telling myself that "everything eventually reverts to the mean" and "this too shall pass" but it's hard to see it when you're in the thick of it.

Did i miss anything here-- Tesla just released a Chinese built M3 with 400 mile range!? Was this expected or a non event, given the relative lack of news. I admit to not paying attention to the M3 US built range, but last i checked just now is 322 miles. Wasn't range the achilles heel for EVs? How would a 400 mile range M3 do in the US? Is this a 400 mile range with asterisk--only achievable in China?

Reactions: BBone
Did i miss anything here-- Tesla just released a Chinese built M3 with 400 mile range!? Was this expected or a non event, given the relative lack of news. I admit to not paying attention to the M3 US built range, but last i checked just now is 322 miles. Wasn't range the achilles heel for EVs? How would a 400 mile range M3 do in the US? Is this a 400 mile range with asterisk--only achievable in China?
NEDC not EPA

where did you see that? checked the tesla website and nothing there....

thanks

It is on the order/configuration page in the Exterior section:

Model Y Tow.png