Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(Shakes my head and stares at the ground)

I can fix the old school cars and motorcycles with the best of them. I've proven over the years to have an unnaturally keen ability to get right to the heart of the matter. I got there through experience. And therein lies the problem. The old school vehicles were such that you would get a lot of experience figuring out why they didn't run right (or why they didn't run at all)..

I would rather have something that just plain worked all the time, and worked well. In the rare case that it stopped working it would not trouble me if I couldn't fix it on the side of the road (because it's so rare). People used to brag that they got more than 100,000 miles out of their car before it was worthless junk. 20 mpg was stellar! Oil changes were needed every 3,000 miles (that's 12 times a year if you drive 100 miles/day).

The only reason we liked the cars was because they were the best we had. It was all we had.
The only reason?
I tend to like my "old" cars from what I did in em, or where they took me. I was poor. So I did NOT like them much, or often.

Updated short interest:

15,139,641 shares, $15.002B at risk.

Ihor's estimate was 16.17M shares, 6.81% too high.

upload_2020-6-26_12-4-21.png

I believe that depends upon the agreement you signed with your broker. But, I think in general, if you have anything in your account (put options, for example) that use your long shares as collateral, then your broker has the right to lend out your shares. At least that has been my understanding for some time.
All of this below is assuming that you don't have margin enabled.

Buying options with cash never uses anything as collateral. You are buying the options, they're yours to sell, exercise, or let expire. (There are delta hedging effects, of course, but this doesn't affect the ownership/lending status of your stock, other than its value.)

Selling options does use collateral. If you sell a put option, 100x the strike price in cash (that is, what you would owe if the option were to be exercised) will be held as collateral. The only way that stock is held as collateral is if you sell a call option, in which case 100 shares of the underlying stock will be held as collateral (and presumably that's where lending may come in). Note that you can't sell a naked call (which has unlimited loss potential, just like actually shorting the stock) without margin, because of this - without margin you must have the actual stock to be held as collateral.

And then spreads are another thing.

In all cases, the long leg of the spread acts as protection against the short leg getting exercised.

In a debit spread (where the long leg's strike price is closer to the current price and is therefore more valuable), the maximum loss is what you paid for the spread, so no collateral is held, you own the spread (but you can't sell the long leg of the spread without having collateral for the short leg, replacing it with another long leg in the same order, or buying back the short leg in the same order!) If the short leg were to somehow get exercised, the long leg guarantees profits even, of 100x the difference between the strike prices.

In a credit spread, the maximum loss is if the short leg (more valuable) gets exercised, causing you to have to exercise the long leg - therefore it's 100x the difference between the strike prices - and that is the cash collateral that must be held. (Note that even in a call credit spread, where the short leg would normally mean unlimited loss potential, the long leg limits the loss, and therefore only cash needs to be held as collateral, not stock.)

Last edited:
New UNECE regulation for L3 vehicles driving up to 60km/h on roads with no pedestrians and cyclists has been agreed on internationally and the EU already notified to put it in force.

It is of course just 60km/h but a strat to get L3 implemented and I would assume when results look positive an increase will be implemented at a later point in time.

Progress at last

UN Regulation on Automated Lane Keeping Systems is milestone for safe introduction of ‎automated vehicles in traffic ‎
Are there even any roads without pedestrians/bicycles where 60km/h is safe from whiplash?

Interesting. So, a big bump up on Jun 30.

Here's a Chart from the final trading day of Q1 2020:

TSLA.chart.2020-03-31.png

Here's a Chart from the final trading day of Q4 2019:

TSLA.chart.2019-12-31.png

Here's a Chart from the final trading day of Q3 2019:

TSLA.chart.2019-09-30.png

So 2 out of 3 ain't bad? Note that TSLA was flat going into the end of 2019 Q3, so there was no special motivation for Large Funds to 'load up'.

HTH.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to deliveries announcement this quarter to see if this weird 2 day delay in market reaction continues.

How great would it be if we could process big news items for a day, make a trade, and not miss the upswing! Gonna buy some near term calls on p/d day if it's good/great and the market shrugs.
Well the 4th of July holiday will interfere with that here in the States if they announce after-hours on the 2nd as the 3rd (Friday) is the recognized holiday and the markets will be closed until Monday the 6th. Plenty of time for FUD to flood if the intent is to keep the SP down.

Now if P/D is around 90K, Katie bar the door!

Well the 4th of July holiday will interfere with that here in the States if they announce after-hours on the 2nd as the 3rd (Friday) is the recognized holiday and the markets will be closed until Monday the 6th. Plenty of time for FUD to flood if the intent is to keep the SP down.

Now if P/D is around 90K, Katie bar the door!

If the number is truly great, above 92k....I don't see Elon missing the chance to hammer it to Wall st by releasing any later than before market opens on July 2nd. Tesla might say there's a greater % of cars that could still be added to deliveries that they're still counting than they normally do if they want to rush out a positive surprise.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I don't know why you would call them "friends" if you are helping them set up "trading" accounts. Friends don't encourage friends to trade.

Perhaps you meant setting up a brokerage account for investment purposes. :)

I don't think this distinction is made often enough. When someone asks what I do and I tell them I've been retired for decades they want to know what I do for income. When I tell them I'm an investor the most common thing for them to say is "Oh, you're a day-trader?" I have to tell them I don't day-trade, that's too much work and too little return. I'm an investor. This often leaves them looking puzzled which is the only clue I need to know that they don't understand how to harness the power of compounding. o_O
Right... I was just thinking more people buying shares of TSLA regardless of their initial motivation.

@aubreymcfato and @StealthP3D How is a buy and hold strategy "compounding"?

Compounding would be if shares earned dividends in the form of shares or something... It's not compounding if it's just the value of our shares steadily increasing arithmetically, is it?

Buying and holding call options might be using leverage, -still not compounding without repeatedly rolling winnings into increasing numbers of shares or contracts or something.

Wouldn't compounding require something like getting dividends in the form of shares that themselves will grow into more shares?

What am I missing?

Reactions: Nocturnal
If the number is truly great, above 92k....I don't see Elon missing the chance to hammer it to Wall st by releasing any later than before market opens on July 2nd. Tesla might say there's a greater % of cars that could still be added to deliveries that they're still counting than they normally do if they want to rush out a positive surprise.
Well one thing's for sure... we'll know in about a week!

Right... I was just thinking more people buying shares of TSLA regardless of their initial motivation.

Compounding would be if shares earned dividends in the form of shares or something... It's not compounding if it's just the value of our shares steadily increasing arithmetically, is it?

Buying and holding call options might be using leverage, -still not compounding without repeatedly rolling winnings into increasing numbers of shares or contracts or something.

Wouldn't compounding require something like getting dividends in the form of shares that themselves will grow into more shares?

What am I missing?

The only thing you want to compound is what is compounded... the money.

Reactions: aubreymcfato

What am I missing?
When we talk about Tesla growing at 40% per year, that's compounding growth. 2020 is 140% of 2019 and 2021 is 140% of 2020, so on and so forth. So by holding, you get to take part in every stage of that growth. If you jump in and out, not only you'll be missing out on some of that, you'll also be paying unnecessary capital gain tax. Compounding is not tied to dividend reinvesting.

Lol, Dude! Do you remember that quarter (was it Q3 2018?) when Telsa actually BEAT their numbers, then the Financial Media ALL published false headlines and pre-written stories saying that Tesla posted a 'miss'?

Of course stories got corrected (3 days later). On page 13. After the MMs had readjusted their shortzes. :p

Cheers!
Yap! Seen the same strategy happen multiple times. I think it was Q2 2019 that email was leaked that they could hit 100k and all the estimates shot up then they dropped the stock like a brick when it was only 95-97k. I think it quickly recovered as it was a new record but I’m sure some shorts escaped under that one. I hate moving targets. CNBC tried to say street est was 90k for Q1 this year when it was 79k

This is as good a time as any to go on the record with my prediction for 2020 Tesla vehicle production:

526,750 vehicles total in 2020​

Now, 1.5 cyberbux for anyone who can guess how I got here; 5 cyberbux if you can guess where this is going... ;)

Cheers!
230,000 Fremont 100,000 Shanghai 2nd half of year. 196,750 1st half total. Could easily hit 550 thousand total this year.

230,000 Fremont 100,000 Shanghai 2nd half of year. 196,750 1st half total. Could easily hit 550 thousand total this year.
Good analysis! Mine's based on working back from 4M vehicles produced in 2025 with a 1.5x growth multiple:

526,750 vehicles total in 2020
790,123 vehicles total in 2021
1,185,185 vehicles total in 2022
1,777,778 vehicles total in 2023
2,666,667 vehicles total in 2024
4,000,000 vehicles total in 2025​

Now, these targets may sound fanciful and arbitary, but I'm here to tell you there's really no other way to do 'Logistics' at this scale and for a world-wide supply chain.

You have to tell each supplier what volumes, when to deliver, and tell them far enough in advance so they can be prepared. When the growth rate is very large, its even more important to provide multi-year production targets, so everyone can pull in the same direction. This is NOT a trivial undertaking.

Elon said: "The Model 3 rampup is one of the cleanest exponentials I have ever seen".

Tesla in 2025 said: "Hold my Beer!"

Cheers!

P.S. I see one of the 'bear' analysts reduced their 2020 production estimate to 450ish thouand, presumably because Tesla missed 7 weeks of production in Fremont and 7/52 * 363K = ~48k fewer vehicles.

This is false. Tesla is not production bound due to final assembly, or paint, or body. Tesla's production capacity at Fremont is now large enough that production is limited by logistics. You can not build a car without the windshields and air bags and wheels and tires and brakes...

So the 7 weeks lost at Fremont (but only 2-3 at Shanghai) will be easily made up AS LONG AS their suppliers deliver the contracted parts. They may need overtime, but they should be able to catch up by year end. I do not expect 2020 final Production numbers to be affected by the March shutdown.

Cheers!

Last edited:

What am I missing?

All Compounding cares about is the Account Balance/Net Liquidity. Doesn't matter how it increased(or decreased) in value.