Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait, Elon, who's very jolly in this interview, says there were 5 people working at Tesla in 2014, to 60,000 people working at Tesla in 2020?

Maybe too jolly?
Maybe he said 5,000. 5 is clearly incorrect, since the Model S was well into production in 2014. Or maybe he said/meant 2004? I don't know and don't have time to watch it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Decades back, I was driving a 1969 Firebird convertible, while my wife had a Volvo 240 DL station wagon. Obviously, I was not a fan of station wagons. But one day I happened to be driving my wife’s car — traffic had come to a stop in the 91 freeway in Orange County — a young man in a 1963 Chevy Impala rear ended me at about 40 to 50 miles per hour.

The big cushioned seat of the Volvo absorbed the impact as I gently rolled backward, leaving me almost in prone position on my back. The engine and drivetrain dropped out the car to ground, I imagine as a safety measure to protect the occupants. The entire car crumpled in the middle absorbing the impact of the collision.

I climbed out the car unharmed, in a state of awe. The folks at Volvo make a fine car, a safe car. In regard to safety, they have had their mind right for a long time.

Should any ICE car company emerge healthy in the age of electric vehicles, my hope is that Volvo succeeds.
Of course they did not. Ford tried and failed now Geely seems bent on doing better, as they've seemingly done with London Taxi with the TX4 and:
TX - The Electric Taxi | New Electric Taxi | ZERO Deposit for March deliveries only £189 per week* | LEVC

It is interesting that the visual spirit of Volvo remains intact. I hope Polestar does well with BEVs and London Taxi too.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Can I get some help for this tax related question?

Say that I have sold a Jan 21 $100 Tsla call for $140k, it is deep ITM. And at the end of the year 2020, if Tesla goes to $3000 and If I cover the call and realize the loss, say $150k loss, can I use that loss to offset my gain this year? (Some short term gain from selling put and buying short term calls)

Say that I have sold a Jan 21 $100 Tsla call for $140k, it is deep ITM. And at the end of the year 2020, if Tesla goes to $3000 and If I cover the call and realize the loss, say $150k loss, can I use that loss to offset my gain this year? (Some short term gain from selling put and buying short term calls)

Yes.

Something's up:

Just got an Tesla survey email. They are inquiring if I want a TESLA energy provider contract. They would deliver the electricity using solar, powerwall etc and I only pay per use.

Looks they are preparing to become a utility in Germany.

Or they are just doing a survey ..

View attachment 570968
They already are licensed in the UK and are members of EPEX. They absolutely intend to grow this business, in all its variety, in all probability. Autobidder makes this a ready made high margin business for them and a good deal for consumers too, in many places.

I did not know this, and am happy you posted it. While unsurprising it is definitely good news, in my opinion.

Yes, but you need to look into what selling calls would wash to per the Wash Rule to make sure you could deduct in 2020. I assume to other downside derivatives of TSLA (eg buying puts, shorting, etc) so you’d need to make sure you didn’t start any of those positions within 30 days before or after your loss.

Not a tax professional. Just what I’ve gathered from my research.

Buying TSLA snoopy dance.PNG

Orders filled at $1436, more orders at $1425 & $1404.

While I feel for those playing options and short term bets who have been crushed from stock action since earnings, I can't help but laugh at the past week. I don't really care when or how the share price moves up, I'm just a casual observer at this point.

But the stock action has shown how much people can convince themselves of their own theories or buy into a theory just based off a Youtube video or two. The whole idea that S&P index funds are "allowed" to start buying shares in anticipation of the a S&P inclusion announcement has pretty much been blown out of the water at this point. If anything it's show that they can't do diddly squat until a S&P inclusion announcement happens and Wall St is taking the opportunity to crush all the investors that played options/margin in anticipation of that event happening.

Honestly knowing how shady Wall St and the whole system is(I mean the Moody's upgrade was a joke of an upgrade and we all know the relationship between Moody's and Wall St) makes me think the S&P committee is going to hold out for a while(at least 3-4 weeks) to announce Tesla's inclusion to let Wall St take a hammer to the stock price in the meantime.

MarketWatch - 8 minutes ago: Why the S&P 500 may now be easier to beat and what this means for your investments

Excerpt:

Tesla would be the latest example of how inclusion in the S&P 500 weakens a company's stock performance

It would be ironic if Tesla's stock price peaks just as it joins the S&P 500.

While it isn't a certainty that Tesla (TSLA) will become part of the U.S. benchmark stock index, there is widespread speculation that it will happen.

As my MarketWatch colleague Andrea Riquier recently pointed out (Tesla shares have surged on hope of inclusion in the S&P 500. But does being added to an index help a stock?), a new academic study has found that, beginning around a decade ago, getting added to the S&P 500 causes a stock to drop.

"The positive announcement effect on the stock price of index inclusion has disappeared and the long-run impact of index inclusion has become negative," this new study's authors report (Does Joining the S&P 500 Index Hurt Firms?).
More Tesla FUD.

Why else would such a story come out at a time like this?

While I feel for those playing options and short term bets who have been crushed from stock action since earnings, I can't help but laugh at the past week. I don't really care when or how the share price moves up, I'm just a casual observer at this point.

But the stock action has shown how much people can convince themselves of their own theories or buy into a theory just based off a Youtube video or two. The whole idea that S&P index funds are "allowed" to start buying shares in anticipation of the a S&P inclusion announcement has pretty much been blown out of the water at this point. If anything it's show that they can't do diddly squat until a S&P inclusion announcement happens and Wall St is taking the opportunity to crush all the investors that played options/margin in anticipation of that event happening.

Honestly knowing how shady Wall St and the whole system is(I mean the Moody's upgrade was a joke of an upgrade and we all know the relationship between Moody's and Wall St) makes me think the S&P committee is going to hold out for a while(at least 3-4 weeks) to announce Tesla's inclusion to let Wall St take a hammer to the stock price in the meantime.
That sir, is an opportunity. Too bad I just looked at Nov/Jan calls and the pricing is absurd.

I think i'm going to just stick to buying one share at a time. Selling Chevron puts today to fund 2!