Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This idea that waiting is somehow going to make the factory less susceptable to infection is just silly.

I didn’t propose waiting as the only option (I think waiting alone is untenable given the level of infection).

This post was meant to be done as a risk assessment - I saw claims about Shanghai being similar and wanted to check that. Turns out it is not similar at all.

I think the factory needs to open back up. But the data suggests they are going to need to be very careful about how they do it, and their Shanghai experience will not likely be helpful. They definitely need to keep their high risk employees away, and pay them fully for not working.

I think they need to keep at least some people on site (live on site) and do regular PCR testing. Antigen testing is now coming online as well which may help with capacity issues.

I also think they need to encourage (enforce?) strict quarantine procedures on employees when they are *not* working to minimize risk. And support them with deliveries, safe child care, etc. Establish a virtual bubble! Keep everyone clean, for now...

Overall we must drive disease burden down, and then things will get safer and safer. Right now the level of testing is just tough to match to the disease burden. We need more testing available, and then we can open up more business, safely!

In the meantime, the only tenable solution I think exists is to create a strictly enforced bubble, and PCR test (at least twice) any people who must enter that bubble.

A judge could very likely allow them to open. But financial damages being awarded is slim to none. Especially on a grey area thing like this.
Any payment for compensatory losses properly should come from a U.S. Federal Auto bailout, if there is one. The only issue with that is if Washington tries to bail out Ford/GM/Chrysler while leaving Tesla out in the cold.

If that happens, there will be another *sugar* storm of force 10 magnitude.

#LEVELPLAYINGFIELD

Last edited:
I didn’t propose waiting as the only option (I think waiting alone is untenable given the level of infection).

This post was meant to be done as a risk assessment - I saw claims about Shanghai being similar and wanted to check that. Turns out it is not similar at all.

I think the factory needs to open back up. But the data suggests they are going to need to be very careful about how they do it, and their Shanghai experience will not likely be helpful. They definitely need to keep their high risk employees away, and pay them fully for not working.

I think they need to keep at least some people on site (live on site) and do regular PCR testing. Antigen testing is now coming online as well which may help with capacity issues.

I also think they need to encourage (enforce?) strict quarantine procedures on employees when they are *not* working to minimize risk. And support them with deliveries, safe child care, etc. Establish a virtual bubble! Keep everyone clean, for now...

Overall we must drive disease burden down, and then things will get safer and safer. Right now the level of testing is just tough to match to the disease burden. We need more testing available, and then we can open up more business, safely!

In the meantime, the only tenable solution I think exists is to create a strictly enforced bubble, and PCR test (at least twice) any people who must enter that bubble.
Making a claim, without the supporting evidence is rather useless.

Please expand upon why Tesla's experience in Shanghai is not similar at all.

I read your post in the coronavirus thread, and while I didn't find anything obviously wrong with your reasoning, I do worry that it's proving too much.
If your conclusion is accurate, wouldn't we also expect to see massive clusters in Tesla's Gigafactory and in their casting Factory in San Joaquin County, both of which have been operational with minimal to no shutdowns and are in regions with similar disease burden?
In any case, thanks for putting in the work for your original post!

Childish outbursts during times of extreme frustration is signature Musk. What was the motivation for the pedo tweet and funding secured? EM has demonstrated incredible strategy in the design and execution of the Masterplan, but only the most naive fan boys think he has world class communication skills...
Calgary? Which oil company?

Over the last few days I’ve deleted several posts whose main purpose was to link to a post in the corona thread (unrelated to the Fremont factory closure). Stop using the main thread as a billboard to get a bigger audience for what you are posting in the corona thread. No one’s scribblings are that important. And there’s a reason mods created a separate thread. Anyone who is interested in more in-depth info on the subject is already hanging out over there.

Perhaps local health officers would have more trust in Tesla’s ability to protect their staff and prevent further spread, if Musk hadn’t spent his time on Twitter and in employee communications making out that cv-19 was nothing to be worried about (less dangerous than driving to work), promoting a bizarre conspiracy theory that the overall societal mortality statistics were being faked, pumping fringe treatments and calling public officials “fascists”.

Please clarify your statement "calling public officials 'fascists'. I have searched internet here is the report referring to Fascism: "Tesla CEO Elon Musk railed against what he called "fascist" social distancing measures on an earnings call Wednesday". CBS News, April 30th. Elon Musk slams "fascist" social distancing measures in rant about Tesla production - CBS News

Reactions: MartinAustin
Holy tundra! That is a sobering display of the ginormous scale of the german Gigafactory. I had no idea it was planned to be so much larger than even the expanded China Gigafactory!
Well, the "CELL" building is not even displayed there. I'm sure many guys here don't even know of that:
MWGqEir.png

Gigafacorty 4 Berlin

Question: Is it legal to deliberately delay the reopening of a car plant, which is closed due to a public health order, and whose reopening date should therefore be determined only by public health considerations, because the CEO of the company threatened to sue you and was mean to you on twitter?o_O

I think what Mr. Haggerty is probably trying to say there is not that it "slows down" because of people being mean (in fact he says he is "threatened all the time"), rather when the specter of a lawsuit is raised it slows down communication because it should go through attorneys from that point onward.

I believe Tesla is asking for damages. The longer they are shut down the more damages are incurred. Those do not disappear just because eventually they were allowed to re-open.

They can ask all they want, but they are not getting any damages, no way no how. The Government has sovereign immunity -- can't be sued for doing their job as long as they are acting in good faith. (And Tesla's lawyers know that)

Newsom has already said that Phase 3 for the state was "not even a month away". Perfect time/excuse for Alameda County to go full Phase 2, and open Fremont plant.