Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The lack of loading docks on Phase 2 is remarkable. Where are the general assembly lines going to be? Or are they going to vertically integrate everything on-site?
There's speculation that the additional floor of phase 2 is for loading parts.

Technically vertical integration still

Tesla gets revenue from the sales of regulatory creditis in North America and Europe regardless of whether they build a factory or not.

Tesla is getting about $300M in incentives to build Giga Berlin from the various German governments.

Additionally Tesla is spending ~$4B to build Giga Berlin. Those monies are not coming German government backed low interest loans. As the originally poster suggested low interest government loans could be used in lieu of a capital raise.

Local and national Chinese government backed low interest loans are funding construction of Giga Shanghai but that doesn't seem to be the case elsewhere. It seems here in the US local and State governments are willing to give ~$1B in tax rebates/credits to get a Gigafactory(Terrafactory) built in their area.
I took his point to mean that the regulatory credits are being used to not just fund the new factories but it to speed up the process. Allows for a more aggressive schedule than without. Of course a funding raise might do the same thing but at a higher cost.

Has anyone attempted to model out an estimate of cash needs for capex over the next few years building up on a per project basis rather than a % of either current capex or some other ratio? The reason I ask it that it feels like there needs to be a pretty rapid expansion in capex spending to meet all the upcoming expansion plans. I think we've had it a bit easy with the Chinese expansion as they've just been handing out free money so it's probably not a good baseline assumption for cash needs on upcoming expansion plans.

The following items need to either be completed or well under construction within the next 2 years:
  • Fremont
    • Ramp model Y production
  • GigaNevada
    • Ramp cell production for the semi
    • Ramp powertrain production for the semi
  • GigaBerlin
    • Complete Y factory
    • Complete cell factory
    • Localise supply chain with probably seat and powertrain factory
    • start next phases for (probably 3 & semi) along with required local supply chain (batteries/seats/ powertrain)
  • Giga"Texas"
    • Giant battery cell production plant
    • capacity for c.500k MY, 250k CT, 50k Semi (guess numbers)
  • Global/other
    • Supercharger rollout
    • Megacharger rollout
    • battery storage (from powerwall to megapack)
    • Solar roof production expansion
I'm sure there's other items that I've missed (e.g. ridesharing program, unannounced products, etc) but all of the above sounds like it will cost far more to produce than the low single digit billions tesla has been spending on capex over the last couple of years.

You forgot the one of the most important points........

Building a supercharger within 5 minutes of everyone on this thread's residence :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

You forgot the one of the most important points........

Building a supercharger within 5 minutes of everyone on this thread's residence :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

But why? I much prefer to charge at home. And I can walk to my nearest supercharger in less than 5 minutes. And I have free supercharging.

If we go for far out requests then I'd prefer a Service Centre close by with valet car cleaning services. :p:p:p

Plan B

I was able to get free $700-800c jun18 2020 a few months ago by using spread based strangles, but the numbers for that don’t work anymore.

So a few weeks ago when TSLA was between $700 and $800, I purchased a bunch of Jan 2022 900/930 bull call spreads for $8 each to try a variation of what @KarenRei did.

The goal is to improve the 900/930 value by selling incrementally as the price goes up, and buying an incrementally better spread at the same price when the SP goes down. As the SP goes back and forth, I should eventually own either some pure naked calls for free, or make some money.

To be specific, I’m selling 10% each time the spread goes $1 higher. When the SP or volatility falls, I’ll buy back at the same price I sold, but at a more advantageous spread of 800/830c instead, or maybe 850/880.

Then repeat the process like this: 900/930 -> 800/830 -> 900/940 -> 800/840...

The goal is to eventually own some naked 2022 calls for “free” that have been financed by TSLAs volatility. So far, the SP has only gone up so I’ve sold 40% of the 900-930c spreads at $9, $10, $11, and $12. Technically I’m 25% ahead on what sold. I want to stay cash neutral though, so I have open orders to buy back 800/830c at 12, 11, 10, and 9 in the event of pullbacks.

It’s possible that TSLA just keeps going up, in which case I’ll net just 50%. That’s not the worst thing in the world though. Some other points worth noting:

1. The gap between 900/930 and 800/830 may be too much. I might need to change the buyback to 850/880 so I can execute more trades around volatility.

2. If I could do it all over without knowing whether TSLA was going up or down in the short term, I’d have started with fewer but wider spreads. Eg. starting with 900/950 instead of 900/930.

Considerable money spent at the end to keep it below $940 - and good for me, I'll have 100 shiny new shares to write covered calls :cool:

I am thinking about writing covered calls and I just don't see a big downside to doing this. Can someone educate in a possible bad out come? What I am thinking about doing is selling weekly covered calls $300-200 OTM and collect $200-100 weekly. I am fine with the low premiums since I am planning to hold my shares for 10 years and I am always afraid to sell the shares and miss a big rally. $300-200 per week should give me enough room under most circumstances. Any thoughts?

"Naked calls" typically means selling calls without holding the shares (meaning you're obligated to buy the shares and hand them over if the option is exercised), as opposed to "covered calls" covering the obligation with already owning the shares.

Sounds like you're buying calls, which gives you no obligation to be either covered or naked in relation to.

I am thinking about writing covered calls and I just don't see a big downside to doing this. Can someone educate in a possible bad out come? What I am thinking about doing is selling weekly covered calls $300-200 OTM and collect $200-100 weekly. I am fine with the low premiums since I am planning to hold my shares for 10 years and I am always afraid to sell the shares and miss a big rally. $300-200 per week should give me enough room under most circumstances. Any thoughts?

Covered calls for TSLA are not appealing to me because of the limited gains they offer on a stock that's very volatile. Similarly, naked calls are not appealing at this point when TSLA SP is near an ATH and volatility makes the premiums very expensive.

For writing covered calls, if TSLA goes way up, the shares get taken away. If TSLA goes down a lot, you lose value. It wouldn't be surprising for both to happen.

I just posted about call spreads vs calls, which compares call spreads with calls (and touches on covered calls). You might want to look into those.

Weekend O.T.

Mapping the Global Migration of Millionaires

hnwi-migration-2019-1.png

Yeah, covered calls are risky. I had some for this last Friday at $975 strike, which was comfortably above the SP when I wrote them, but then with the huge gains early this week, they were suddenly ITM. As it was, I was able to buy them back at a small loss, thanks to the manipulations. Of course this was in my core-shares account, which I just try to HODL, with a bot of covered calls.

In my trading account it's different There I find it very comfortable to sell puts, then if they exercise, sell calls against those shares. It has proven very profitable in combination with LEAPS.

For those who where thinking there was just the Grand Venus sailing to Europe with new Tesla's, there's even a second ship full with Tesla's heading Europe!
The Grand Venus has left San Francisco May 26th and will arrive June 18th in Zeebrugge.

But now I've seen that Silver Ray has left New York June 5th and will arrive in about 12 hours in Zeebrugge!
So thats good news for the Q2 delivery numbers!

Why is a ship with Teslas to Europe leaving from NY? And how did the cars get to NY from Freemont in the first place? Train? Did you mean 12 days to Zeebrugge from NY?

As a thought experiment, for customers in US Eastern seaboard, is it quicker and cheaper to ship them via RoRo ships via panama canal, or are you better off shipping them via road or train? If is it the latter, then don't you think that is the best way to ship to Europe too? Ship to Boston via train and then load it in ship to from Boston to Zeeburgge?

Reactions: UncaNed