Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is exceptionally complete. Certainly shows that they have indeed put thought and effort into it.
And the County still rejected it, even with the China factory example showing that it worked. The County's position is not about health, it's about their power.

All this shitake over an extra 2 weeks of shutdown?

Seems like small peanuts...

What is the Machiavellian motivation here? Marketing? Excuse to move to Tejas? There must be one.

Obviously Elon didn’t think it would only have been two weeks without his actions. That May 8th date came out after Elon’s actions. The available evidence supports Elon’s actions that he didn’t have an opening date. What evidence supports your assertion?

And for those (like the rag Electrek) who are having fainting spells at Elon’s mean tweets: obviously, again, the tweets were part of a coordinated campaign to put pressure on various levels of government. That lawsuit was not written in 4 hours. Obviously Tesla has been preparing for these actions for a while. You may not like tweet warfare, but it is a reality in our current media environment. And it certainly wasn’t worse than what elected officials tweet out, like that CA state rep that tweeted, “Fvck Elon”

Judging by the reactions to his tweets it looks like Elon’s recent actions cost him some support among the vocal left, but he probably more than made up for that among the middle and right.
Nobody needs to appease the extremes anyway. The far left are detrimental to society just as the far right is. Mainly bc “far” implies a lack of empathy and willingness to listen and compromise.

A local district court judge won't make the final decision.

Yes and no. The likely disposition is to take a few days. The Judge denies and emergency restraining order, and tells both parties to prepare briefs. That will burn a few more days. After some bak and forth, Judge rules against Elon. Elon appeals. Meanwhile the clock is ticking and the calendar is turning pages. End of May. Alameda County opens up more and allows Tesla to open. Appeal is now moot.

What is the Machiavellian motivation here? Marketing? Excuse to move to Tejas? There must be one.

it’s not just 2 more weeks of the shutdown. Alameda county has yet to give any guidance on when Tesla can expect to reopen. They simply say they will revisit.

Dave Lee gives a really thorough run down on the details of the situation.

As I read this, it only asks the court to order to pay Tesla's legal expenses associated with this lawsuit. I was thinking along the lines of this suit laying the groundwork for a future lawsuit, where they will attempt to recover damages.

Tesla is not about lawsuits - the primary reason they would sue for money in this sort of situation is to encourage a quicker resolution. If the other party is not on the line for legal fees or damages, they might be more likely to be stubborn. When I first heard they were suing the County, I thought they would ask for economic damages for lost production. But that was before I knew they were planning to re-open before the suit was decided in court. They are still asking for legal fees which is extra incentive for the County to back down on their stubbornness.

And, of course, it's not unheard of for an outraged judge to add on economic compensation above and beyond those requested by the plaintiff. It's completely within their authority to do that if it is determined that the offense was a willful disregard of the law or otherwise more egregious than simple incompetence.

• Informative
Reactions: Lessmog and PeterJA
It's also a top story on other sources, and I'm disappointed with how little nuance a story can contain when it fits within an ideology's cognative resonance.

This morning on NPR they said Elon was threatening to sue over "social distancing." Which is a gross oversimplification of the issue. But for many people "Republican is bad. Republican says reopen. Elon says reopen his factory, therefore Elon bad."

It makes so much sense to allow businesses that can operate safely to operate, and keep the rest closed. Why does everything need to be so black and white?

People are lazy. Nuance takes work. People are conditioned to sit back, gobble salty snacks, and have their entertainment fed to them. What do you expect?

Talent jumping from powerful tech company to form a dynamic startup.
That's just California.
The bulk of the above companies (including Tesla) were birthed in California. AMD begat NVDIA from one of California's many business-unfriendly rules: non-compete clauses are not enforceable.
In Texas they are.
I can see that growing/maintaining the Fremont factory is beneficial for neither Tesla nor California.
Deer Creek is. I hope it stays.
The housing crisis continues in NorCal, maybe home prices in Stockton, Livermore, Modesto will take a breather now. Austin is looking good!
I might start looking for some rental prop around North Loop in Austin. East Austin is a bit pricey.

TSLA is better off manufacturing in a cheaper, environmentally unrestricted locale. Higher margins, and less costly oversight will yield more EVs sooner. That's good IMO.

Exactly. CA is a terrible place for manufacturing. Progressives in charge have made in uncompetitive.

Judging by the reactions to his tweets it looks like Elon’s recent actions cost him some support among the vocal left (I’ve been looking at a lot of feeds of the ones who react negatively), but he probably more than made up for that among the middle and right.

If the support he is losing is along the line of Lorena Gonzalez and her “f#*# Elon Musk’ tweets then good riddance. I am stunned by the totalitarianism leaking out of the so called progressives for years now, and her reaction pretty much sums it up. How she somehow views herself and her colleagues as an alternative to the current occupants in the White House is beyond me, as they are obviously cut from the same cloth.

Perhaps local health officers would have more trust in Tesla’s ability to protect their staff and prevent further spread, if Musk hadn’t spent his time on Twitter and in employee communications making out that cv-19 was nothing to be worried about (less dangerous than driving to work), promoting a bizarre conspiracy theory that the overall societal mortality statistics were being faked, pumping fringe treatments and calling public officials “fascists”.
Wrong. Tesla presented a reasonable plan before the tweets and the County threw it back in his face for no other reason than they wanted to show their power.

This is the top news story on Foxnews.com. The right wing is falling more and more in love with Tesla and Musk ever since his fight with CNN and now with California and his calls to re-open the economy and even move to Texas. Tesla's addressable market in the US is growing much, much larger.

California Democrat reacts to Tesla lawsuit, pullout plan over coronavirus rules: ‘F--- Elon Musk’
He should reply to her: Thank you for proving my point.

Her cluelessness is breathtaking. What an absolute disgrace.

This is the top news story on Foxnews.com. The right wing is falling more and more in love with Tesla and Musk ever since his fight with CNN and now with California and his calls to re-open the economy and even move to Texas. Tesla's addressable market in the US is growing much, much larger.

California Democrat reacts to Tesla lawsuit, pullout plan over coronavirus rules: ‘F--- Elon Musk’

The politician who tweeted that must be pretty sheltered and arrogant to think that people will side with a politician rather than a very visible CEO of a most loved car brand. I don’t care what your political leanings are, people generally don’t like politicians of any stripe.

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele

Yeah, only 2 weeks of humiliation for no reason is nothing and we can suffer it a little bit more. I think it illustrates how difficult it will be for the whole society to get back our normal freedoms - it will be similar fight for every little bit that was lost so easily.

Wow! That was an extremely compelling advertisement for a Tesla Model Y! Everyone wants one, demand is through the roof, but no one can get them because the government has shut down Tesla's production! Most surprising is the way the reporter on the ground was waxing poetic about what a nice car it was. And when he walked around by the open hatchback, well, the inside looked ginormous!:eek:

I have a pretty strong dislike of SUV's but that segment on FOX made me want one!o_O That reporter is in the wrong business. He should be in marketing and sales! :cool:

Last edited:
Exactly. CA is a terrible place for manufacturing. Progressives in charge have made in uncompetitive.

Ya, there should be no regulations on business. We should be like China.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 54
The politician who tweeted that must be pretty sheltered and arrogant to think that people will side with a politician rather than a very visible CEO of a most loved car brand. I don’t care what your political leanings are, people generally don’t like politicians of any stripe.

I was thinking about donating to her opposition in the upcoming election but not only does he clearly not have a chance, I really dislike his platform. She is definitely one of those politicians who is protected from every getting voted out any time soon.
Issues | John Vogel for California State Assembly