Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please stop with the stupid questions and angst. A stock split means nothing. It is defined to leave everything as it is. Everything will be either multiplied by five or divided by five to leave all things involving value the same. A share will represent only 1/5 as much of the company as it used to, and it will be worth 1/5 as much. All options will be adjusted appropriately. Nice for people with little money to invest, but such investments don't amount to much in any case.

About the only effect I can see it might have is that if all stockholders have to engage in some moderate paperwork (by way of their brokers) then it could leave shorts in a tricky position. I have no idea what that might be. Worth considering, but probably meaningless.

Maybe not with it being a dividend. If there are no shares to buy the shorts are screwed. That is why the price jump is so much the shorts have got to cover before the record date. (this is my reading of the situation, I could be completely wrong).

In Tesla's case, a split helps the company in issuing shares to potential future employees, as part of SBC (Stock-Based Compensation). Basically, it increases the number of shares, so instead of getting 20 shares after 1 year or 3 years, you get 100 shares in the same time period.

It just sounds better.

I don't understand the excitement:
1) We're still well under $1500
2) S&P may now have a good excuse to wait until after Sep 1 to add Tesla to the S&P 500.

I think everyone is excited based on the SP we've been seeing over the last 3-5 days. Positivism is a good thing :)

Maybe not with it being a dividend. If there are no shares to buy the shorts are screwed. That is why the price jump is so much the shorts have got to cover before the record date. (this is my reading of the situation, I could be completely wrong).
Why though? It doesn't make sense. The amount being shorted is exactly the same

Why though? It doesn't make sense. The amount being shorted is exactly the same

If it's "really" a dividend, the shorts owe whoever they borrowed from 4 shares of stock. On dividend day.

Not "whenever they feel like covering the original share"

That's a massive difference.

Or could be the dude who wrote the press release and used both "dividend" and "split" even thought those are fundamentally different in a subtle but real accounting sense just screwed up.

You won't be impacted, chill out

I'm not so sure about this. A stock dividend, while in theory having basically an equal effect on stockholders as a stock split, it might have an extremely different effect on the holders of call options. Holders of call options do not receive cash dividends. I don't see any reason why they would automatically achieve the positive effect of a stock dividend. If I had a bunch of in the money or out of the money call options, I would research this very carefully. Same for those that are short puts. Very happy I closed my short put position a few days ago. Actually I need to double check on that.

I'm not so sure about this. A stock dividend, while in theory having basically an equal effect on stockholders as a stock split, it might have an extremely different effect on the holders of call options. Holders of call options do not receive cash dividends. I don't see any reason why they would automatically achieve the positive effect of a stock dividend. If I had a bunch of in the money or out of the money call options, I would research this very carefully. Same for those that are short puts. Very happy I closed my short put position a few days ago. Actually I need to double check on that.
Relax.

If it's "really" a dividend, the shorts owe whoever they borrowed from 4 shares of stock. On dividend day.

Not "whenever they feel like covering the original share"

That's a massive difference.

Or could be the dude who wrote the press release and used both "dividend" and "split" even thought those are fundamentally different in a subtle but real accounting sense just screwed up.
Can’t be right. That would have huge tax implications...

I have to imagine that the timing of this has something to do with S&P inclusion and the fact that the S&P committee has been in touch with Tesla management. Why else move up the date of it when Elon already said it would be a topic for the Annual share holders meeting. I was kind of convinced we weren't getting S&P inclusion until Sept. Not so sure about that now.

Can someone explain why a stock split would cause a stock spike? Thinking that there will be more retail investors coming in because the sp is smaller?(and hence these poor souls think it's a good deal?)
My understanding is that you split the stock because there is likely to be additional SP increase. No one splits stock if the long term trend is down.