Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
-But, Red is also associated with the Republican political party. Texas is a very red state. Musk developing an affinity for Texas, in general, and has always leaned libertarian. Maybe he’s duping everyone and becoming left-libertarian?

This is veering into politics, so I'll try to keep it short and neutral. It’s important to note that Texas may not be as red as you think. Here is a map of voting in the 2018 US Senate race. Yes, Texas looks pretty red, but note those islands of blue in the five counties surrounding Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio and Houston. Those five counties accounted for 43% of the Texas popular vote in 2018.

A665B2AC-1691-4146-A0EB-E1FE6D0DF7E3.jpeg

What Really Happened In Texas

Why Texas Is Nearing Battleground Status (It’s Not Just About Beto)

So
And the second most helpful is to not breed. Or at least limit to one child per couple. Overpopulation is the driver behind every environmental problem we have.
I'm supposed to let some government beurocrats tell me how many children I am allowed to have? Uh, yeah, that ain't happening. Sorry. I'll find some other way to help solve the world's problems. Thanks

Dan

So

I'm supposed to let some government beurocrats tell me how many children I am allowed to have? Uh, yeah, that ain't happening. Sorry. I'll find some other way to help solve the world's problems. Thanks

Dan

The facts are our technology base and desire to be sustainable, determine the level of environmental damage.
There is no fixed equation where X number of humans do Y environmental damage, the ideal level for X number of humans is zero environmental damage.

That zero is very hard to attain, but we can get closer, renewable energy, EVs, recycling, sustainable food production, proper rehabilitation of land after mining...

The reason we are far away is all down to greed and priorities... wanting to limit the number of children others can have, is simply another form of greed. Self limiting the number of children you have is, sensible pragmatism..

This is veering into politics, so I'll try to keep it short and neutral. It’s important to note that Texas may not be as red as you think.

For those who may not know, the dominant party in Texas for almost 100 years was the Democratic Party. Texas didn't turn majority Republican until the 1990s.

So

Dan
So

Dan

Dan,

I am 64 years old — during my lifetime — the world’s population has almost tripled. I’ve noticed the change. The scientific evidence indicates the trends are shifting. However, the worldwide education of women and availability of birth control are the bedrock of a sustainable future.

One of my favorite books:
Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About the World--and Why Things Are Better Than You Think

Now that the weekend is coming to an end, may I suggest we leave the political discussion and return to discussing the Market, Tesla, and TSLA?

Thank-you in advance.

Nasdaq 100 Futures - Jun 20
9,181.38 +84.88 +0.93%
01:31:35 EDT May 18, 2020​

Tesla Fremont Gets Green Light From The County To Reopen The Factory

"On Sunday May 17th 2020, Tesla Inc has received the Alameda County approval to reopen the Fremont factory."​

News is lining up for a move this morning, I'd say.

Cheers!

While we're on this off-topic...

The world economy needs a whole lotta disruptions for our species to survive.

Tesla is disrupting Big Auto, Big Oil and (soon) Big Utilities. A little-discussed benefit of Tesla Network and mini-grid batteries (including vehicle-to-grid) will be more financial freedom for many people. When your car and home can generate income, you'll need less from a job. Widespread adoption of these income generators would be something new in the post-subsistence-farming economy, and a baby step toward Universal Basic Income.

SpaceX may be preparing to disrupt Big Media with Starlink. Imagine cheap and ubiquitous Internet service that comes bundled with a Facebook alternative not dependent on advertising (which we know Elon hates). Incentives are important, as Elon says, so removing the incentive to sell audiences to advertisers could change information media dramatically, and hopefully for the better.

That leaves several destructive industries that Elon has not tackled: Big Agriculture, Big Food and Big Pharma. These three horsemen of the apocalypse are interlinked. Animal agriculture contributes more to global warming than transportation, and is the primary source of deadly new viruses and bacteria (bred in factory farms). Roughly 90% of the American diet is animal products and highly processed foods, and this highly unnatural diet is the primary cause of all common chronic diseases and vulnerability to infectious diseases. But Big Pharma is incentivized to promote drug treatment of symptoms instead of dietary elimination of causes, and 80% of antibiotics are sold to factory farms.
Livestock's Long Shadow - Wikipedia
Pandemics: History & Prevention | NutritionFacts.org
US Food Consumption
How Not to Die: An Animated Summary | NutritionFacts.org
Antibiotics in Our Food: What You Should Know | FoodPrint

The result is a population that is tragically sick. Over 70% of American adults are overweight, over 40% obese, and nearly 70% of the middle-aged are taking one or more prescription drugs. The sickness is both physical and mental, since diet affects all organs including the brain. Antidepressant use is up 400% in recent years (to become the second-bestselling class of drugs), and Alzheimer's deaths are up 50%. Yet when a new virus (not the first or last) starts killing the sickest among us (including obese children), governments assault the global economy rather than talk about root causes. Just wait for more drugs and vaccine, says the industry-captured media.
Obesity is a Common, Serious, and Costly Disease
Products - Data Briefs - Number 347 - August 2019
Astounding increase in antidepressant use by Americans - Harvard Health Blog
Prescription Drug Sales by Class - Vaughn's Summaries
Deaths from Alzheimer's Increase 50 Percent | Live Science

What does this have to do with investment? Well, you probably want to live long enough to spend your money, with your mind intact, and have a society to spend it in.

Professor Kant was a product of his time (1724-1804), before computers and robots and AI. But times have changed, and keep changing exponentially. In my vision of a good future, everyone will have freedom to "Do what what you want to do" (without hurting others) while technology does the drudgery. Technology is creating so much wealth for our species that we should be able to afford Universal Basic Income and a decent life for all. Then maybe the monkey mindset of scarcity and hoarding will finally wither away.

But we need to survive long enough to receive that gift.

If you, like Elon, care enough about the future to want it be good, you can do more than support Tesla. The single most helpful thing you can do for the planet and your health is learn how to eat a whole-food plant-based diet. It's really not tough if you put your mind to it, and the personal benefits can be shocking and quick. Lots of programs exist to help you learn. Just google WFPB.

maybe check out MEATRX.com first

Meat and the Environment | MeatRx

Last edited:
I'm not sure what's going on with Elon, we all know he talks about simulations, etc, but I didn't realize this phrase was now connect to Trump and ultra conservatives....

View attachment 542476

I don't think Elon meant the term to be associated with ultra-conservatives. Here's the opening sentence for "Red pill and blue pill" in Wikipedia:
"The red pill and blue pill is a popular meme representing a choice between taking either a "red pill" that reveals an unpleasant truth, or taking a "blue pill" to remain in blissful ignorance. The terms are directly derived from a scene in the 1999 film The Matrix." In that Matrix scene, Morphius offers a red pill to allow an understanding of the reality but such an understanding can be disturbing, or to take the blue pill to wake up in your bed and live in a pleasant simulation.

There's also a lesser used translation of taking the red pill, which means to move to the right politically. Due to the California experience, I think Elon might have been playing with both meanings, but Ivanka Trump clearly had the political reference in mind when she quoted Musk's Tweet. That doesn't mean that Musk was primarily focused on the political, though. In fact I suspect he was not.

The third possible translation involves the red flower (looks like a rose) that is displayed in Elon's Tweet. Red is the color of love and the red rose is a symbol for love. He may have been playing with a third meaning, "choose love".

My guess is that he was playing with the multiple interpretations of the phrase and not making some hard and fast statement.

Don't confuse the history: You said SCTY was profitable. It wasn't.

I said that Musk said SCTY would be cash flow positive within 6 months. It wasn't.

Sorry, I didn't realize I needed to spell this out. Yes, I was being cavalier with my claim about Solar City being profitable, because that wasn't my main point. But just to fill in the details, SC never posted a GAAP profitable quarter due to their investments in growing the business, just like Tesla never did (except for Q1 '13) until after 2018 due to R&D and build-out of the production lines. If Tesla stopped at the model S, they would've been profitable, but wouldn't grow. Solar City too, if they no longer invested in growing their business. In short, Solar City wasn't losing money with every customer they acquired, just like Tesla wasn't losing money with every car they sold.

So do I have evidence for SCTY being profitable, other than the inference made from the SCTY 10-K, no I don't. Does it matter to the litigation? I don't think so.

Man, how long is this stock gonna stay stuck around $800? It seems like it hasn't gone anywhere since last it touched $400.
That would require the words from a roughly 250,000 entry dictionary if the words "every" and "unique" are to be true. Yes, there are that many English words, but most adults only know about 20,000 of them.

Earth land area: ~150B km^2
3x3 m squares in a km^2: ~100,000
squares on land: ~1.5e16
cube root: 246,621

Then there are homonyms, easily confused words, derivations, "antidisestablishmentarianism", "floccinoccinihilipilification"...

OT alarm

I was curious about this. So I asked the people at what3words. This is their answer:

"Hi Johann,

Thanks for getting in touch! We used 40,000 words in the English language, which combines to 57 trillion 3m x 3m squares covering the entire globe.

We don't publish a list of all the words, so this isn't available for download.

Hope this helps settles the debate
DMdj_AyJyTTaPU_HbG7UFC-LZLjJM0cG0jzN2L5rpP4yMAeWq9HMiV7SQ3gjiMtbbdqNa4C3ww5RMajcflSpeNWphOeb-i5sucBBjc_ieFNdKgg1oK5h_2qi_axqbH3of8DCXrs=s0-d-e1-ft
Any more questions, please do fire away.

All the best,

Molly
--
what3words | what3words.com
///filled.count.soap "

That is a lot of words. But I would guess
floccinoccinihilipilification is not necessary. ;)

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    137 bytes · Views: 35
My guess is that he was playing with the multiple interpretations of the phrase and not making some hard and fast statement.
And there's another couple interpretations, one of them related to the right-wing political meaning (really, where the right-wing meaning came from).

"Men's right's activists" (who really advocate against women's rights far more than advocating for their own rights) use it to basically mean believing their anti-feminist ideas.

...which makes the next interpretation especially ironic, that speculates that the writers of The Matrix were using the red pill as a metaphor for realizing that they were both transgender women.

It is cool that one of the CREZ lines seems to shoot right into the Austin area, but it may not really matter.

As @bkp_duke and @jerry33 have pointed out, privately owned electricity providers competitively serve load on the ERCOT grid. The competitive retailers are the middle-men between the customer and the providers. If a customer wants 100% renewable energy, the retailer finds renewable providers that serve load on the grid at good rates and pays them for the load used by the customer. The customer pays the retailer.

IOW, it doesn’t matter where you extract the electrons from the grid, the provider of choice can be paid for what they contributed.

At least, this is my understanding.
That's pretty much it, although you don't really get to choose which renewable energy provider is used, just that you get energy from one of the renewable providers. At least I've never seen where the retailer shows which actual provider is used--although I suppose you could ask.

Reactions: Prunesquallor