Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone attempted to model out an estimate of cash needs for capex over the next few years building up on a per project basis rather than a % of either current capex or some other ratio? The reason I ask it that it feels like there needs to be a pretty rapid expansion in capex spending to meet all the upcoming expansion plans. I think we've had it a bit easy with the Chinese expansion as they've just been handing out free money so it's probably not a good baseline assumption for cash needs on upcoming expansion plans.

The following items need to either be completed or well under construction within the next 2 years:
  • Fremont
    • Ramp model Y production
  • GigaNevada
    • Ramp cell production for the semi
    • Ramp powertrain production for the semi
  • GigaBerlin
    • Complete Y factory
    • Complete cell factory
    • Localise supply chain with probably seat and powertrain factory
    • start next phases for (probably 3 & semi) along with required local supply chain (batteries/seats/ powertrain)
  • Giga"Texas"
    • Giant battery cell production plant
    • capacity for c.500k MY, 250k CT, 50k Semi (guess numbers)
  • Global/other
    • Supercharger rollout
    • Megacharger rollout
    • battery storage (from powerwall to megapack)
    • Solar roof production expansion
I'm sure there's other items that I've missed (e.g. ridesharing program, unannounced products, etc) but all of the above sounds like it will cost far more to produce than the low single digit billions tesla has been spending on capex over the last couple of years.

This article provides a strong clue of what we might expect after Battery Day:- (assuming it is accurate)

Tesla Orders EV Battery Production Equipment From South Korea's Hanwha Group - FutureCar.com - via @FutureCar_Media

Hanwha's battery formation equipment will initially be supplied to Tesla's Fremont, California factory then to the company's gigafactory in Nevada, followed by Germany and China, according to South Korean news site TheElec.

So cell production in China, also motor production with a new building being built.
I've also read something that implies solar roof production in China.

They may get loans to cover most / all of the Chinese expansion...

Capex spend peaked at around $4B in 2017 ... to hit that level of expenditure while spending efficiently, they need to be in a phase of rapid expansion.... all indications are that is happening.
So $4B Capex spend per year, for the next few years, would not overly surprise me.

Last edited:
You are one of the lucky ones already :) It'd be nice to just SC for maybe 10 minutes to get that extra charge if you are in a pinch. I charge at home 99% of the time as well, but we are all about the instant gratification right? Good luck to all this week!!

If Christine is "one of the lucky ones" for being able to charge at home, then, as a whole, us Tesla owners must be some pretty lucky SOB's! ;)

Cause last I checked, most of us had electricity.

And, yes, please don't tell me about the minority of people who have an issue getting the electricity to their parking space.

Reactions: UncaNed
This article provides a strong clue of what we might expect after Battery Day:- (assuming it is accurate)

Tesla Orders EV Battery Production Equipment From South Korea's Hanwha Group - FutureCar.com - via @FutureCar_Media

Hanwha's battery formation equipment will initially be supplied to Tesla's Fremont, California factory then to the company's gigafactory in Nevada, followed by Germany and China, according to South Korean news site TheElec.

This is huge! We knew it was coming but now it's not speculation! The increased volumes possible with a battery plant in each car factory is the biggest deal. But even if Tesla can make batteries only as cost-efficiently as their suppliers, their margins will now include all the profit from the battery making. And who amongst us thinks Tesla will not have quicker, more modern production methods that put their current battery suppliers to shame? I'm thinking they have some pretty compelling space/speed/cost efficiencies if they are willing to install production equipment in the Fremont plant rather than continuing to ship them across the mountains from the Nevada plant.

"Vertically Integrated" just keeps sounding better and better.

Edit: I just noticed the article doesn't specify whether it's the machinery to make the batteries or just test them at the end of production. So, I guess it's still speculation!

This is huge!

It also isn't new. That article is from more than a month ago, and has been discussed here before.

Edit: I just noticed the article doesn't specify whether it's the machinery to make the batteries or just test them at the end of production. So, I guess it's still speculation!

I doubt you will see much in terms of Tesla placing orders for the other equipment to manufacture batteries because they already bought the companies that make the equipment: Maxwell and HiBar. (I seem to recall a rumor of them buying another battery cell related company in Colorado but I never saw definitive information about that.)

And of course there is Tesla Grohman to help them with the necessary equipment.

This is huge! We knew it was coming but now it's not speculation! The increased volumes possible with a battery plant in each car factory is the biggest deal. But even if Tesla can make batteries only as cost-efficiently as their suppliers, their margins will now include all the profit from the battery making. And who amongst us thinks Tesla will not have quicker, more modern production methods that put their current battery suppliers to shame? I'm thinking they have some pretty compelling space/speed/cost efficiencies if they are willing to install production equipment in the Fremont plant rather than continuing to ship them across the mountains from the Nevada plant.

"Vertically Integrated" just keeps sounding better and better.

The equipment is for "battery formation" which is an initial charge phase which lays down the SEI layer...

I've been watching enough YouTube battery videos to almost understand it.. :)

When Panasonic or some one else is making cells my hunch is they do "battery formation", any cell which fails this step is a dud and would need to be recycled... So my hunch at GF1 is Panasonic does "battery formation" and passes cells to Tesla who retest them....

I would not say it is 100% conclusive, but IMO it is a strong indication that Tesla are making their own cells.

I also assume (very speculative) 2170 cells from Panasonic are enough for 700 Model 3 + 500 Model Y per day.
If GA5 opens and Telsa is making another 500 Model Y per day maybe this will be with new Roadrunner cells... (this is based on twitter rumours which may or may not be right)

Similarly new Roadrunner cells at GF Nevada are very likely to be for the Semi.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Christine69420
929D162B-4E16-4E64-B671-8D89E26EC3F6.jpeg

Anecdotal intel.

Ran into a truck unloading cars in FL, car was manufactured 6/7 and driver said he left Fremont on 6/9, unloading in FL today. On his way back for another load. There was 1 MS, 3 M3 and 2 MY.

Was able to verify the cars on the truck were already sold.

IMO, pretty quick trip...

Fire Away!
(It’s STILL, the batteries, Stupid)

Anyone else concerned about the macros? I dumped my nonsense stocks last week on the first red day, happy I did. I'm considering dumping the rest along with some TSLA and get to just my core TSLA holdings. TSLA and cash, that's it. I didn't hold any TSLA during the last dip but that was simply too stressful not to have stock in the greatest company in a century. The tax consequences are irrelevant for me. I, obviously, understand that battery day is coming and what I see to be a positive Q2 surprise. My concerns are a lowering tide lowers all ships and the possibility of the county / CA start talking about locking down again. Of course it's said there's no political will for that but already Houston and NY have discussed it in recent days.

I'm a Tesla bull all the way, I bought the dip Friday and would be taking a loss on that if I made a drastic move. I sold during the last dip at $700 and was glad I did. My goal is to get as many shares as possible but I don't have near infinite funds to play with.

I simply feel, short term, the risk reward ratio is a tough one. I see it far more likely to go down 40% than up 40%. I'm talking two week range. Also, I think the possibility of a second wave will scare away many of the Robinhood types and other retails that don't truly know this company.

Please don't give me *sugar* about this question, quote with witty useless "just hold no matter what", or FTFY me to death. Thanks. lol

Last edited:
Anyone else concerned about the macros? I dumped my nonsense stocks last week in the first red day, happy I did. I'm considering dumping the rest along with some TSLA and get to just my core TSLA holdings. TSLA and cash, that's it. I didn't hold any TSLA during the last dip but that was simply too stressful not to have stock in the greatest company in a century. The tax consequences are irrelevant for me. I, obviously, understand that battery day us coming and what I see to be a positive Q2 surprise. My concerns are a lowering tide lowers all ships and the possibility of the county / CA start talking about locking down again. Of course it's said there's no political will for that but already Houston and NY have discussed it in recent days.

I'm a Tesla bull all the way, I bought the dip Friday and would be taking a loss on that if I made a drastic move. I sold during the last dip at $700 and was glad I did. My goal is to get as many shares as possible but I don't have near infinite funds to play with.

I simply feel, short term, the risk reward ratio is a tough one. I see it far more likely to go down 40% than up 40%. I'm talking two week range. Also, I think the possibility of a second wave will scare away many of the Robinhood types and other retails that don't truly know this company.

Please don't give me *sugar* about this question, quote with witty useless "just hold no matter what", or FTFY me to death. Thanks. lol

Tricky times for sure. Relevant to one of your issues, Alameda County announced yesterday that next Saturday it will take the next step to open up, including opening up outdoor dining, indoor and outdoor retail, as well as indoor religious services for up to 100 people. It is the last of the Bay Area counties to take these steps.

Erica Pan explained why:

The indicators we monitor to determine if we should continue moving forward through reopening are stable or improving,” said Alameda County Health Officer Dr. Erica Pan in a prepared statement. “We will continue to have more cases, but the steady increase in hospitalizations and the steep increase in the case rate we were seeing in late May has slowed and the hospitalizations have stabilized. We are also making significant progress in expanding and improving the efficiency of our contact tracing teams.”​

Alameda County To Reopen Outdoor Dining, Houses Of Worship, Indoor Retail Next Week

Oddly enough, none of the regular Tesla reporting crew has mentioned anything about this, even though it has been widely reported in the Bay Area and I believe the most active reporters all live in Alameda County.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
View attachment 551544
Anecdotal intel.

Ran into a truck unloading cars in FL, car was manufactured 6/7 and driver said he left Fremont on 6/9, unloading in FL today. On his way back for another load. There was 1 MS, 3 M3 and 2 MY.

Was able to verify the cars on the truck were already sold.

IMO, pretty quick trip...

Fire Away!
(It’s STILL, the batteries, Stupid)
Great intel, so this week's production is probably the last call for the East coast people

Reactions: phantasms
If Christine is "one of the lucky ones" for being able to charge at home, then, as a whole, us Tesla owners must be some pretty lucky SOB's! ;)

Cause last I checked, most of us had electricity.

And, yes, please don't tell me about the minority of people who have an issue getting the electricity to their parking space.
I was referring to her having a SC 5 min from her residence...not referencing her as being lucky to be able to charge at home.

Reactions: lafrisbee
Anyone else concerned about the macros? I dumped my nonsense stocks last week on the first red day, happy I did. I'm considering dumping the rest along with some TSLA and get to just my core TSLA holdings. TSLA and cash, that's it. I didn't hold any TSLA during the last dip but that was simply too stressful not to have stock in the greatest company in a century. The tax consequences are irrelevant for me. I, obviously, understand that battery day is coming and what I see to be a positive Q2 surprise. My concerns are a lowering tide lowers all ships and the possibility of the county / CA start talking about locking down again. Of course it's said there's no political will for that but already Houston and NY have discussed it in recent days.

So you're asking if TSLA will drop big in the next two weeks so you can get in lower before the "positive Q2 surprise." And your concerns are...

1) Fremont shutdown
Remember what happened last quarter? Tesla resisted shutting down Fremont until the last week when they'd already produced all the cars they could deliver that quarter. They could do that again, even if the county was demanding a shutdown, which they aren't.

2) Second wave
Second wave of what? My understanding is Covid cases are rising in some areas (for unclear reasons because testing is increasing), but won't it take two weeks for deaths to rise (if they do)? By then you'll have your Q2 surprise.

My "witty useless" advice is that selling TSLA to buy lower in the next two weeks is extremely risky, because positive news (and negative) comes without warning at any time. Just last week was the Semi surprise and probably three other things I've already forgotten. Will something spook retail investors? No doubt. Then other news and FOMO will reverse the dip the next day. So you could ask yourself...

Last edited: