Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My thoughts on the CR Model 3 recommendation “gate”:
  • Tesla shouldn’t let it go, they need to talk the sense out of them or sue them.
Tesla doing anything but providing solid evidence that quality has improved is the only reasonable way to fight their outdated information. CR will be combated by the shear number of new Model 3s on the road. People will see for themselves all over the world.

CRs average age for print readers is 65+. I think even online, it's in the mid to high 50s. There's nothing Tesla needs to do for CR to lose relevancy but wait it out as their demographics age out.

Or you could take a step in the opposite direction and go big... ;)

ashton-kutchers-trailer-mobile-home-anderson-1.jpg

The above company - Anderson Mobile Estates - makes luxury homes on wheels designed to be hauled around by a big rig. ;) A perfect fit for Semi, for a customer who can afford it...

(If I recall correctly, the one in that picture is owned by Aston Kutcher)

I kind of thought that such a concept might be a neat business opportunity - for example, mobile hotels that travel to wherever there's festivals going on, mobile restaurants that move from town to town, etc.

And there is room for solar panels on the top. Not enough to charge the truck, but enough to keep a Powerwall happy for the house.

I reviewed the “YouTest” section of Consumer Reports, available to subscribers like me. These are little tests that you can take that try to be informative. Lots of topics, many of them related to cars, and not a single EV-related one, nor one that includes an EV owner perspective. The “which cars get best mileage” test made no mention of EV range and efficiency. The “how often should you change your oil” made no allowances for “none”, even though I supplied my make and model as Tesla Model S (ok it was a text-only field, but wanted to make a point).

CR happily rates EVs, but still really as a completely separate category. AND YET they compare them to ICE cars using the same reliability metrics that include engine and transmission, without weighting the EVs as superior reliability by having neither (sure, electric motors, but they are not engines in the same sense). I would like to see them actually rate the expected reliability and lifetime of the EV motors and single-speed transmissions, both from one EV model to the next, and more importantly to the ICE “equivalent”. Should be possible to make a straightforward comparison which shows a much higher reliability level for most EVs, and some variation between EV models. If they did that, it would be hard to believe that Tesla and other EVs would not come out with higher reliability ratings than most if not all ICE vehicles.

IMHO CR has not integrated EVs into their “car” category in any meaningful sense, either in the reviews or anywhere else. They are going to have to scramble very soon if as is very likely we are near or already past an inflection point of transition.

For some reason it takes a lot of education and often enforcement to get people to change their thinking--even on things that would seem obvious if only a little thinking was involved. There are people who still don't wear their seat belts.

Such people need to watch a no seatbelts accidents dashcam compilation, such as this one (NSFW, viewer discretion advised), or this 18+ one. (Second one intentionally made hard to click.)

Seatbelts saved more lives than pretty much any other car safety feature. Yet it was opposed by the automotive industry for cost reasons, and mandating it in the U.S. was delayed by decades.

Seat belt use is still not ubiquitous in many U.S. states:

seatbelts.png

(I challenge everyone who is driving on public roads with no seat belts on, or allows passengers to not wear seatbelts, to watch the second video.)

My parrot insists on doing that sometimes. I try to encourage him not to. Sometimes he persists, because it's apparently a comfortable perch with a great view. But he always comes to regret it whenever I have to turn and he ends up doing circles, hanging on for dear life by his feet ;)

You're obviously intelligent, so much so I'm sure it rubs off on anything around you, even your parrot and the rest of us here. We see by your daily discretion in its application the proper use of knowledge—signs of wisdom. None visible in the hilarious image conjured of your parrot above. Like many males he must learn when to hang on and when to let go. Makes life a lot easier not to even try to manhandle the wheel of fortune and trying too hard causes loss of perch. (For mods: investment advice.) But then as an "extinguished professor"—my wife's term—I've been impotent on many levels for many years.

Studies show philosophers flower in old age. Others just blame it on senility. Neither ying nor yang, despite Hegel's first law of the dialectic: the unity of opposites.:rolleyes:

A little more current history of nationwide seatbelt use: U.S. seat belt use 2018 | Statistic. Close to 90% nationwide

*For many Americans, safety measures like buckling into a car are almost second nature. Not surprisingly, in 2010, 85% of drivers throughout the U.S. wore seat belts. Seat belt usage hasn’t always been so widespread, though. Even as few as 30 years ago, in 1982, only 11% of drivers used seat belts. Ever since the 1960s, the number of people using seat belts has risen steadily due to new legislation and innovative legal initiatives.*

Last edited:
Check out Wood Allen - I think he is playing Bill Gates, or is it the other way around? Who would have thought, one of our greatest philanthropists could spew this....

Glorified accountant who managed to dominate his industry by anticompetitive tactics. Literally, in the WIkipedia article on FUD:

Fear, uncertainty and doubt - Wikipedia

... the very first example they give is Microsoft. And it's a long example.

Actual email from Bill Gates, re: modifying apps so that they'd inexplicably only run on MS-DOS and not Microsoft's competitor DR-DOS:

"You never sent me a response on the question of what things an app would do that would make it run with MSDOS and not run with DR-DOS. Is there feature they have that might get in our way?"

They actually had secret encrypted code embedded in a number of apps that would write nonsensical error messages to make people suspect that there was something wrong with DR-DOS, and advise them to contact Microsoft tech support (where Microsoft would advise them to switch to MS-DOS)

Their attempt to try to force people onto Internet Explorer by basically breaking the web is one that's particularly infuriating for anyone who did web development during that era.

Bill Gates was a truly terrible person when running Microsoft. Now he's "found religion" in a figurative sense and has rebranded him as a philanthropist rather than... what, hoarding his money in a giant pile I guess? But even their foundation has come under a lot of criticism:

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation - Wikipedia

They even have a big investment in the GEO Group, which runs the Trump administration's baby jails.

Last edited:
Check out Wood Allen - I think he is playing Bill Gates, or is it the other way around? Who would have thought, one of our greatest philanthropists could spew this....
Most innovation is done when people are young. Unfortunate that we then ascribe old people with money as some how "smart"
Gates had the undeniable luck to be born at the right time. That time is past....he is now a doddering old fool with a ton of cash.

Bill Gates was a truly terrible person when running Microsoft. Now he's "found religion" in a figurative sense and has rebranded him as a philanthropist rather than... what, hoarding his money in a giant pile I guess? But even their foundation has come under a lot of criticism:

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation - Wikipedia

They even have a big investment in the GEO Group, which runs the Trump administration's baby jails.
I did use MS products back before 1991.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and AZRI11
Most of the likely US buyers of Tesla cars live in relatively upscale areas like mine. Tesla owners are so prevalent now in neighborhoods like mine that everyone either knows an owner, or at least can talk to an owner when a Tesla pulls into the grocery parking lot.

ALL the FUD, from all sources, including CR, the shorts, the press, Twitter and the blogs, can’t compete against anyone talking to multiple satisfied owners. Word of mouth marketing can’t possibly be beat.

So Tesla has already won the war in the neighborhoods that count for upscale car buying.

TSLA is a different story. Most investors know the cars are good (they too have ready access to owners), but they remain suspicious about buying the stock. They need to overcome years of skepticism about Musk and the company. I was hoping that two profitable quarters would start to erase these concerns, but for many investors it’s going to take awhile longer. Patience everyone, the TSLA war will be won soon as well.