Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
You are literally taking years off your life worrying about this BS. Aren't you a couple of hundred million rich from this already? Go buy an island and chill before getting a stroke one day. The rest of us are not this wealthy therefore grinding through the gauntlet of Tesla exuberance and pain.
To be fair I must comment.
In my experience owning an island is far more stressful than it is stress-relieving. Managing water supply assuming salt water surrounds the island in question) electricity, supplies and repairs is not for the faint hearted. A couple decades of island ownership did provide some excellent experiences for me, but having to fly my own airplane to get close enough for a boat, doing all the maintenance and paying import duties for every little thing made it an interminable hassle. Obviously, if one can choose an island less remote than was mine does give some relief from the hassles.

Enduring the travails of an investor are vastly easier IMHO. At least one manages to make independent decisions, live with the consequences and not have much interference in doing so. Just as in an island the capital gains can be deferred indefinitely. In both cases one can follow the wise counsel of the original Malcolm Forbes, loosely paraphrased: 'One has no loss if one does not sell'. In the island case selling reflects a very illiquid market (I bought mine when it had been on the market for two years and it took a year to sell it). In the case of listed shares the sale is easy. I admit that I also have unlisted shares, which can be as illiquid as are islands. Lucky for me my unlisted shares seem to be in very high demand from properly certified investors who are already shareholders, but that is a far cry from listed shares.

In sum, the grass is always greener on the other side...

It is an excellent time to be long TSLA. I will sell nothing so defer capital gains until/unless I really want cash.

To be fair I must comment.
In my experience owning an island is far more stressful than it is stress-relieving. Managing water supply assuming salt water surrounds the island in question) electricity, supplies and repairs is not for the faint hearted. A couple decades of island ownership did provide some excellent experiences for me, but having to fly my own airplane to get close enough for a boat, doing all the maintenance and paying import duties for every little thing made it an interminable hassle. Obviously, if one can choose an island less remote than was mine does give some relief from the hassles.

Enduring the travails of an investor are vastly easier IMHO. At least one manages to make independent decisions, live with the consequences and not have much interference in doing so. Just as in an island the capital gains can be deferred indefinitely. In both cases one can follow the wise counsel of the original Malcolm Forbes, loosely paraphrased: 'One has no loss if one does not sell'. In the island case selling reflects a very illiquid market (I bought mine when it had been on the market for two years and it took a year to sell it). In the case of listed shares the sale is easy. I admit that I also have unlisted shares, which can be as illiquid as are islands. Lucky for me my unlisted shares seem to be in very high demand from properly certified investors who are already shareholders, but that is a far cry from listed shares.

In sum, the grass is always greener on the other side...

It is an excellent time to be long TSLA. I will sell nothing so defer capital gains until/unless I really want cash.
Except he is not long Tesla. If he was long Tesla he wouldn't "freak out" and thought about it all night. Who still lose sleep over this BS with his wealth? That's what I was saying and not to take what I said too literal about island buying.

The Middle-BB stood at $947.57 at the Open today.

Today's Intraday Low during the Pre-market was $946.85

sc.TSLA.50-DayChart.2020-06-25.09-30.png

Macros have turned positive (NASDAQ-100 / NDX) at the Open. I'll be watching for a bounce off the Middle-BB. Let's see how determined these shortzes are.

EDIT: Macros went South again at 09:40 and shortzes jumped on the opportunity.

Last edited:
Except he is not long Tesla. If he was long Tesla he wouldn't "freak out" and thought about it all night. Who still lose sleep over this BS with his wealth? That's what I was saying and not to take what I said too literal about island buying.
I disagree because the only definition of a "long" is holding the stock. It matters very little about the emotional level or the closeness one comes to bailing... until he hits the button he has been long, and is long.

and there it goes
no stopping it now until someone decides it’s enough

i don’t consider it much of an opportunity yet, though

the algos are now in the drivers seat
Shortzes are exploiting a dip in the macros right now. With a positive jobs report, that may change.

TSLA is definately on sale right now below the Middle-BB.

EDIT: 10:20 ET "I think I can, I think I can... Woo, Woo!" :p

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2020-06-25.10-20.png

Last edited:
This compressed air scheme is guaranteed worse than hydro pumped storage.

!

Well, one thing it does have going for it is that it can be put anywhere. It doesn’t require much of a particular geographical terrain. And in contrast to storage of hydrogen, I wouldn’t mind a big storage of liquid air near my town as much.

I see heating the liquid air up as a bit of an issue, because it is easy to get your heat exchangers frozen all over and then they aren’t as happy to exchange heat.

yes, i saw your BB comment earlier (or maybe late last night)

so it has broken the middle line, what possibilities exist below the line when broken
Well, I wouldn't call the Middle-BB line 'broken' yet, it's just a buying signal for technical traders. FYI, on the 50-day Chart I posted at 09:35 you can see a 'Golden Cross' coming with the 50-Day Moving Avg and the Lower-BB but we ain't there yet!

Of course. if shortzes really insist on giving away free money, traders will take it. But the SP is back up to $948.46 as I write this while the Middle-BB has moved to $947.27 so the fight for the Middle-BB is not over!

This is a classic pitched battle. One which I'm enjoying because I know what's coming in September... :p

Cheers!

EDIT: Looks like some more buyers came in at 10:00 SP over $950 now... :D

Last edited:
The way I look at it is:
1. It's a computer kept in a very hostile environment.
2. Cabin overheat protection hasn't been around for that long.
3. Computers typically get replaced every three to five years.
4. Now that there is cabin overheat protection, the MCUs should last far longer (assumes people actually use it).
Replacing the computer (mine was replaced at six and one half years) at long intervals appears to be just a part of normal maintenance. i don't really see any problem. (I have a problem with the reduction in Supercharging kW.)
The failure is primarily an issue of flash wear due to excessive writes.

While there's a possibility average cabin temps influence that somewhat, it's likely just a matter of speeding it up a bit in really warm climates. Cabin overheat protection wouldn't stop it. Changing the system to be smart about how it treats flash memory, and or the quality of the part is what effectively addresses it.

Reactions: Drumheller
I do not understand the crap he is talking about, But here again, I can read a person, and I understand his logic. I think he found something, and gave the most likely reason it changed.

Talking about binary numbers that store battery energy values.

Example:

2 bits: If you use 2 bits (digits) of memory to store the kWh values, you can store up to btw 0 and 3. Those can be scaled to whatever you want, but basically you only get enough resolution for 4 values.

00 --> 0
01 --> 1
10 --> 2
11 --> 3

3 bits: Now you double the resolution to 8 values. If you keep the same scaling as in 2 bits, you can go twice as high. Or you could keep the same range, but improve the resolution.

000 --> 0
001 --> 1
010 --> 2
011 --> 3
100 --> 4
101 --> 5
110 --> 6
111 --> 7

So he is saying tesla upped the number of bits from 10 to 11. So now they are either increasing the max battery range (more likely), or I guess could increase the resolution for the same range.

He's saying the other numbers are all wacky because they are still assuming that Battery Capacity value is based on 10 bits (digits).

If you were only looking at the 2 left digits of the 3 bit example above, you would not be getting the same values as in the 2 bit example, and it would all come out wacky like he says.