Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Panasonic sees strong demand from Tesla, in talks to expand Nevada battery plant

I think this is important news for Stock price today, especially after a year of hearing about a strained relationship between Tesla and Panasonic. Now having a profit to show for it and reiterating Tesla’s strong demand for batteries is very bullish. Also if Tesla moves into doing batteries themselves it could be one of their most profitable ventures.

Well, as near as I can place it on the lo-rez bit-maps from the PDF you cited earlier, Hutto TX is near the end of this HV transmission line bringing 100% renewable wind-power into the Austin area:

View attachment 542514

That's all good for me, and your 'site-map' shows a 137KV transmission line already running past the border of the location. This will be huge for balancing GF5/Austin's carbon footprint, and together with Tesla Megapacks, will likely result in the best price available for wholesale electricity.

I'm liking this site... :D

Cheers!

Western Texas is also one of the best spots for PV:

Average-solar-radiation-data-for-the-United-States-for-January-which-is-the-month-having.png

France will change it's car tax system in the same direction Norway did years ago

Googly translations:

"We must make this crisis a lever to accelerate the ecological transition": Bruno Le Maire announces support plans for the automobile and aeronautics industries

"I will announce a support plan for the automotive sector within 15 days, and the faster the better," said Bruno Le Maire. This support plan should make it possible to "revive consumption, support the transformation towards a more sustainable model, with support in particular to vehicles which emit the least CO2, to electric vehicles" , he explained. In other words, Bruno Le Maire promises "support for the purchase of clean vehicles" : "We must make this crisis a lever to accelerate the ecological transition and to encourage the French to buy vehicles that are still too expensive for them today, " he said.

Source: "Il faut qu'on fasse de cette crise un levier pour accélérer la transition écologique" : Bruno Le Maire annonce des plans de soutien pour l'automobile et l'aéronautique

In Norway cars are taxed based on their emissions. So no tax for EVs including Tesla. Earlier Norway taxed cars based on purchase price, engine size and safety equipment.

That's when gerrymandering and voter suppression really picked up.
Until Lyndon Johnson pushed through the Civil Rights Act of 1964. As he allegedly predicted, the South all promptly became Republican. It’s odd that when I was a child most Progressives were Republican, although there was the Right Wing of Libertarians and Conservatives (e.g. Barry Goldwater). The 1950’s also brought the ‘Red Scare’ of McCarthy-WI, Nixon and Roy Cohn (now deified by Trump). Once Johnson declared himself, the Right gradually took over the whole Republican Party and pretty much eviscerated moderates. What’s left Romney and Snowe are powerless.

Texas has always been far more nuanced than the stereotypes have allowed. Members of my family have been in Texas for many decades, some fitting the racist stereotype, others as comfortable in Pacific Heights, SF as in Bryker Woods, Austin.

While this may seem off topic, it joins with the history of Hewlett-Packard and Texas Instruments to explain just how compatible the wider Austin area is with Silicon Valley types. Perhaps I am naive, having experienced both since early childhood. Somehow I think not simply because anybody who knows the history of Texas Instruments knows how much technological base there has been in Texas (OK, one thinks of Dallas and IBM when thinking of TI) also understands how culturally compatible the Austin area and Silicon Valley actually are.

Tesla will thrive in Texas! The announcement itself will bring on buying pressure, for products and shares.

Last edited:
France will change it's car tax system in the same direction Norway did years ago

In Norway cars are taxed based on their emissions. So no tax for EVs including Tesla. Earlier Norway taxed cars based on purchase price, engine size and safety equipment.

Same in the UK already. The annual road tax on my EV is precisely £0.

Panasonic sees strong demand from Tesla, in talks to expand Nevada battery plant

I think this is important news for Stock price today, especially after a year of hearing about a strained relationship between Tesla and Panasonic. Now having a profit to show for it and reiterating Tesla’s strong demand for batteries is very bullish. Also if Tesla moves into doing batteries themselves it could be one of their most profitable ventures.

As a fan of covered calls, there are weeks when I think staying away and watching the show. I think this could be a big move week and shooting through 900. Once there is a spike up, it can be hard to know if we'll get a 10 or 20% drive up. I think the market will like Elon's marketing to the Texas and Oklahoma governing class and likely GF5 in Austin. My take away is that they are in final discussions and the governors need air cover before committing a billion or more in incentives. Those always get a lot of blow back and few more than Elon and Tesla.
If there is an announcement this week with a plan to start assembly at the new site, we could have a big run up this week and we have the macros at our back.

So

I'm supposed to let some government beurocrats tell me how many children I am allowed to have? Uh, yeah, that ain't happening. Sorry. I'll find some other way to help solve the world's problems. Thanks

Dan

The issue isn't in the West anyway. Essentially all of the developed world is below replacement rate if you exclude immigration. (in some cases far below replacement)

Population control is needed desperately in the undeveloped parts of the world but suggesting that makes some people lose their minds.

Dan,

I am 64 years old — during my lifetime — the world’s population has almost tripled. I’ve noticed the change. The scientific evidence indicates the trends are shifting. However, the worldwide education of women and availability of birth control are the bedrock of a sustainable future.

One of my favorite books:
Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About the World--and Why Things Are Better Than You Think
I completely understand where you're coming from, I respect it, and I get it. That said, I absolutely draw the line at the government...any government, dictating what I can and can not do with my private life. I whole-heartedly support any and all efforts to better manage our resources, educate people with regards to birth control, help people make informed decisions on how they might chose to live their lives, but I will fight tooth and nail if anyone tries to mandate the size of my family. That is a choice between my wife and myself and nobody else has any right to tell me otherwise. Your mileage may vary, and I respect your right to have a different opinion.

Dan

The issue isn't in the West anyway. Essentially all of the developed world is below replacement rate if you exclude immigration. (in some cases far below replacement)

Population control is needed desperately in the undeveloped parts of the world but suggesting that makes some people lose their minds.
Yup...it does. Stay the hell out of my bedroom...PERIOD.

Educate
Distribute contraception
Manage resources

But do not...under any circumstances try to tell my what I can and can not do in the privacy of my own home.

Dan