Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SF Bay area is still shut down because of a failure of the public health departments and the political leadership to fund them.

"Case counts and hospitalization reports, two key gauges of the status of the outbreak, have either stabilized or are starting to decline. That means counties are starting to slow or even stop the spread of the virus.

But testing in all six counties is far below the goals set for the region — in some places it needs to increase seven-fold to meet targets. Most of the counties do not yet have a strong enough contact tracing program to effectively prevent future outbreaks. And most, if not all, do not have a large enough stockpile of protective equipment to safeguard health care workers if the number of patients rises.

Without those key resources in place, the region can’t lift shelter-in-place orders, say public health and infectious disease experts."

"Public health officers said it’s possible they will loosen further restrictions before the end of the month. On Friday, Gov. Gavin Newsom said at a briefing that the state could be “many days, not weeks” from lifting some shelter-in-place directives.

But those decisions depend on state and regional metrics moving in the right directions, and much of that progress is in the hands of public health authorities — to increase testing capacity, for example, and to hire workers to do labor-intensive contact tracing."

Added: This really irks me. We are like 15 to 20 weeks into this situation. The government public health departments established metrics at least 6 weeks ago. And we need to be increasing public capabilities in some areas still by 7 times?

Bay Area has 6 criteria for loosening coronavirus restrictions. Here’s where each county is now

This is insanity.
How in the world is there not a Manhattan Project scale effort to get the situation under control?
The economic value of getting out of lockdown even a single day earlier is in the Billions of dollars for the whole US.
How is money still an issue?

Conspiracy theories are theories just because we do not have all the facts...
Disagree. Conspiracy theories imply there there are competent people at the top steering the world according to their goals.
In my opinion this isn't always false, but most of the time politics looks much more like Brownian motion than like that..
Most of the time, nobody is truly in control.

I would expect that at some point the new cells would be slipstreamed unannounced into the production line. They would be software limited to perform within the limits of the old cells. Shortly after full introduction, a new configuration price representing improved range and pack performance would be announced, along with an upgrade charge for prior recipients to utilize the new performance. Tesla has somewhat done this before.
For having an - in appearance - haphazardly CEO, Tesla is very good in mitigating the Osborne effect. Worst they've had in recent times is Electrek announcing an interior makeover of the Model S and X which might have stalled some people's buying intentions.

The Bay Area is becoming quite a Xi't Show.

The counties have formed a conspiracy, and set almost impossible re-opening goals.
Possible upcoming actions:
1. Admit they are wrong and modify the opening criteria.
2. Extend the shutdown forever.
3. Legal warfare.
4. "disappear" Elon.

I have all faith in Tesla when it comes to opening the factory with worker safety in mind. They’ve done it at Shanghai factory, and can do it again. Tesla should be consulted in setting the opening criteria for manufacturing, instead of ignored because of someone’s power trip. Based on the emails and Zoom meeting Q&A, there does not seem to be a real partnership between local government and businesses to come to a reasonable re-opening plan together.

Meanwhile, Bay Area hospitalizations drop below 300: The number of people hospitalized with Covid-19 in the Bay Area dropped to 290 on Thursday, according to state data analyzed by The Chronicle. That’s down from 308 on Wednesday, and the 12th straight day of declining or flat hospitalization numbers. The number of Bay Area residents in the intensive care unit held steady at 125 on Thursday, which is the latest day data is available.

That is out of a population of 7.753 million people.

I know this won't be popular here but I don't care.

At this point, re-opening in Northern CA is only a few weeks away as a worst case scenario. Pushing this opening isn't necessary for all the negative PR.

Yes, cases in that county are low, but that could also be due to the steps that have been taken. If the health officials feel a few more weeks is necessary, it won't make a bit of difference in Tesla's long term story. Maybe it's all the day traders on this forum that are pushing for it but as a long term holder I can wait a few more weeks.

I know even Elon wouldn't agree with me but sometimes patience is appropriate .... it's remarkable how far Tesla and Elon have come ... they can see a finish line and they are ahead by leaps and bounds ... no need to trip here. Long term is what is important.

Cheers to the longs ....

I know this won't be popular here but I don't care.

At this point, re-opening in Northern CA is only a few weeks away as a worst case scenario. Pushing this opening isn't necessary for all the negative PR.

Yes, cases in that county are low, but that could also be due to the steps that have been taken. If the health officials feel a few more weeks is necessary, it won't make a bit of difference in Tesla's long term story. Maybe it's all the day traders on this forum that are pushing for it but as a long term holder I can wait a few more weeks.

I know even Elon wouldn't agree with me but sometimes patience is appropriate .... it's remarkable how far Tesla and Elon have come ... they can see a finish line and they are ahead by leaps and bounds ... no need to trip here. Long term is what is important.

Cheers to the longs ....

I think the PR would actually help. I don't think anyone will NOT buy a Tesla as a consequence of defying an order to stay closed. I'm sure there are plenty of people who WOULD buy a Tesla because they are defying government orders.

I’ve been to this market a few times. It’s usually packed like sardines, including the parking and businesses on surrounding streets. I almost want to go to see just exactly how this is all handled. There’s simply not enough space in that downtown area for every shopper to spread out. And if other businesses are open as well... Perhaps if attendance is a fraction of normal... Hmm...weather is suppose to be absolutely perfect today.

Pleasanton Downtown Farmers Market Reopens On Saturday

When things like I saw earlier this week and this are happening, but Tesla isn’t being given permission to reopen - I am left to continue to believe that people in general are of low IQ, lack common sense, and are selfish, self-serving pigs.

I have no idea if an entity with a bigger dick is controlling certain county officials, but whomever is pulling the strings may they rot in their own pool of cess.

Yup, I think I’m going to go drive by.

Last edited:
Tesla should be consulted in setting the opening criteria for manufacturing, instead of ignored because of someone’s power trip. Based on the emails and Zoom meeting Q&A, there does not seem to be a real partnership between local government and businesses to come to a reasonable re-opening plan together.
This.

For Texas to come up with its reopening plan, the Governor put together a 39-member task force made up of business leaders, politicians and medical experts. They came up with a plan, with associated execution dates in a week. The plan was implemented almost immediately.