Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to keep you guys updated, ValueAnalyst is now apparently very mad about any insiders selling(Jerome sold 4,000 shares......such a massive amount :rolleyes:).

And he's even more mad that Tesla insider's haven't bought shares on the open market. Apparently this means bad things are coming for Tesla shareholder :eek:.......:rolleyes:

It's like he seems to think Tesla insiders should act differently than the vast majority of insiders at other companies who also do not buy shares on the open market. He seemingly or should I say coincidentally forgets that Tesla insiders were selling shares back in the 200's just last year, around this exact time......before ya know the stock tripled

Edit: I love how he ignores that someone called him out on his nonsense with one post https://twitter.com/jpbedardarcand/status/1268362462736330752/photo/1

Multiple insider sells in the 200's leading into Aug 2019, right before the share price took off.

Just to keep you guys updated, ValueAnalyst is now apparently very mad about any insiders selling(Jerome sold 4,000 shares......such a massive amount :rolleyes:).

And he's even more mad that Tesla insider's haven't bought shares on the open market. Apparently this means bad things are coming for Tesla shareholder :eek:.......:rolleyes:

It's like he seems to think Tesla insiders should act differently than the vast majority of insiders at other companies who also do not buy shares on the open market. He seemingly or should I say coincidentally forgets that Tesla insiders were selling shares back in the 200's just last year, around this exact time......before ya know the stock tripled

Edit: I love how he ignores that someone called him out on his nonsense with one post https://twitter.com/jpbedardarcand/status/1268362462736330752/photo/1

Multiple insider sells in the 200's leading into Aug 2019, right before the share price took off.
That is what happens when a person buys a ticket but misses the show.

20 years ago someone tells you about a company that will build a electric car company with a world wide charging network.
This company will also build the largest battery factory in the world.
They will grow faster than any other car company.

The head of this company will also build orbital reusable rockets.
That company will design and deploy a world wide satellite high speed network.
They will also be the first commercial private company to fly astronauts to the space station.

You would be laughed out of the room for suggesting any of this.

Watching the latest starlink mission I am reminded how amazing it is I can invest with a company run by such an amazing man.

Yes I am a full on Elon Musk fan boy....how can I not be!

Model Y deliveries to start this month in Canada.

Tesla Will Start To Deliver Model Y In Canada Later This Month

I think this is an appropriate response when supply outstrips demand in US, better to continue shipping the high margin LR & Performance models than to start shipping SR+ versions.

Interesting update for sure. Either they started producing a million model Ys per week or they are just trying to build up the delivery pipeline because customers are not taking deliveries.

I think Zach mentioned in the earnings call that Q1 was shaping out to be their best quarter ever for deliveries. The backlog obviously exists but I wonder if we are seeing more and more people delaying delivery because of COVID-19. The good news is the Y ramp up seems to be going great.

Model Y deliveries to start this month in Canada.

Tesla Will Start To Deliver Model Y In Canada Later This Month

I think this is an appropriate response when supply outstrips demand in US, better to continue shipping the high margin LR & Performance models than to start shipping SR+ versions.

I would have thought there would have been so much US demand for even the LR/P models that Canada would be a ways off yet. Interesting.

• Disagree
Reactions: UncaNed
I would have thought there would have been so much US demand for even the LR/P models that Canada would be a ways off yet. Interesting.

While I'm not going to ignore any signs of demand issues (this could be a sign that Covid is hitting demand for the higher end models), this was from the Vancouver BC location. Considering the proximity of Vancouver to San Fran, it's quicker to get high spec'd Model Y's to Vancouver in time for Q2 over the east coast.

I'm also dying to know what their weekly production rate is on the Y.

That is what happens when a person buys a ticket but misses the show.
Value analyst has always been the same. Picks up some idea and runs 10 kilometres down the road with it before stopping to think. He flamed out on this board over some other silly idea a few years back.

Just more noise in the echo chamber.

yup stock market is forward looking .... I think you are helping making my point .... the market IMHO is detached from reality ... it is not rational... that is precisely the definition of a bubble or a castle in the air... for the rise to continue unfettered the thesis has to be looking forward everything goes back to what is was pre-covid ... in fact better than it was pre-covid.... the upslope of the V continues to rise ...

I just don't see it ... macro environment will have an impact on Tesla at some point ... Tesla is better positioned than competitors and i will continue to invest ... but you cant say that TSLA is insulated from the macro environment ... at least not yet ....

i feel like we are actually talking about investing i am loving the debate :rolleyes:

It is wrong to think that all businesses, market segments, and people are impacted the same way in any depression/recession.

In the Great Depression of the 1930's, Hollywood grew enormously as movies now had sound and were an affordable entertainment option. Proctor & Gamble stepped up advertising, including producing its own radio shows, and kept sales up while competitors slumped.

Today's there a big difference between running an airline and running a video conferencing company, between running retail stores and a SaaS business. Between running a movie theater and SVOD. We've seen a huge shift in how people work and live, and while things will not stay the way they are today, they also won't go back to what they were previously. The shift to virtual and online environments was happening anyway, and the lockdowns have accelerated that shift.

There are winners and losers and it's incorrect to characterize what's happening today as affecting everyone and every business the same.

The market is completely detached from reality. The bubble may burst, or can go on indefinitely, with movements expanding and contracting to and from economic reality. No one knows.

Tesla still has auto sales as its core revenue generator. Yes in the future that may change, but currently that is fact. There has been anecdotal talk here of no deals on new cars from Ford etc. This is true, but will change as the supply changes. Things shutdown. The supply of new cars dried up. But the supply of used vehicles is increasing. Hence where things are currently reflected in, is the used car market. Prices are dropping. As someone who bought an used X in February, and scoured ev.cpo daily for a long time, I know for fact used tesla prices have already dropped. People are turning their leases in or trying to get out of them contributing to more used supply. Car rental companies, either going bankrupt or on their way, are adding to that supply as well. Some predictions say used car prices might drop another 20 to 30 per cent this year.

Tesla is not insulated from this. In my opinion this is the real reason they dropped prices recently. Trying to stay ahead of somewhat decrease in demand, and the potential for more. Fact of matter is few people are tesla fanatics like us. Few people dig deep into EV driving, and if they have been driving ICE their whole life, and now can scoop up a 2 year old vehicle for historically the price of that same vehicle being 4 or 5 years old, they will be more than happy to do so, especially if gas is cheap. On top of that people are driving way less, and as workplaces transition, this may remain the case permanently, thus decreasing vehicle turnover. in my opinion this situation slows transition to electric driving and does not accelerate it.

Realize I am not saying the future is not bright, but Tsla goes up, Tsla goes down. I would be somewhat surprised to not see a dip after Q2, and if a second wave of COVID hits hard in the fall, the v-shaped recovery we are in, will splinter and Tsla will be pulled down, as new cars will not be purchased in the relative strength they would of been.

So that’s where I stand. Been a while since I have held no options, but too risky for me in these strange times. I say after q2 we will see the 700’s again. The fall all depends on vaccines, treatments, and outbreaks. To look at the minutiae of tesla during this time, while giving insight, will not protect from where the world happens to be.

Can someone confirm that Tesla current offers a sub-40k euros model 3 in Germany that will qualify for the 9,000 euro subsidy? Looking at the German version of Tesla.com it currently lists the cheapest Model 3 at 43,990 euros. Is the 40,000 euro limit before or after VAT?

The SR+ is at 44,970 € inkl. 19% VAT, delivery and 3k bonus. That makes it 37,789 € net price and with that, it's qualified for the new bonus and reduced private usage tax of 0.25% per month of the sales price (instead of 0.5% before for EV and 1.0% for ICE cars). This makes EVs very interesting for business.

Final price for the SR+ in Germany is now 31,789 € net for business buyers. And 37,836 € incl. (reduced) VAT for private buyers.

Last edited:
An interesting article from bloomberg on the progress of GigaBerlin.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

from the article:
  • Tesla Inc. will rework plans for its factory near Berlin to appease environmental critics and ensure its first European outpost can start producing cars in about a year, a senior local government official said.
  • new blueprints to be presented this week or next will address some of those concerns by reducing the amount of fresh water required and waste water created, said Joerg Steinbach, the economy minister in the state of Brandenburg, where the facility will be located. Following an eight-week process of public review and response, an open hearing will take place by early September, he added.
  • BASF SE in the southern part of the state, for example, plans to make cathodes for electric batteries from 2022, employing 2000 workers. Before the end of the year, Steinbach hopes to announce at least two more companies setting up shop, but he declined to specify in which industries.

Comments from Joerg Steinbach, the economy minister in the state of Brandenburg:

• [in dealing with Musk] “It requires a lot of flexibility,” said Steinbach, adding that Tesla’s unconventional business practices sometimes clash with Germans’ propensity for highly structured planning. “I find out-of-the box great, but at some point it becomes exhausting.”
  • Even so, nothing should stand in the way of creating a new auto-industry hub just outside of the nation’s capital now, the 64-year old trained chemist says.
  • “I think we’re now past the point of no return,” Steinbach said.