Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Polestar 2 first drive: Why Tesla might not be the competition for this particular EV

Interesting quote:

"We asked Polestar about Tesla, but the company said its data and research pointed out that Tesla wasn’t its real competition. It turns out Tesla owners and buyers interested in the brand only want one thing — a Tesla. They are not interested in cross-shopping when that car is the only option in their mind."

So true.

It gets interesting when they can't service their debt, a last thrash of lobbying and then crash.

Exxon Debt to Equity Ratio 2006-2020 | XOM
"Exxon debt/equity for the three months ending June 30, 2020 was 0.25."

"Historical daily share price chart and data for Exxon since 1970 adjusted for splits. The latest closing stock price for Exxon as of August 07, 2020 is 43.44.
  • The all-time high Exxon stock closing price was 104.38 on June 23, 2014.
  • The Exxon 52-week high stock price is 75.18, which is 73.1% above the current share price.
  • The Exxon 52-week low stock price is 30.11, which is 30.7% below the current share price.
  • The average Exxon stock price for the last 52 weeks is 56.99."

So Exxon only has to fall to 10 with existing debt or maybe 20 with extra debt they will incur, each debt issue costing more. There are probably much weaker ones that will go first, so banks and others will get early warning, ratcheting up the pressure.

Industry-wide for Oil & gas: 0.71 (in 2019) according to Industry ratios (benchmarking): Debt-to-equity ratio and it's probably worse than when these figures were compiled.

So on average - in 2020, debt to equity is probably near 1. Some worse, with further losses and debt to come.

This means that many Oil & Gas companies are WORTHLESS.

Lot's and lot's of anecdotal evidence there.

On both sides. Which is kinda my point :)

I'm putting my money on the guy who lands rocket's on ship on the ocean.

There's a long history of great geniuses having a ton of successes, mixed in with any number of failures or dead ends.

Hell part of Elons success is his willingness to fail along the way.... see the iterative "it's fine if the early ones blow up" SpaceX development model... or his willingness to scrap and re-write APs core code right now.

Hence what I mentioned to the other guy earlier- I absolutely believe Tesla is taking the best approach to solving FSD (vision and heavy data), and likewise believe they're ahead of anyone else in pursuing that goal.

That doesn't mean they'll achieve it on current HW- or even with next gen HW- or ever do so at full L5. Just that they're more likely to do so, and sooner, than anyone else.

Remember there's exceptionally brilliant folks who were the leaders in fusion research decades ago who still don't have a working commercial reactor. Some problems are really hard and no amount of genius solves them in just a few years.

Thus why I don't think it's reasonable to price in L5 or robotaxis to any short/mid term valuation on SP.... If they get there- awesome. Even if it NEVER goes further than RTs in dense urban areas plus autonomy for personal cars that's essentially a blank check for the company, insane upside- and if it goes further even moreso. But it's unlikely they're gonna do so in that timeframe (and even less likely they'd do so AND have wide commercial approval in such a timeframe).

Polestar 2 first drive: Why Tesla might not be the competition for this particular EV

Interesting quote:

"We asked Polestar about Tesla, but the company said its data and research pointed out that Tesla wasn’t its real competition. It turns out Tesla owners and buyers interested in the brand only want one thing — a Tesla. They are not interested in cross-shopping when that car is the only option in their mind."

So true.

What people in media and finance don't get is that a Volvo EV will have buyers who want a Volvo and think EVs are the future. Ditto with a Cadillac EV - people will buy it instead of buying an Escalade or whatever. The Audi e-tron will steal people over from the A6 and Q7 buyers.

So the Polestar is a S60-killer.

On both sides. Which is kinda my point :)

There's a long history of great geniuses having a ton of successes, mixed in with any number of failures or dead ends.

Hell part of Elons success is his willingness to fail along the way.... see the iterative "it's fine if the early ones blow up" SpaceX development model... or his willingness to scrap and re-write APs core code right now.

Hence what I mentioned to the other guy earlier- I absolutely believe Tesla is taking the best approach to solving FSD (vision and heavy data), and likewise believe they're ahead of anyone else in pursuing that goal.

That doesn't mean they'll achieve it on current HW- or even with next gen HW- or ever do so at full L5. Just that they're more likely to do so, and sooner, than anyone else.

Remember there's exceptionally brilliant folks who were the leaders in fusion research decades ago who still don't have a working commercial reactor. Some problems are really hard and no amount of genius solves them in just a few years.

Thus why I don't think it's reasonable to price in L5 or robotaxis to any short/mid term valuation on SP.... If they get there- awesome. Even if it NEVER goes further than RTs in dense urban areas plus autonomy for personal cars that's essentially a blank check for the company, insane upside- and if it goes further even moreso. But it's unlikely they're gonna do so in that timeframe (and even less likely they'd do so AND have wide commercial approval in such a timeframe).

Fair enough.

I will admit time frames are not EM strong point.

But he does have visibility into the problem non of us have.

Industry-wide for Oil & gas: 0.71 (in 2019) according to Industry ratios (benchmarking): Debt-to-equity ratio and it's probably worse than when these figures were compiled.

So on average - in 2020, debt to equity is probably near 1. Some worse, with further losses and debt to come.

This means that many Oil & Gas companies are WORTHLESS.

errr... same source lists TSLA at 0.98- which is certainly "near" 1.

I don't think anybody here'd agree the company is worthless though.

Oil and gas has a lot of companies that only make economic sense when prices are high- lots of them will be going away and fast.

That doesn't mean the whole industry will.

Even if Tesla continued bumping production 50% year over year for a while going forward (likely)- and the "competition" finally shows up in large numbers (significantly LESS likely)... there'll still be lots of gas cars sold for years to come.

And lots of stuff other than gasoline still uses FF and will for some time yet too (including rubber and plastics on cars)

Other than slowing for an occasional intersection on the 2 lane roads, or pulling into my driveway or destination, I'm almost never doing 22 mph or slower.

Sigh...You don't seem to understand the 22 mph is not how fast you are driving - it's the Average Moving Speed over the course of an entire shift. It includes the loading, unloading, waiting for a fare, waiting at stop lights or signs, etc. It's an average (yet you keep looking at it as if it's the speed you are actually driving). The demand for transportation varies through the day so you cannot expect to have a fare 100% of the time. I can tell you are not very familiar with how much impact those things have on the average speed. It's very difficult to keep it high over the course of an entire day.

Again, it seems like your main purpose here is disrupt the forum so I'm done responding on this matter.

Been driving FSD in PM3- and PMY. Trying my best since 2016 with a Model X first gen.

All I know, is that until I see some evidence that FSD has a clue about potholes - it has none - or that it begins to show some idea what it means to merge or to follow the right path when a road forks - it is a mess - or that it understands the dangers of the gutters in the left lane - it is completely oblivious - then I am not convinced at all. Not at all. Not even talking edge cases here. This is routine driving. Still waiting for this exponential improvement when the AI awakens.

I think the most optimistic thing I have heard is Elon‘s statement that the entire software package is getting flushed for a new and improved one in a couple of months that sees in 3D. Obviously, what we have at this point is little more than an upgraded TACC and I think that this acknowledges that. Very interested to see what the rewrite can bring and how fast it can be corrected and fine tuned with all the data they have.

But seriously, until we have a real appreciation of the pot hole difficulties, we are spinning our wheels in any urban area with high traffic, especially those subject to freeze thaw cycles in the winter.

I have tried to use the FSD as much as possible to provide data but it is just stress merging onto the GCP and dealing with idiots and road issues. Easier to just drive.

Interesting quote:

So true.
"Today the iPhone Killers found out they were competing for the market of people who didn't actually want an iPhone"
- circa 2008

Sigh...You don't seem to understand the 22 mph is not how fast you are driving - it's the Average Moving Speed over the course of an entire shift. It includes the loading, unloading, waiting for a fare, waiting at stop lights or signs, etc. It's an average (yet you keep looking at it as if it's the speed you are actually driving).

That's great.

It still appears to be a number pulled out of thin air though.

The demand for transportation varies through the day so you cannot expect to have a fare 100% of the time.

Why do you keep repeating obvious things everyone already knows and many have even specifically mentioned as if they're revelations you're bringing to light for the first time?

I can tell you are not very familiar with how much impact those things have on the average speed

No, you can't.

Just like you couldn't tell how I wasn't familiar with the speed in NYC being lower than 22 mph, despie my having mentioned that fact long before you did.

As seems your pattern, you just dismiss anyone calling you on it as "not familiar" with whatever the topic, while refusing to source a single claim of your own..... (and even funnier the one time you tried to provide a source- the uber link- it didn't actually support your claim)

Again, it seems like your main purpose here is disrupt the forum

I'm not sure that word means what you think it means.

I'm participating in a discussion with a number of other investors here- presenting facts when available, opinions when not and clearly labeling them as such and providing as much background and explanation as I can for them, and asking those claiming their own statements as facts to support them with sources- which you appear to be unwilling to do.

Everyone other than you has been polite, respectful, and quite honest in their discussion of this so far.

I did notice after pointing out you kept parroting my own points back to me and pretending they were yours you went back and disliked a bunch of my posts though. Classy!

so I'm done responding on this matter.

That's fine-excluding your 22 mph thing you never were able to show a source for I can just re-read my own original post to get all the actual points you then tried to present as your own :)

My understanding is that you provide data whether or not AP is engaged (as long as you've clicked okay on the screen).

Yup.

Greentheonly has a fairly deep dive on twitter about this- but people grossly misunderstand how and when Tesla is doing data collection.

Many think the car is somehow watching everything that do and sending back detailed data every time they actively do something the computer wouldn't to "teach" the car.

Nothing remotely like that happens.

Tesla data collection is mostly campaigns where they'll do stuff like send out to the fleet "send me pictures of bicycles" and then use that to train the master NN back at HQ on bicycle recognition.

There is a "disengagement" report, but it contains very little data (mostly GPS location and if you disengaged via brake, wheel, or stalk)- presumably this would be useful for them figuring out "This one spot is a trouble spot for some reason" but it's not "learning" how humans drive or anything remotely like that.

Here's the thread:
https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1096322810694287361?lang=en

Teslas huge data advantage is in large part they can have a million cars all send them back real-world pics of some specific class of thing, not just run "simulated miles" to try training on generic objects.

Even Tesla on autonomy day cited $1/mile but then admitted it was an arbitrary number not based on much of anything.

Nobody really knows what the real cost will be... or what # of cars would be legit "replaced" with RTs in any given area for any given cost... Or even the best ways (or real costs) to address the various infrastructure issues RTs present (refueling, cleaning, idle areas, acceptably high availability in non-dense areas, etc...).... because it's a product that doesn't yet exist, and we don't really know what adoption rates would look like in different areas, and all the surrounding costs would build off of those.

I think Tesla even managing to offer L3 highway driving would make FSD a huge financial boon for the SP, as that's still way in advance of what anyone else offers- and seems a lot more in reach too...and doesn't really require any guesswork or making up a lot of #s regarding disrupting the entire transport system.

To me it makes sense to include that in thinking about SP going forward, as I think they're not especially far away from being able to do something like that...

L5 RTs? See the previous poster about the black swan thing and why heavily figuring that into any near/mid term SP calculations is...dubious.

Nope. At autonomy day they projected a cost below $0.18 / mile. $1.00 / mile was a guess at what they would initially charge. There’s lots of demand at $1.00 / mile PLUS lots of room to lower the price over time as needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: replicant
Tried to consolidate all replies to 1 post since the thread is already crazy big :)

Do you have a source for the 22 mph being typical? I'd imagine it's even slower in say NYC, but it's be a LOT higher here in NC where I live (and pretty much the entire country outside dense urban cities if we're gonna pretend robotaxis will replace lots of "normal" cars too not just in dense cities).

It also appears to ignore that a good portion of the country, especially some of the larger denser cities in the US, are in the north where it's very cold a lot of the year- and efficiency to keep the cabin warm for riders causes a significant range hit (I suppose the Y will do better here than the 3 at least)

It also appears to assume all the RTs will be long-range vehicles... an SR+ already can't make it 264 miles.

Sure, as soon as someone invests the money to build those things.

Which I specifically mentioned as an option in my post.

In fact the option that probably makes the most sense (well, SOME charging stations with an attendent, be it SCs, urban SCs, or just regular 240 service of some kind).

This will be even more needed as you start trying to replace things like trucks, where someone calls an RT to transport a truck full of dirt or gravel or something for them... suddenly someone needs to clean the bed out.

I guess you also missed where I specifically mentioned none of these problems were show stoppers, they'd just require some $ outlay to fix because the infrastructure as Tesla built it for long-range road trips is vastly different from that needed for lots of short-range taxi trips, and even WITH that spend would still easily be a cash cow for the company.

Not really though.

Because a robotaxi can run 24/7. I know uber drivers that only drive a few hours a day. So One RT likely replaces like 3-5 rideshare hail drivers at least.

So cut that number down quite a bit for how many RTs are actually "needed" instead of uber/lyft cars.

(note too your source uses "probably" a lot in citing number of drivers- a quick search shows a pretty wide array of guesses at the real #)

FWIW I don't disagree at all Tesla is well ahead of anyone else trying the vision-only approach (and that that is the ideal approach)- I just disagree with the idea the current HW is sufficient to reach L5. (the fact they've already changed it multiple times since originally claiming it was sufficient seems pretty good evidence they don't actually know how much is sufficient until they get there.... see also Elon himself saying you shouldn't trust any prediction he makes about a thing he hasn't ever done before- and how many such predictions he's gotten wrong before)

Nope.

I grew up in NY.

I'm very very very familiar with dense urban situations and taxis in those environments.

The fact I'm in NC now gives me the other side of that perspective. (and I've lived in both "cities" in NC, and now "out in the country"). I've also spent time in quite a lot of major cities elsewhere in the US (and western Europe).

There's very very very little in the way of taxis here- because they don't make nearly the same economic sense.

There's SOME uber/lyft presence, not so much close to my house but maybe 15-20 minutes away you can reasonably find one within 10 minutes.... but again massively less than in dense cities. Mostly you need to own a car here.... whereas I think anyone owning a car in NYC is insane.

That said- there's still like 2 million NYC residents who own private cars.

Despite MASSIVE availability of taxis, uber, subways, buses, etc.

That's why I think the idea everyone dumps their cars when robotaxis get here doesn't hold up to the facts.

People like owning cars. Even in places it makes NO SENSE for them to do so.

See above. Owning a car in NYC is crazy expensive. Parking alone can be more than a car payment in lots of parts of the city.

Yet a couple million people still do it. Despite easy public transit and a very walkable city on top.

So the idea they'll all stop owning those cars once their taxi doesn't have a driver appears just wishful/magical thinking.

Even moreso the folks in less urban areas.

Again- if someone only wants to get from A to B and doesn't care about owning the vehicle or it being a specific vehicle- we'd see most cars being sold being $15,000 econoboxes.... instead of an average new car price in the US of around $35,000, and pickup trucks and SUVs being wildly popular.

See also all the private car owners in dense urban cities with excellent, cheap, public transit- why do they still own cars?

Why would RTs change their mind?

I agree RTs would likely replace SOME private vehicles. There's some % especially where when their existing car is on its way out, going full RT might be a reasonable replacement.

I just think some estimates of how many are wildly, wildly, optimistic. See again how many folks in places like NYC where owning a car makes 0 sense still own a car. Millions.

And increasingly so as you get outside dense urban cities.

So I agree with your points 1-3.... the question is- where I live for example I'm roughly 15-20 minutes from any retail other than a gas station type store.... I'm ~30 minutes to a couple of decent sized cities... and 45-60 minutes from several other major cities.

But the population density is so sparse there's no high speed internet available. (HURRY THE HELL UP STARLINK!)

I wouldn't ever consider replacing my car with a robotaxi unless 1-3 were all true.... not just at my house, but anywhere I'd be likely to travel TO so I can get back easily... but I don't see the economic model where someone buys a $40,000 robotaxi and then has it sit within 5 minutes of my house for the maybe couple of trips a day they'd ever get from me and my very sparse neighbors sitting there.

The fact it's CHEAP only works for the guy who paid for the RT if it's also making trips often.

Easy in LA, Chicago, Atlanta, etc downtown.

Less easy in the burbs.

Pretty hard in the "country"
There is so much you are assuming, you are not prepared for the paradigm shift FSD brings. In low population places in America, like suburbs of smaller cities, Uber and Lyft are not fully functional. You can’t count on them. So you need to own a car if you can. The Tesla network would serve these places. I could live in a town like indiana Pennsylvania without a car. The cost would be less too. And one person at a time for the whole city could keep the cars charged without robot chargers. I could get even from city to city on the Tesla network for cost similar to a flight. No TSA. That alone is priceless. Sure, not on long distance travel, but if I wanted Philadelphia or a Baltimore, the total time would be plane like with TSA and transport from the airport figured in.

Right now, giving up a car for just Uber in many places just won’t work. The Tesla network will.

"Clicked okay on the screen"?? I did not know that; where do I click OK to allow Tesla to benefit from my data?

-March 2018 X75D MCU 1
Under the Data & Security section at the very bottom there is a data sharing button. it's possible that doesn't have anything to do with Autopilot as it's not clear, but I'd think that Autopilot data was still data.

• Helpful
Reactions: UncaNed

Interesting quote:

So true.
One touch of the Volvo infotainment system solidifies that opinion. Once someone uses the Tesla system , and remembers how bad the competition is, Another moat is realized.

Nope. At autonomy day they projected a cost below $0.18 / mile. $1.00 / mile was a guess at what they would initially charge.

"cost" to owner and "cost" to customer are different obviously.... (also cost to Tesla if they have to build additional urban superchargers, have attendants to charge undriven cars, handling the actual network, etc)

Aand the link I posted did some math and found that the tesla owner would be losing money if they charged $1.11 a mile or less.

Other folks think $/1 mile will be hugely profitable with plenty of room to go cheaper.

Because largely everyone is guessing about the cost of a lot of things that don't even exist yet against demand numbers nobody really knows beyond existing taxi data.

Teslas replacing existing "real" taxis and rideshares in major dense urban cities is the easy case.

There should be no concerns with making that hugely profitable if/when they reach L5, even if it will require the costs I mentioned earlier to support it.

But the amount of demand for that isn't nearly enough in the US to require "millions" of robotaxis.... it'll actually require LESS of them than we have regular taxis since the RTs can run (barring charging/maintenance) 24/7 if they wish to, while most individual taxis or rideshare cars don't operate nearly that much- meaning one RT can replace multiple uber/lyft cars for example.... so even if total demand went UP the total number of CARS doing the job is likely lower for that case.

You won't need "millions" of robotaxis here unless/until you've got a working model where suburban, and even rural, folks- in areas of low population density- can use the service and have it be a legit replacement for owning a car. That's a much, much, heavier lift- and moreso the more rural/less dense you get on population.

As I mentioned- even NYC, arguably the best case in the entire nation for not owning a car and having LOTS of easy transit options, is home to almost 2 million privately owned cars ANYWAY.

So you not only have to get the folks in less dense places convinced they don't need a car- but also have a business case where an RT sitting around in an area they might only get a few calls a day makes any sense because there's just not that many folks around and many are still hanging on to a car/truck/minivan or whatever- or make a business case where folks will be ok waiting 20-30 minutes for an RT to arrive because they live someplace there's not usually enough demand for service.

There is so much you are assuming

No more than others from what I've seen.

In low population places in America, like suburbs of smaller cities, Uber and Lyft are not fully functional. You can’t count on them. So you need to own a car if you can. The Tesla network would serve these places

I live in a place like that.

An RT would have a lot more trouble paying for itself where I live than it would 30 minutes away in a "real" city.

Many folks out here have a truck they actually use as a truck- (hauling loads of dirt or gravel- pulling a ZTR out of mud/ditches, moving equipment around on acres of land, etc)... an RT can't replace that.

Roundtrip for me to work is about 75 miles... at $1/mile it'd cost me $75 per day to ditch my car for a robotaxi, even if I never went anywhere else.... That's not a sane option at all.

So the tesla network wouldn't really serve those cases at the numbers bandied about.

Now absolutely- For folks who live someplace they only drive 10 miles a day anyway, and don't need to do "work" with the vehicle throughout the day- and the population density supports the business model- $1/mile might well be a gamechanger where they ditch owning a car

(though I've yet to see anything that could be called anything but a total guess on how many people that is).

But again that's mostly just replacing the existing lyft/uber/taxi drivers at lower cost... and since one RT can replace 3-5 of those cars, you'd need demand to increase like 10-20x before you approaching needing millions of RTs.

For many folks- they'll just keep owning cars though, especially the less dense a population you live in.

And even in dense areas- look at the NYC example. ~2 million people own private cars. In NYC. Where owning a private car makes 0 sense and there's TONS of cheap public transit options.

People really like owning a car. Often a specific car- which is why folks buy things more expensive than corollas.

I could get even from city to city on the Tesla network for cost similar to a flight.

For shorter distances? Probably. Not so much long haul. Not to mention to most folks their time has value so a 12 hour drive instead of a 1 hour flight doesn't make a ton of sense even if cost was the same (and it wouldn't be at that distance).

But I mean- I can do that TODAY on a bus. Most people don't.

Sure, not on long distance travel, but if I wanted Philadelphia or a Baltimore, the total time would be plane like with TSA and transport from the airport figured in.

Again- you can do that cheaper than flying on a bus (or even a train some of the time) right now

Most folks still drive though.

Why would that change?

Last edited: