Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else concerned about the macros? I dumped my nonsense stocks last week on the first red day, happy I did. I'm considering dumping the rest along with some TSLA and get to just my core TSLA holdings. TSLA and cash, that's it. I didn't hold any TSLA during the last dip but that was simply too stressful not to have stock in the greatest company in a century. The tax consequences are irrelevant for me. I, obviously, understand that battery day is coming and what I see to be a positive Q2 surprise. My concerns are a lowering tide lowers all ships and the possibility of the county / CA start talking about locking down again. Of course it's said there's no political will for that but already Houston and NY have discussed it in recent days.

I'm a Tesla bull all the way, I bought the dip Friday and would be taking a loss on that if I made a drastic move. I sold during the last dip at $700 and was glad I did. My goal is to get as many shares as possible but I don't have near infinite funds to play with.

I simply feel, short term, the risk reward ratio is a tough one. I see it far more likely to go down 40% than up 40%. I'm talking two week range. Also, I think the possibility of a second wave will scare away many of the Robinhood types and other retails that don't truly know this company.

Please don't give me *sugar* about this question, quote with witty useless "just hold no matter what", or FTFY me to death. Thanks. lol
Decide a core amount, get there and relax. Everytime I sell shares, I wonder when to get back in. Then I miss the next bump.
I'm pissed I sold along the way in heinsight, but was also comfortable in this pocket. Also what helps is to remember those days you missed timing it, then imagine if that happened again... sick taste?
We might all get a haircut, but if you dont stick your neck out a bit by holding, it is 100% certain you won't be in the victory circle with the rest of us. Any other stock is not as deserving of support. I only hold TSLA. IRA is 50% cash (highest ever), 30% stock, and 2 Options both deep and max leaps in 22. Sold a bit last week for the possible sale. Let her rip either way, Ill just load up more if it gets real bad. But cash out now? No way.

Anyone else concerned about the macros? I dumped my nonsense stocks last week on the first red day, happy I did. I'm considering dumping the rest along with some TSLA and get to just my core TSLA holdings. TSLA and cash, that's it. I didn't hold any TSLA during the last dip but that was simply too stressful not to have stock in the greatest company in a century. The tax consequences are irrelevant for me. I, obviously, understand that battery day is coming and what I see to be a positive Q2 surprise. My concerns are a lowering tide lowers all ships and the possibility of the county / CA start talking about locking down again. Of course it's said there's no political will for that but already Houston and NY have discussed it in recent days.

I'm a Tesla bull all the way, I bought the dip Friday and would be taking a loss on that if I made a drastic move. I sold during the last dip at $700 and was glad I did. My goal is to get as many shares as possible but I don't have near infinite funds to play with.

I simply feel, short term, the risk reward ratio is a tough one. I see it far more likely to go down 40% than up 40%. I'm talking two week range. Also, I think the possibility of a second wave will scare away many of the Robinhood types and other retails that don't truly know this company.

Please don't give me *sugar* about this question, quote with witty useless "just hold no matter what", or FTFY me to death. Thanks. lol
Personally I am most interested in finding long term value that will hold up when the chips are landing in coming years.

Tesla I don’t worry about and am not that concerned about the dips. So, I’ll just keep holding that. Perhaps I will buy more if there is a real drop. However, I’d be kicking myself around the block if I were to sell, then buy back and somehow wind up with fewer shares.

Tesla and TSLA are the least of my worries at the moment. I’ve no intention of making any changes there. I guess that is not what you want to hear, but there is plenty more for me to look at and try to make sense of.

Also, it may well be that there are or will be many opportunities in less popular and obvious investments. That is, there may be an opportunity cost in which we are wasting time and likely shares attempting to over-optimize our TSLA holdings for us longs.

Last edited:
Just last week was the Semi surprise and probably three other things I've already forgotten.

Speaking of surprises, just hours ago...

1) Starlink terminal setup will have two instructions: plug in and point at sky.
2) Elon is already planning version 2 satellites at lower altitude, with less than half the already tiny latency time.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1272256986147504130

Do you feel lucky betting against this man? :)

I guess you have to ask yourself, "Am I an investor or a stock trader?".

Once you answer that question you will know what to do. Somehow I think this is not a question that Ron Baron, one of the most successful investors of all time (and a very large holder of TSLA), is asking himself right now. I wonder how he amassed his billions? Legend has it that he didn't start doing well until he stopped the short-term trading and held stocks he had conviction in for the long-term.

Every time I consider the macro economic situation, I’m overcome by the thought of election year strategies. Certainly, Donald Trump will pull every lever within his reach, to bolster the economy and stock market. Will there be day to day swings? No doubt. However, I’m pretty sure the market will hold up between now and November.

It’s been said that politics are strange bedfellows. We’ll see.

I guess you have to ask yourself, "Am I an investor or a stock trader?".

Once you answer that question you will know what to do. Somehow I think this is not a question that Ron Baron, one of the most successful investors of all time (and a very large holder of TSLA), is asking himself right now. I wonder how he amassed his billions? Legend has it that he didn't start doing well until he stopped the short-term trading and held stocks he had conviction in for the long-term.
I’d say you’d have to consider yourself a mentalist to think you’ll be able to predict the short term action of most any stock’s chart over the coming 6 months but most especially TSLA’s. :confused:

Reactions: StealthP3D
https://twitter.com/garyblack00/status/1271791093714206721

Skeptics looking at this wrongly as a normal recession. It’s a “flash recession” similar to after 1918 pandemic, 1968 pandemic, 9/11. Flash recessions characterized by “revenge consumption” (Jun’20 credit card spending near Jun’19 levels) + instant Fed put and fiscal stimulus.

First time I have ever encountered the term “revenge consumption” ...

Last edited:

For sure there are going to be a lot of interesting business opportunities in the autonomous future.

A driverless hotel room that can drive you from Paris to Monaco overnight could be a cheap alternative to flying. Although it would likely make most sense for trips to and from more remote locations.

Another example is mobile coffee shops. Imagine a Starbucks owned Tesla vehicle that will serve you coffee on the way to the airport.

Or perhaps a Tinder Tesla that allows you to go on a date during your morning commute.

Or an Activision Blizzard Tesla in which you can play video games during your commute.

There's a ton of possbilities to re-imagine transportation when people no longer have to drive the car.

I think Tesla does both. In general, they ship cars to Europe via the Panama Canal. But at the end of quarters, they also send some across the US via train to ship to Europe from the East Coast. I believe that is faster but more expensive.

I think here is where I believe Tesla missed a trick by closing down the rail line/spur they had in Freemont factory. They could have loaded right into the train, unloaded/loaded right into RoRo in Boston and off to Europe. Would have cut down 10 days in shipping time and bet some costs too. Of course, fix the damn freight rail network in this country to make a cross country from SF to Boston/NY in less than 4 days.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
I think here is where I believe Tesla missed a trick by closing down the rail line/spur they had in Freemont factory. They could have loaded right into the train, unloaded/loaded right into RoRo in Boston and off to Europe. Would have cut down 10 days in shipping time and bet some costs too. Of course, fix the damn freight rail network in this country to make a cross country from SF to Boston/NY in less than 4 days.

Yeah, the share price would probably be at least $30 higher right now if Elon was humble enough to read this board and take tips from some of our brightest! /s

OK who's kid did this

IMG-20200614-WA0000.jpg

If we go by the same timeline to be the same as the 2008 recession. We are probably in 2007 right now. When the first wave of default hit subprime lenders like countrywide.

No one has gone belly up yet and no domino in the derivative market has occurred yet. I think tge most likely knock on effect are commercial re and CLO as we never expected so many industries to be hit at tge same time.

Funny how both recessions happened in just the right way to hit the asset bubble that assumes some event will never happen.

Tesla deploys new Megapacks at 'WindCharger' project - Electrek

Simple machines — such as the lever, the wheel & axle, the block & tackle, and the screw — multiply mechanical advantage. In the same sense, energy storage multiplies the advantage of renewable energy — such as wind and solar — expanding their window of use and the types of loads that they can serve. This advantage can be used at the residential, commercial, industrial, and utility levels of generation and load management.

Most stock analysts have not grasped the breadth of this disruption, in my opinion. Tesla is not a car company, nor a tech company. Tesla is an “Energy Dominion” company.

JB Leonard

Last edited: